Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Riding Whistler Friday and possibly Saturday if any Mags are gonna be around...

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Loving the weston. got the split and solid backwoods. Was a little worried cos i bought them sight unseen, just based on reviews. I gotta say I rode the split inbounds on a pow day, and completely forgot i was on my split. It really holds an edge, even coming down the last pitch from spankys road to crystal chair, through the bumps and jerry's, just full euro carves.
    You're welcome to fondle them when you're up here.
    I spoke to a guy who was on the millisurf and mentioned that there was lots of upkeep involved. Light, rode good, but wouldn't necessarily buy another one. I dont know if that was because he was on karakoram, but he seemed wasn't saying best board ever.
    footage is a little shake. just got a ghetto 4 gopro. doesn't like the bumps much
    looked like a good day! yeah i know nothing about westons but they've been getting some good reviews in the last couple years. i find that's always of questionable value though. good to hear you like it, might have to take you up on your fondling offer, maybe we could even get in a tour... resort eurocarving is my gold standard test too.

wonder what the "upkeep" is? snowboards don't have much of that. i mainly want the millisurf for the weight. i'm getting slow and fat so i figure i'll throw money at the problem. its shape is pretty sexy too.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    looked like a good day! yeah i know nothing about westons but they've been getting some good reviews in the last couple years. i find that's always of questionable value though. good to hear you like it, might have to take you up on your fondling offer, maybe we could even get in a tour... resort eurocarving is my gold standard test too.

wonder what the "upkeep" is? snowboards don't have much of that. i mainly want the millisurf for the weight. i'm getting slow and fat so i figure i'll throw money at the problem. its shape is pretty sexy too.
    Hit me up when your up next. I work all weekend in the village and have my boards with me. Touring is tough weekends but can generally sneak out for a blackcomb slack "lunch break" lap if nothing crazy is going on at work.

I got the impression the weight was good going up, but that it lost some of the regular flex characteristics on the way down. most of the overengerineered snowboard stuff tends to ride like crap.

Hit me up when your up next. I work all weekend in the village and have my boards with me. Touring is tough weekends but can generally sneak out for a blackcomb slack "lunch break" lap if nothing crazy is going on at work.

I got the impression the weight was good going up, but that it lost some of the regular flex characteristics on the way down. most of the overengerineered snowboard stuff tends to ride like crap.
    will do. i try not to come up on weekends until late march if i can help it anyways.

This Utah Mag is traveling north of the boarder Sunday for my first ever trip to Whistler. I plan to ski Mon-Thurs. My buddy booked the room, so I'm not exactly sure where we're staying, other than it's walkable to a lift.

Funny that I'm leaving Utah when we're expecting a pretty good storm this Sun-Tues. Whatever the case, I'm stoked to explore a new mountain.

If any of you Canadian Mags wanna hook up for a few laps and/or beers, lemme know. I definitely could use some local beta, both about the mountain as well as the apre scene.

Cheers, y'all

^^ I'll probably be skiing, playing billiards, and consuming a single alcoholic beverage on Monday. I live in Creekside but can definitely play tour guide a bit and point you in the right direction for apres. Flick me a dm, will you have a working phone # up here?

30cm overnight and it's still dumping.

Good morning, Whistler.

Upper mountain at Blackcomb, in the cliff area, was the bees knees today. Knee deep... Cease&Desist’s were the right weapon today! Hoping it keeps up tonight so I can get some more good turns in before the hordes descend.

Heard a few of the boys skied Siberian Express on Atwell this week. Vowed never to return cos the climb was so fkn scary.

Heard a few of the boys skied Siberian Express on Atwell this week. Vowed never to return cos the climb was so fkn scary.
    Can't wait to see that. I got stopped at the ice bulge about little more than halfway up. You too? I've since decided it's past my risk tolerance

Edit. 23 reported. 45 on storm board
    Last edited by LeeLau; 02-01-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Can't wait to see that. I got stopped at the ice bulge about little more than halfway up. You too? I've since decided it's past my risk tolerance

Edit. 23 reported. 45 on storm board
    Nope wasn't involved. But the talk in Crystal line from the boys was like they had just come back from Nam. All happy to be alive.

40 new. .all is well

visited the known producers, nice!

40 new. .all is well
    Chuting? Be interested to hear about stability on that side...

Chuting? Be interested to hear about stability on that side...
    Filed a MIN. Cowboy

"On the tour of Known Producers. -3 @ 1900m. 30 - 40cms of low density snow overlaying a mix of stellars, windslab and facets with WS mostly on NW aspect above treeline and facets below treeline (lots of settlements). Skies clear, winds moderate SW at start of day. Light towards end of day. Skied E and W slopes without incident. Saw skier accidental sz 1 on typical convexity on W facing slope at treeline"

Filed a MIN. Cowboy

"On the tour of Known Producers. -3 @ 1900m. 30 - 40cms of low density snow overlaying a mix of stellars, windslab and facets with WS mostly on NW aspect above treeline and facets below treeline (lots of settlements). Skies clear, winds moderate SW at start of day. Light towards end of day. Skied E and W slopes without incident. Saw skier accidental sz 1 on typical convexity on W facing slope at treeline"
    damn blackcomb looks so so close from there.

Here's a big shout to ahmedthesailor for showing my old ass the goods on the Whistler side today. My first trip to WB, and it was great to get the lay of the land from a local. But damn it was f'n cold today.

And for the record, ahmedthesailor can rip! Thanks for the hospitality.

Do they do half day passes at all? Might be coming up next monday.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Anyone up for some turns tomorrow or a slackcountry lap?

Pemberton

Slight tangent, but have a question for the Whistler locals. My wife is interested in buying a lot to build on in Pemberton. At this point in time, at least, real estate in Pemberton is relatively affordable at least compared to Squamish and Whistler. What are the plusses and minuses of living in Pemberton? Would a couple of American city slickers go crazy there? This would be a retirement property and we might split our time between there and somewhere in the U.S. closer to the border like Blaine or Bellingham.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Slight tangent, but have a question for the Whistler locals. My wife is interested in buying a lot to build on in Pemberton. At this point in time, at least, real estate in Pemberton is relatively affordable at least compared to Squamish and Whistler. What are the plusses and minuses of living in Pemberton? Would a couple of American city slickers go crazy there? This would be a retirement property and we might split our time between there and somewhere in the U.S. closer to the border like Blaine or Bellingham.
    Pemberton is for outdoors people. It's hard to meet people unless youre a baby factory or outdoorsy. Its cliquish ( true of anywhere in BC) but remarkably so.

Its so painfully a white people's problems kind of town too ie lots of complaining about petty stuff too.

Hard to get reliable internet if you need that for work. Really hard to get trades to show up.

I like Pemberton but it isn't for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Im an American city slicker, myself, but have always dreamed of retiring to Pemberton someday, too. I agree with Lee, don’t move there for the social scene. However, my inlaws live about 30 minutes up the road near Darcy and It’s beautiful country up there. You’ll meet the dozen or so outgoing folks in town real quick and then spend a lot of time at the Pony.

If you end up building something there PM me and I can put you in touch with a local guy who does work up that way. My impression is that the money is generally better in whistler, but some guys prefer not to deal with the hassle of working there.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanwinter View Post
    Im an American city slicker, myself, but have always dreamed of retiring to Pemberton someday, too. I agree with Lee, don’t move there for the social scene. However, my inlaws live about 30 minutes up the road near Darcy and It’s beautiful country up there. You’ll meet the dozen or so outgoing folks in town real quick and then spend a lot of time at the Pony.

If you end up building something there PM me and I can put you in touch with a local guy who does work up that way. My impression is that the money is generally better in whistler, but some guys prefer not to deal with the hassle of working there.
    Cool. Thanks! To be honest the lack of a social scene doesn't bother me at all, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The Saturday inbounds forecast might be too cold for me. Not sure.

Alpine Temperature: Low -21 °C, High -16 °C
    Ridge wind northeast: 40-60 km/h.

The last time I killed skin tissue with superficial mild frostbite, I think it was only -15C at the Peak. I was fine all day, then got cocky at the end, and all it took was one high-speed top-to-bottom lap at the end to kill tissue through one small hole in my facemask.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    The Saturday inbounds forecast might be too cold for me. Not sure.

Alpine Temperature: Low -21 °C, High -16 °C
    Ridge wind northeast: 40-60 km/h.

The last time I killed skin tissue with superficial mild frostbite, I think it was only -15C at the Peak. I was fine all day, then got cocky at the end, and all it took was one high-speed top-to-bottom lap at the end to kill tissue through one small hole in my facemask.

Superficial mild frostbite aka "it's a little chilly out here today" in the East.