Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    I dunno. It's still pretty damn busy if you ask me. But the clientele is certainly of a different demographic, as mentioned. The on hill restaurants are absolutely packed to the brim from 10-3.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    So you're saying "No one goes to Whistler anymore, it's too crowded."
    I mean, I still go, so.... sorry about that!

I find it real funny how many people from Vancouver have a hard time accepting that they are being priced out. They have 3 mountains within 20 minutes from downtown, all with night skiing, that are dirt cheap. Most people out east would kill for access like that...
    Wasn't the old full retail price of a seasons pass like $2400 or something like that 5 years ago? Maybe, just buy the seasons pass and be grateful.

Consider WB didn’t have significant snow until mid December and its numbers are going to be off target regardless.

Combined with Vail’s widely acknowledged MO of reducing day skiers to create a better “guest experience”, while also shifting course by attracting destination guests with their pass programs, it all lined up for a win for the local hardcores. Hopefully the trend continues.

The whole industry is headed off a cliff with respect to demographics so enjoy what’s left of the good times while it lasts! Our family can only afford to participate becuase we live here. Warren Miller had it all along, move to a ski resort or you’ll just be one year older when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I find it real funny how many people from Vancouver have a hard time accepting that they are being priced out. They have 3 mountains within 20 minutes from downtown, all with night skiing, that are dirt cheap. Most people out east would kill for access like that...
    Wasn't the old full retail price of a seasons pass like $2400 or something like that 5 years ago? Maybe, just buy the seasons pass and be grateful.
    My brother's family gets an entire Grouse pass for $280. The kidlets are happy. He's happy.

I grew up in the East and have been riding the North Shore mtns for a decade now but I still feel so lucky. I can shred 10 laps in 3 hours door to door on a Tuesday night after my kid's gone to bed. It's incredible.

I don't understand people that teach their kids to ski at Whistler.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    I grew up in the East and have been riding the North Shore mtns for a decade now but I still feel so lucky. I can shred 10 laps in 3 hours door to door on a Tuesday night after my kid's gone to bed. It's incredible.

Sounds like I’ll be getting more familiar with the shore in 2-3 years. Only ridden Cypress when the odd cold storm blows through town.

The Whistler Kids thingy where you drop your kids Sunday morning and Creekside and ski all day is appealing when he’s older though. Both for his skills and for me to ski.

A perspective on day ticket pricing- I'm temporarily in Baltimore, MD and got invited to head up to "Ski Roundtop" today. A holiday weekend ticket is $105 CAD. For 100 skiable acres and 180m vert. That price extrapolated to WB's terrain would mean a daily ticket of $8K or so. $200 is a bargain in comparison!

Mostly in jest...but still worth noting that the floor at the low end of the market has come up quite a bit, as snowmaking, lift ops, insurance etc. aren't cheap for anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    What does a parent do while their kids are in lessons? They ski. Teach your kids someplace you want to spend a lot of time skiing. Granted Whistler is expensive, but it becomes more doable with an Epic pass. Many parents would rather pay a little extra so their own ski day is more enjoyable.

That said, I taught my kids at the closer mountain in Seattle, though I picked the base area that had the most interesting terrain for me.

High winds. Couple of groomers just to test out the Sony 24-240. Lens struggled with fast moving objects coming straight at you in snow; often fore and back-focusing,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09757.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	265405

Name:	DSC09787.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	265406

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    What does a parent do while their kids are in lessons? They ski. Teach your kids someplace you want to spend a lot of time skiing. Granted Whistler is expensive, but it becomes more doable with an Epic pass. Many parents would rather pay a little extra so their own ski day is more enjoyable.

That said, I taught my kids at the closer mountain in Seattle, though I picked the base area that had the most interesting terrain for me.
    Yeah I get dropping your kids off while you go shred. I was more thinking of people that teach their kids themselves, which is what I'd like to do. Why you would do that at whis is beyond me

Yea my dad dragged my sister all the way down from the roundhouse her first time ever on skis, then learned not to do that with me haha.

Snow in Brandywine sledding was really good and light this afternoon, despite rain at the bottom, don't think alpine opened on w/b, could be good tomorrow

Lots of wind effect. Some decent turns to be had as well. Glacier and 7th both opened yesterday very late i hear. Like around 2. Backcountry was pretty mangled. Anywhere that the wind could get at was shit. Disease looked horrendous, the east facing stuff down to Circle lake looked nice. Husume was decent and Corona looked nice.

I had two nice laps early on the peak, awesome snow, but definitely some thinner wind scoured places to bounce between...Flute low shoulder skied really great, north chute looked terrible, so pretty variable even within close areas

Following. Will be there next week. Hope the snow spicket get turned back on...

If anyone wants to help 3 experienced back-country skiers navigate around, shoot me a message. We have a guide hired for at least 1 day. Last time up there I hit Flute stuff with my wife. Cham chutes / Decker etc solo with a guide. Fingers crossed for more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by huckmadtrix View Post
    Following. Will be there next week. Hope the snow spicket get turned back on...

If anyone wants to help 3 experienced back-country skiers navigate around, shoot me a message. We have a guide hired for at least 1 day. Last time up there I hit Flute stuff with my wife. Cham chutes / Decker etc solo with a guide. Fingers crossed for more of the same.
    long range looks not promising, do a dance and make some sacrifices

Filed report in MIN...condtions passable

conditions were nice, but creekside got reamed on late upload, mid mountain was pretty hammered by the time we got to red...did get one great peak/westbowl/p2c before coming to work though

One of the best days out i've had in recent memory yesterday. Day off work, no lines, legs felt good. Finished with a boney basin to mexican pussy, for a bit of gnar in the sunset. Went back up this morning, was very warm traversing to stairmaster on east facing stuff before the clouds came in. Be interested to see if anyone has any beta from the evening session.

Whistler must be empty considering all my Instagram feeds suggest everyone is Japowing!

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Whistler must be empty considering all my Instagram feeds suggest everyone is Japowing!
    Nobody here. Zombie apocalypse

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-01-26-13h47m58s352.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	366.2 KB 
ID:	266592
    finally getting thru footage from Wednesday.

^ that looks fun. Would love to see said footage. How do you like your Weston? I'm thinking of getting a new split and they've popped up on my radar. Currently thinking of splurging on an amplid millisurf

Loving the weston. got the split and solid backwoods. Was a little worried cos i bought them sight unseen, just based on reviews. I gotta say I rode the split inbounds on a pow day, and completely forgot i was on my split. It really holds an edge, even coming down the last pitch from spankys road to crystal chair, through the bumps and jerry's, just full euro carves.
    You're welcome to fondle them when you're up here.
    I spoke to a guy who was on the millisurf and mentioned that there was lots of upkeep involved. Light, rode good, but wouldn't necessarily buy another one. I dont know if that was because he was on karakoram, but he seemed wasn't saying best board ever.
    footage is a little shake. just got a ghetto 4 gopro. doesn't like the bumps much

Great footage man, well done, enjoyed that. Not too familiar with Weston boards but looks like a nice lineup.