Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I hadn't used it in the past. Ill keep it in the list.
    I use weather network, snow-forecast, windy & spot. If im doing some actual diggin its windy/spot. others for a quick fix when i dont have time.
    The weather network app with the radar can be really helpful for those times when you aren't sure if the storm is gonna push south or not.

Yep Vans high tops up the ascent trail. i have been meaning to get hiking shoes but i hate hiking so i havent.
    Man, I'd hate hiking if I did it in Vans too! Props to you, my delicate feet couldn't do that kinda vert in those shoes.

Don't forget Wayne...he may be overly optimistic at times but certainly has a pulse on Whistler weather. Cool guy too, tolerated me chatting him up for an entire gondola ride during my season there.

On the plus side, im pulling my bike outta storage tomorrow. So it's either gonna nuke shortly or ill be having fun biking.
    I'm just getting back on after 5 weeks nursing a broken hand, missed all that primo fall weather riding!!

2 weeks of cold sunshine
    No storms, no spits
    Good for snowmaking in spots
    Late opening 2019
    It happens; it's natural because it's nature

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/...ler?from7day=1

Quote Originally Posted by KevLar View Post
    Late opening 2019
    Highly doubt it. They'll blow enough snow to open a couple WRODs.

Quote Originally Posted by KevLar View Post
    2 weeks of cold sunshine
    No storms, no spits
    Good for snowmaking in spots
    Late opening 2019
    It happens; it's natural because it's nature

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/...ler?from7day=1
    I actually heard rumours of an early opening... Wednesday.

I actually heard rumours of an early opening... Wednesday.
    Opening on what?

This also doesn't inspire confidence

https://weather.gc.ca/data/saisons/i...@lg@sd_000.png
    https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/
    https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...ctions/814day/

At the moment ocean conditions and weather patterns have been eerily similar to 2014/2015; if we don't see a pattern shift into the 2nd week of Dec the holidays are gonna be looking pretty dire. But banking on good conditions in BC for the end of Nov is a coin toss. Usually gets good in Dec, so I'm hoping that will be the case.

But Oct and Nov and seen dramatic shifts between too dry or too warm... with little end in site. A bit of snow this weekend, but on a 12cm alpine base I don't see what they can open?

Snow making = WROD. I've heard they have had runs in from top of Blackcomb gondola to bottom of Jersey for a while now, all the north facing stuff. The next week looks great for snow making. They really don't need much to open...

Im just passing on things ive heard which could all be bullshit. Im glad I got my bike back out thats for sure...

Wind has really scoured the area around the rendezvous and the beating sun and warm temps haven't helped. Snowmaking has definitely done all they can up to this point but it will not be the finest opening in history to be sure. Forecast is for negative double digits throughout next week so there will be a lot more snow made but that's not really why we're here, is it?

Let's see what today's storm ends up dropping overnight but the WROD will basically be unavoidable. It'll be nice to do some turns regardless.

Has WB ever missed American Thanksgiving opening? What happened in 2004, that was before my time. Obviously they will get it this year with wrod action.

yeah 2004 was pretty shit, I don't think we had any notable snow until after Christmas that year, and I think that was the one time I've gone with a edge card or whatever the equivalent was back then and did not regret it.

2004/5 was epic shit ... Nov was light, 2.5 ft (about the same as last Nov 2018) and it hardly snowed at all until April (which was a record month). What a waste. But last year Dec hit big; 13ft and busted a Dec record that stood for a quarter century.

The Novs of 2016 & 2017 were pretty big starts so people with short memories will whine. Whis has pretty big variability because of Pacific Ocean effect. Leading up to 2010 Olys some wondered if Whis would get enough snow; holy fuck Nov 2009 got over 18 feet ... about HALF of it's annual average.

I just hope the north pacific gets itself sorted, it's a sloppy mess of systems running very abnormally, watching the models on Windy anyway...

Wtf? No 2019/2020 thread? Are we waiting to see if we have a ski season first?

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I just hope the north pacific gets itself sorted, it's a sloppy mess of systems running very abnormally, watching the models on Windy anyway...
    Early days indeed. No biggie about a bad November, but I’m with you that the outlook isn’t great. Hopefully it turns around, looking to get in a few days around Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Wtf? No 2019/2020 thread? Are we waiting to see if we have a ski season first?
    I feel like the yearly thread usually starts with the first big snowfall or someone eager enough to get out. Pretty much neither of those have happened yet...

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    I feel like the yearly thread usually starts with the first big snowfall or someone eager enough to get out. Pretty much neither of those have happened yet...
    yup, and we don't want to jinx this season anymore than already jinxed!

It's going to start dumping on December 14th because that's the first day I don't get free skiing with my Edge card...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It's going to start dumping on December 14th because that's the first day I don't get free skiing with my Edge card...
    Yup.

Thinking of hitting up Whistler after the 14th of December. Rumor has it no one will be up there, and that's when the snow will start falling. Will wait to pull the trigger though.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

December 14 th 2006

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Winter stoke -> biking stoke -> Christmas -> interior

Some cheap laughs on the Facebook Whistler group with people getting riled up at that Revelstoke post... I’ve been telling people for years to go to Revy and they won’t listen!

Heh, what was the post?

And please don't tell them to come here busy enough already for the infrastructure.

Just a Revelstoke website laughing at how little snow we have...
    People getting upset about dumb stuff etc.

7th heaven cam is just tragic.

I think pretty much everywhere has more snow than whistler right now.

It was even snowing in Richmond this morning!