Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    a ton of great terrain. nothing super close. a seasons pass for touring access is a great deal when it's on sale as an alternative to local mountains/whistler. If you can drive up, then don't bother

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    So I asked this a years ago – before it got built, but now that we’ve had a few years with the Squamish Gondola, what’s been the experience with it as access to ski touring? Worth the price of admission? I see a very few trip reports, but they are all pretty good – and no meadow skipping, all serious looking skiing.

Generally good? Generally good, but too technical of the average weekend warrior? Great when it’s good, but otherwise, not so much? What I see suggests it great, but I see very little of it, so suspect conditions might be spotty (or I’m breaking the first rule of fight club…)

Cheers
    Only been up a couple times a few seasons ago, great terrain with not bad access but you need cold storms for decent skiing with the elevation and proximity to the ocean. There's serious terrain/glacier but also relatively mellow rolling stuff and trees. Fun for something different and very close to the city but not something I would count on for regular rotation. Better than Cypress area for sure and not much farther drive.

Wayne Flann posted a size 3 NA in Boomer from last night, haven't seen that before, reminds me of that big one in Robertsons a few years ago I think it was a wet slide as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Wayne Flann posted a size 3 NA in Boomer from last night, haven't seen that before, reminds me of that big one in Robertsons a few years ago I think it was a wet slide as well.
    Scary one. North facing, natural, overnight. I know we had a prertty good freeze monday night into tuesday so surprised to see that go so big so quickly after...

Whistler conditions 18-19

Maybe someone can save me a call to guest services since I can’t figure this out from the website:

Is foot/sightseeing traffic allowed up Creekside/Red? I’m pretty sure I saw it last summer while biking. Gonna be up late June with the family and figure my kid might get a kick out of riding the chairlift... and bonus of me getting in a TOTW to Creekside lap of course.

Thanks

If it's open. I imagine so. You can take peak chair on feet, so I don't imagine they'd have any issue with red chair...

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Maybe someone can save me a call to guest services since I can’t figure this out from the website:

Is foot/sightseeing traffic allowed up Creekside/Red? I’m pretty sure I saw it last summer while biking. Gonna be up late June with the family and figure my kid might get a kick out of riding the chairlift... and bonus of me getting in a TOTW to Creekside lap of course.

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure they aren't opening red again this year....It was only open last year because Blackcomb gondy wasn't. Kind of a shame though, was super convenient to not have to go down to Garbo or take village gondy to get to Roundhouse

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I'm pretty sure they aren't opening red again this year....It was only open last year because Blackcomb gondy wasn't. Kind of a shame though, was super convenient to not have to go down to Garbo or take village gondy to get to Roundhouse
    Ahh good to know. Strange because they went through whatever effort was required to load bike carriers onto Red. I thought I had read some rumours about more bike trails up that way... part of encouraging more bike/foot traffic to Creekside, and no point in sending foot traffic up if Red isn’t running.

Agree it was sweet last summer, used Red a few times in the bike park and was great for TOTW access.

Will give them a call to confirm in a couple weeks.

Can anyone tell me where the best place is to put a kayak in on Green Lake? I was looking at the map and seems like Green Lake Park off Lakeshore Drive would be a good spot, but it also seems very small. Is there any parking there?

There is a public access and parking off of Lake Shore Dr. Google maps looks like a house, but its actually a Whistler Municipality Utility building. There is 10+ parking spots there and access tot he water.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 10.53.50 AM.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	284856

Great, thanks!

Mrs t.odd and I usually launch the canoe just to the right of the Emerald Park label at the boat launch

Is that a path leading there from where the road curves? Can you drive down or do you haul your canoe from the road?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Is that a path leading there from where the road curves? Can you drive down or do you haul your canoe from the road?
    yeah you can drive down, depending on how busy it is, full blown boat trailer launch

Must be bored in the summer thinking about Whistler and starting to look at the logistics of a shift there - any one have any suggestions for the best source for finding longer term/non-vacation rentals (Pique/bulletin board)?

I'm aware of the usual's that might be the answer, but we've all lived somewhere where there was a local source that was better than the normal online offerings.

Also, while I'm bored, flipping through Ullr, saw a gap I've never notice before, leading down from Secret Area to the top of feather trees between two PCs. Is that an error on the app, or is that open (don't worry, I'm not going to poach your line, it just looks too wild to be open made me curious.

Housing is borderline impossible for winters atm. You would need to get a year long lease to get anything remotely affordable and if you're not here now the chances of finding one for the winter are slim. If you have money to burn there a quite a lot of property management companies that do 6 month leases for the winter. Without knowing anything about you, the easiest way to make Whistler happen is either to come in with a stack cash to burn, or get a job with a company that can provide housing for you. This is the easiest way, but you will likely be sharing a room, possibly with people who don't even care about the skiing, just here to party kind of crowd. And you will be basically locked to that employer until you can find your own accom.

Not sure what ullr is, but there is a line that goes between cougar chutes and the couloir, but much closer to cougar chutes. Its short, generally very shallow due to taking the brunt of the sun and storm winds, but can sneak you into feather trees without having to do the traverse from quasar side (also rocky and shallow and melts out early spring). its really nothing to get even slightly excited about, probably skis much worse than cougar chutes if that is even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post

Not sure what ullr is, but there is a line that goes between cougar chutes and the couloir, but much closer to cougar chutes. Its short, generally very shallow due to taking the brunt of the sun and storm winds, but can sneak you into feather trees without having to do the traverse from quasar side (also rocky and shallow and melts out early spring). its really nothing to get even slightly excited about, probably skis much worse than cougar chutes if that is even possible.
    Ullr Maps, solid app for those (unlike most who frequent this thread) who don't know the hills as well
    https://www.ullrmaps.com/

Best mapping I've seen of any in-bounds resort in NA for sure.

Hey, remote workers based in Whistler - any advice on the best/most reliable internet providers? Do you lose service much to wind/storms (before someone jumps down my throat about how big a city whistler is, I lived in W Van for years and lost internet all the time, and Whistler is at least as remote). Any issues that you wish you'd though of before you moved/started working there? I'm on citrix and having very very reliable internet and phone will be important in making this work for me.

Kindest

Knowsam. I've had good fortune with Telus based out of Alpine.

Nice to have access to shared office space for calls, more formal space for meetings etc. I go to the city for that.

Be nice to the courier who drops off time sensitive stuff for you. That goes without saying.

Will think of more

We use Shaw here at work. Its pretty damn good. can't remember an outage. Cheaper than telus for our 1GB service though i dunno how that relates to home. Also on shaw at home and can honestly not remember having any internet outages at all home too.

Telus Pure Fibre would be the most reliable home connection but doesn’t look like it’s in Whistler yet. $105 for 300/300mbit low latency connection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7thHeavenBlackcombMountainCam_2019-09-17_11-13am.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	393.3 KB 
ID:	294324

Stoked to see it. Definitely a change to fall in the city as well... cool and rainy.

Any changes to ops at WB this season? Haven’t seen any news releases or anything. No new big capital investments things year obviously.

First snow...time for the 19-20 thread?

Lee can you confirm that conditions were double overhead blower this morning off Peak? How many first timers tib fibs did patrol have to slog off the mountain after this first snow?

Metal Dome is good to go for Saturday baby.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    First snow...time for the 19-20 thread?

Lee can you confirm that conditions were double overhead blower this morning off Peak? How many first timers tib fibs did patrol have to slog off the mountain after this first snow?
    I'm sure Matt Gunn has a big Meetup going to Metal Dome and all the usual tib-fib pow gongshow is going hard at it getting first tracks to the Medical Centre