Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwithcharlie View Post
    Hit up the Handlebar at the base of Blackcomb for craft beers and cheap eats. Or go get ripped off for 10$ beers in the vill... http://handlebar.beer/
    U can also mingle with the pros and wannabe pros at Handlebar. Maybe get your chest signed by one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Seems that way. Grumpy too. Some dude yelled at me for side stepping up spankies, instead of boot packing. Highlight of my day for sure.
    Was it Powder11? Did he have his twins with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Was it Powder11? Did he have his twins with him?
    No. He would’ve just punched me. ;-)

Handlebar for sure. You must have Black Crows or maybe 4FRNT skis leaning against the patio to be accepted in. If you can score a pair of KYE Shapes you will be Uber cool.

Joking, but I do ski 4FRNTs and love Handlebar. Patio should be nice in the sun.

lol- Kyeshapes...don't like the name...but, i'd still consider buying a pair. Can't argue with Matty and Kye's on snow skills!!

Something that annoys me about Handlebar is they're cash only--at least last I checked. I'm an American. I don't like to carry around your crazy plastic currency.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Something that annoys me about Handlebar is they're cash only--at least last I checked. I'm an American. I don't like to carry around your crazy plastic currency.
    to be fair, they do have the only free ATM in town, as they like to say!

Seriously I'll definitely try to get to Handlebar. Usually I'm in Whistler with my wife, who's a non beer drinker, so not much point going there. This time I'm with a friend who should enjoy a fine craft-brewed beverage or two.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Seriously I'll definitely try to get to Handlebar. Usually I'm in Whistler with my wife, who's a non beer drinker, so not much point going there. This time I'm with a friend who should enjoy a fine craft-brewed beverage or two.
    they have some good ciders on tap usually, fwiw...I unfortunately have to avoid beers majority of the time these days due to gluten sensitivities, <sad t.odd>

Any professionals on here living in Whistler? How’s the experience been – is it living the dream or being a bit out of place, racking up billables (and still some long hours) while people around you have a very different life? Can’t tell if it’s an improvement to have easier access or hurts more to be so close and not able to take part every day. And you lose the amenities that being a profession in a major city gets you.

Excepting this winter I have spent the last 6 winters in Whistler while working full time. Computer programmer, could somewhat set own hours depending on projects. Didn’t get in more than 40 days a year and a lot of those were mornings only. However if I had been back in Calgary probably would have been less than 20 days, although probably same amount of skiing since they would have been full days. Watching the snow pound down, or waking up to 60cm over night and not being able to go out because I had to be at my desk was rather distressing. However you just have to remind yourself that when you can get out on those days it is worth it. Luckily I am now mostly retired, and will be back in Whistler next winter, so no more having to stay in when I want to be out.

I work in env. consulting, we've got it pretty good in the winter as it's generally slower, so a couple/few hours in the morning when it's snowing is pretty normal before heading in to the office. Definitely not a typical workplace, and I'm pretty much ruined for ever having (being able to tolerate) any type of normal office job.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Any professionals on here living in Whistler? How’s the experience been – is it living the dream or being a bit out of place, racking up billables (and still some long hours) while people around you have a very different life? Can’t tell if it’s an improvement to have easier access or hurts more to be so close and not able to take part every day. And you lose the amenities that being a profession in a major city gets you.
    I don't miss anything about the major cities, except one thing: a few cities have convenient high-quality pickup soccer opportunities with zero commitment. I miss that.

It's not really "living the dream" if you're working, but if you like skiing, then easy access to skiing is WAY better than faraway access, duh. If you live in Whistler, you are definitely "out of place" unless you are a gaper tourist or a wasted clubbing Aussie---so it's GOOD to be "out of place" as a real skier. Use Whistler for sliding on snow---screw all the rest of the scene.

However, if you only get short breaks for skiing (like lunch breaks, or a quick morning mission, or whatever), then Whistler is NOT ideal, because you need to invest too much time to get up high to the good terrain---the terrain at the parking lot ain't good. Squaw has kickass KT-22 right at the parking lot for quick missions. A-Basin has decent Pallavicini terrain right at the parking lot. Etc.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Squaw has kickass KT-22 right at the parking lot for quick missions. A-Basin has decent Pallavicini terrain right at the parking lot. Etc.

Squaw would be good if you lived in Olympic Valley. Abay you have to drive, then try to find a parking place, plus the cell service sucks.

Aspen’s got a gondola downtown, good cellular all over the hill and an airport right outside of town.

Re quick access. That was the main reason I didn’t get out as much, I could have headed out for an hour or so a lot of mornings, but with delayed alpine openings, and the time to get up and then off the hill I would have ended up doing one run from Red back down to Creekside. On a powder day that still was worth it though. Spent this last winter in Kimberley, walk out the door, click on the skis, slide to the lift, 30 second lift line and skiing in 5 minutes. Ride right back to my door. But a way completely different ski experience. Course you can also buy a condo on the hill for about what a couple years mortgage payments would be on a place in Whistler.

Eldereldo/t.odd/vitamln, thanks for the replies.

Maybe too soft a question for a stoke forum, but did you find you were able to be part of the community or was it isolating? I’m envisioning being one of a very small number of remote workers (none of whom know each other) in a community consisting of rich weekenders and locals who give up most things to ski/bike and just can’t relate socially to someone with pressing (and demanding) work commitments. Is the better bet to set up (also remotely) in Vancouver and just rent a hotel for 10 weekends a year, with additional day trips when the snow warrants it?

Maybe I’m just stereotyping too much or….

I haven't had trouble being a part of the community as I've been super involved with WORCA (mtb club) since 2005...it's definitely a what you make of it situation. You could just as easily feel isolated in a busy place. Personally there's nothing like being 5 minutes from the office and 5 from the ski lift, and can ski out to my house, or ride single track within a couple hundred metres of my place...sure, it's not all sunshine and lollipops all the time, but you learn how to navitgate the challenging aspects, and figure out the quiet places, and yes, they still exist! ha

Whistler has a population of 12,000 permeant residents and around 2500 seasonal residents. Has the capacity for 30,000 overnight visitors. There are lawyers, hotel managers, government workers, chefs, architects, custom home builders, real estate agents, web developers, IT mangers, who all live and work in town. Their jobs are their first priorities, but also have the benefit of living in a resort town to be able to get out and recreate when the time allows.
    The whole town is not run by, and infested by drunk Australians lifties living from pay cheque to paycheque. Yes they exist, but our social paths path and circle of friends do not cross very often.
    The Town generate 1.44 BILLION in consumer spending annually. There are plenty of professions who manage many of the sectors that are responsible for generating this revenue.
    You will find your people, you will fit in, you will be able to respond to your pressing work issues, and your circle of friends will understand as they have the same commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Excepting this winter I have spent the last 6 winters in Whistler while working full time. Computer programmer, could somewhat set own hours depending on projects. Didn’t get in more than 40 days a year and a lot of those were mornings only. However if I had been back in Calgary probably would have been less than 20 days, although probably same amount of skiing since they would have been full days. Watching the snow pound down, or waking up to 60cm over night and not being able to go out because I had to be at my desk was rather distressing. However you just have to remind yourself that when you can get out on those days it is worth it. Luckily I am now mostly retired, and will be back in Whistler next winter, so no more having to stay in when I want to be out.
    Interesting. I'm honestly surprised that you didn't get more than 40 days in living in Whistler - do you have a high work load and need to work on weekends? I definitely see what you are saying about the time commitment to get to the alpine there; it's not good for a quick run at lunch. In any case, enjoy retirement.

What Dee Hubs and T.odd said. I've been 4-5 days a week.in Whistler for 15 years skiing days and working evenings. There's a community of long termers. I'm sure this is true of most touristic towns

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    What Dee Hubs and T.odd said. I've been 4-5 days a week.in Whistler for 15 years skiing days and working evenings. There's a community of long termers. I'm sure this is true of most touristic towns
    Nobody believes that you work Lee! To much pow and to many trips to say otherwise!!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Nobody believes that you work Lee! To much pow and to many trips to say otherwise!!
    Flexibility has huge benefits

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Flexibility has huge benefits
    that and triple overhead billing

I've known a few software dev/IT infrastructure type folks over the years who work remotely from Whistler. Most were independent contractors who could generally set their own hours outside of meetings/calls with clients or they worked for bay area tech companies with flexible arrangements. They would ski most mornings, especially when the snow was good, and then work afternoon/evening. In the summer there is so much daylight they seemed to be able to mountain bike pretty much every day. They all seemed to have lots of friends from various walks of life in town and were very happy with life and motivated about work as a result. I compare that to friends that work remotely from home in Vancouver/Calgary and the same life satisfaction is not there, but that's really down to the individual.

If you have the chance to make it happen in Whistler, 100% do it! Vancouver is probably the same cost of living, and unless you really need big city stuff, why wouldn't you live 5 minutes from world class skiing/biking vs. 90-120min drive with traffic risk? Just drive down to Van once a month to get your big city fix, makes more sense to me anyway.

Also it looks like snow this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Interesting. I'm honestly surprised that you didn't get more than 40 days in living in Whistler - do you have a high work load and need to work on weekends? I definitely see what you are saying about the time commitment to get to the alpine there; it's not good for a quick run at lunch. In any case, enjoy retirement.
    Most days I had to be at my desk for support, weekends I was usually sledding or BC ( I didn’t count that in days).