Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Skiing in Blackcomb today was very nice , sapphire and diamond running sweet , with well more than the reported 3cm , some deeper pow to be found in spots Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1988.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	274188

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Acceptable Nfacing pow

Went for a walk around blackcomb. S faces getting spicy in the heat. Nfaces still good

^^^ nice shots Lee. And Backcountry Widowmaker is my favourite IPA these days.

More N facing pow and some S facing running to road

Looking more and more like Horstman T-bar won't open at all this year. Has that ever happened before? Anyone know if some sort of replacement alternate lift to the top of 7th is in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Looking more and more like Horstman T-bar won't open at all this year. Has that ever happened before? Anyone know if some sort of replacement alternate lift to the top of 7th is in the works?
    What exactly is the issue? I know the root cause is melting of the glacier, but what prevented it from opening this season? Pretty sad if it can't even be opened in an average snow year (that was well above average in Feb.).

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    What exactly is the issue? I know the root cause is melting of the glacier, but what prevented it from opening this season? Pretty sad if it can't even be opened in an average snow year (that was well above average in Feb.).
    The glacier melt has been enough that the top portion of the track is too steep - I *think* the t-bar cables won't reach the surface, it's too far of a gap between the haul rope and the snow. They've been making snow for the past few years and eventually they have enough to push it around and open the t-bar. But this year despite it being cold as fuck all season and basically 100% snowmaking weather, they couldn't pull it off.

It's clearly a problem and there needs to be another way to get skiers up to the top of 7th to alleviate the congestion on that lift. I'm sure they have a plan for a new lift of some sort, just wondering what that might be.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    The glacier melt has been enough that the top portion of the track is too steep
    OK, glad it's not just my imagination that it's been getting steeper over the years.

Wayne's got a shot of it on the avy blog today, actually...
    Name:  DSC04896.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  91.0 KB

OK, glad it's not just my imagination that that's been getting steeper over the years.
    World's best internet blogger Wayne Flann has been keeping a close eye on it all season for us. From yesterday:

Name:  DSC04896.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  91.0 KB

Those rocks at the top weren't showing on Friday the 15th.

^^ aaaahaha, snaked ya by a minute!

If the issue is the steep section at the top it seems like they could just add an additional tower in that area?

I found this from 2015. Pretty interesting, actually:

https://liftblog.com/2015/11/15/whis...next-20-years/

Attachment 275141

Perhaps most interesting at Blackcomb is a new aerial tramway from the Rendezvous Lodge over Couloir Extreme to Horstman Hut with no intermediate towers. This would eliminate the school bus ride to 7th Heaven Express to access Blackcomb Glacier in the summer while providing another signature scenic lift. If the glacier still exists when all of this happens, Blackcomb’s two T-Bars will be replaced with a single gondola and tunnel to the backside. The plan notes, “the melting of the Horstman Glacier has created increasing technical problems and expense for maintaining the Horstman and Showcase T-bar glacier lifts. Ecosign and Whistler Blackcomb management have worked with Doppelmayr to find a long-term technical solution and we have recommended the removal of both the T-bars.” The replacement gondola would have just three towers located on rock to avoid the melting glacier while still serving what’s left of it.

A gondola to more or less replace the Showcase t-bar would seem to be overkill...

A gondola to more or less replace the Showcase t-bar would seem to be overkill...
    Agreed. Plus without that annoying 4 minute hike imagine the throngs of people back there. A funicular would seem more apropos given WB's love of "NORTH AMERICAS ONLY _______."

I'll be driving up on Sunday 3/31. Can anyone tell me how crowded the Creekside garage gets? Is it likely there will still be spots available if I get there around 10 am?

Seems like a lot of people have given up on skiing. Its after spring break and no snow in forecast, so i would guess you can weasel a spot
    Tbar is an interesting one. Not having it really changes blackcomb. Spankys gets tracked twice as fast, especially the more simple lines. Lots of people who would normally take the tbar and do pakalolo etc are now jabbing around under cliffs and run outs in spankys. I've nearly smoked a bunch of people this year. And with out the tbar theres no real reason to hit Mel Gibson every lap which is always fun. A little fixed grip double/or pizza box would be great but unlikely to happen.

first time down ladies first

went seeking some cold snow last Sunday and found some on my first ski down " ladies first "
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zE4VSwtHScayjXkSN8R0fw.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	275325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QdEQAliTRnOWSi365fkp4w.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	275326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fTx+YwnuRpmIuEp8WmUoSg.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	275327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBxoYhgrQ%ikT4G6AcY%JQ.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	275329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4yHBXzsSu6ZOAa2Xc38Ag.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	275330

what to do when Blackcomb gondola breaks again

a planned early start was thrown in to confusion last week after 30 cm fresh snow fell and the lift failed , so the planned tour was kiboshed , so plan b , jumped in car and headed out to gin peak for some very sweet turns

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_165e.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	744.1 KB 
ID:	275332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1666.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	479.0 KB 
ID:	275333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1663.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	466.8 KB 
ID:	275334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7edeacfa-2e04-4294-b45b-041c3f19e480.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	275335

^^^ Nice pics scblurlt, wonder if winter is done, Wayne saying could be a pattern change and some snow next week?

Also seeing news of a fatality on Decker yesterday? Anyone know what happened? RIP to the individual.
    https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/252...in-backcountry

This just popped up on SCT Gramboh
    https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/re...P72UZTuhZU1Ob8
    very sad. seemed like a well liked dude with a great attitude.

sorry to interrupt the great stoke from the photos above and my condolences to the deceased, what would you advise 3 old dudes to do for transport from YVR at 930 PM this Thursday to whistler? looking for path of least resistance i.e. best case scenario straight shot pick up and delivery. TKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Crippity View Post
    sorry to interrupt the great stoke from the photos above and my condolences to the deceased, what would you advise 3 old dudes to do for transport from YVR at 930 PM this Thursday to whistler? looking for path of least resistance i.e. best case scenario straight shot pick up and delivery. TKS.
    Simplest will be splitting a cab ride, which is somewhere around $350 CAD. At that hour, your more cost-effective transportation options will be limited.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    This just popped up on SCT Gramboh
    https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/re...P72UZTuhZU1Ob8
    very sad. seemed like a well liked dude with a great attitude.
    Damn, sounds like a really solid dude who did a lot for his community. Thoughts to his family and friends. Someone on the SCT thread mentioned he fell on Decker main.

Cripplty - the Skylynx bus doesn’t run that late right now so you might have to taxi or book a shuttle with whistlervan.com as an example. Probably still cheaper than renting a car with the 30+ a night to park at most hotels.