Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Decent refresh yesterday so far reaches are unlikely to be tracked. Should be some decent skiing along the way. I would look at lower angle stuff rather than big and steep due to dust on crust.
    Sounds good. Not trying for any ski heroics, just nice views, shortbread biscuits and shivering in a tent.

Actually a great weekend for it. Share some pics when you get back.

Pretty meh skiing out there. Did a lap of disease yesterday and a stairmaster today. Both were ok, though heavy crust contact was the common theme. Fingers crossed for some kind of snow. Might have to get the bike out if this keeps up.

finally snowing! hopefully get a few more pow days before spring

Actually a great weekend for it. Share some pics when you get back.
    Conditions on the Spearhead this weekend: sunny and cold and beautiful. Firm base with 0-30cm of very light snow on top, depending on wind scour/deposit, with crust on solar slopes on Sunday. Skiing ranged from incredible (Ripsaw) to heinous (upper Diavolo).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07711.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	999.4 KB 
ID:	273537

Name:	DSC07714.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	273538

Name:	DSC07773.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	795.0 KB 
ID:	273539

Name:	DSC07803.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	273540

Name:	DSC07952.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	842.4 KB 
ID:	273546

Name:	DSC08058.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	655.1 KB 
ID:	273549

Name:	DSC08065.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	996.7 KB 
ID:	273551

beauty shots!

What you guys ski on the Ripsaw? West face?

What you guys ski on the Ripsaw? West face?
    Just the upper part of the Ripsaw glacier, down from the Quiver-Ripsaw col. Probably a 200m run at best, although you could make it maybe 400m before crevasses became a serious problem. I think the low angle really helped here; steeper faces had great snow too but you punched right through to whatever firm stuff lay beneath.

Looks like there would have been great skiing from high on the SE ridge of Macbeth down to either the NE (Naden glacier) or SW (Macbeth glacier, pictured)

Name:	DSC07865.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	962.9 KB 
ID:	273559

Name:	DSC07893.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	880.3 KB 
ID:	273556

And, someone made some nice turns on the north face of Macbeth/Curtain glacier

Name:	DSC07782.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	855.5 KB 
ID:	273560

Curtain is a classic line and relatively low angle. Having said that the classic Spearhead that you did is pure skitouring eye-candy. Nicely documented

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Just the upper part of the Ripsaw glacier, down from the Quiver-Ripsaw col. Probably a 200m run at best, although you could make it maybe 400m before crevasses became a serious problem. I think the low angle really helped here; steeper faces had great snow too but you punched right through to whatever firm stuff lay beneath.

Looks like there would have been great skiing from high on the SE ridge of Macbeth down to either the NE (Naden glacier) or SW (Macbeth glacier, pictured)

Name:	DSC07865.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	962.9 KB 
ID:	273559

Thanks for the pics.
    Looks like Fissile like a Missile is definitely not in this year!

Lee have you climbed up from Fitz glacier to Overlord Glacier up the face shown in this pic?

Lee have you climbed up from Fitz glacier to Overlord Glacier up the face shown in this pic?
    Have done so 3x. Once as exit to Fitz NW in a day. Once as N face of Cheakamus in a day (failure). Once as 2 day Spearhead. Bring ski crampons - it cuts out a lot of time

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Have done so 3x. Once as exit to Fitz NW in a day. Once as N face of Cheakamus in a day (failure). Once as 2 day Spearhead. Bring ski crampons - it cuts out a lot of time
    Generally skinnable or boot pack? Topo makes it look pretty damn steep. Really looks like a good way to chain fitz nth and something else...

See y’all out there tomorrow. Aiming for first bucket @ Creekside. Gongs will be rung.

Name:	57403985154__5974C4ED-DA91-42EF-9B01-9503E7F6A69B.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	273581

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Generally skinnable or boot pack? Topo makes it look pretty damn steep. Really looks like a good way to chain fitz nth and something else...
    Skinnable with ski or split crampons. There are benches but I would never do it with anything but low hazard. It gets afternoon sun so it also cooks you

What the fuc$ was today???? Mar 11 or Dec 11?!? What a classic sleeper pow day. Rolled up at 10 am proceeded to smash deeper and deeper blower laps with zero crowds. It was a legit boot deep in Spankies all afternoon. Anyone else get sum of this???

Thank God. Keep it comin'!

This is happening because I left my pow skis in storage.

I'll be up there tomorrow ifn anyone wants to do a run
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Just a few folks lined up for Fresh Tracks this morning

looks like the village was mega shit show this morning! good to get a few faceshots again, definitely firm under there though, had to keep it reigned in in the trees

Blackcomb Gondola down again this morning? Saw pics of people boot packing up to Base II as Magic wasn’t spinning? Dunno why you wouldn’t walk to village. Man those folks must have been pissed, first big pow day in a while.

Great day on whis today. Minimal line on peak when it cracked then ppl were weirdly avoiding shale slope I think due to vis? We did 4 laps of it with 30 sec lift lines before it finally got too tracked for our liking. Never done more than 1 shale slope lap before it's been moguled. Popped over to Blackcomb for a subpar spankys lap before returning to peak chair. All the usual runs down to red stayed fluffy till close

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    definitely firm under there though, had to keep it reigned in in the trees
    No doubt. Tree shots looked good but definitely had to check yoself before I wrecked myslef.

Good day out there. Slack country is just begging for it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Will be skiing next week TUE-FRI (12th-15th) - already have a local crew with some hard chargers I think but if anyone wants to hook up for a few laps lemme know. Always appreciate new perspectives out off of Spanky's. Apres beer payment(s) always on the menu.
    Will be skiing resort starting tomorrow. Got recs? Will be Merlin’s on Friday apres and can thank you over a brew.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Blackcomb Gondola down again this morning? Saw pics of people boot packing up to Base II as Magic wasn’t spinning? Dunno why you wouldn’t walk to village. Man those folks must have been pissed, first big pow day in a while.
    I guess that's what happens when you're rushed to get a complex new lift running during the ski season. Hopefully they're able to work the kinks out during the off-season. Heck, that may have been one of the reasons they decided to have Whistler open in May this season rather than Blackcomb.

So glad to see all the stoke in here, been a while! Beautiful Spearhead shots, TB

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Just a few folks lined up for Fresh Tracks this morning
    I imagine the demand was pent up. One thing I hadn't realized is the "fresh tracks" experiences at the Vail resorts here in Colorado are WAY more expensive. Over $100 US. Thankfully that's one thing they hasn't messed with (yet) - though its merits can be debated, still a cool experience once in a while.