Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Sad day, RIP and thoughts to family and patrol/SAR involved in the recovery/rescue, it sounds like they had to rescue the other member of the party via long line? From Wayne's blog today it looks like they could've come down the ridge from Ladies Only. No idea if they meant to be there or knew what they were doing. You can also see other old tracks coming down the gut of that PC which seems like a dumb place to ski for multiple reasons and of course now people see those tracks and try to get into that area. There are definitely PC signlines on top of Ladies Only and I think on Blackcomb peak as well re: Satisfaction etc. At least tracks in that area aren't quite as visible and usually put down after hours by people that know what they are doing.
    Def signs on top of ladies first, signs in the col between ladies and the peak for people hiking up from the regular bootpack (basically right where the 3 tracks start there). Thankfully no signs on the peak itself, but nobody would try and ski the real lines during the day.

Tough day for patrollers for sure and the deceased family. Hopefully the guy rescued is mentally OK as that would have been incredibly tough to deal with...

pretty good stoke from a local shredder. I had nothing to do with this, just thought i woudl share

Any word on when the high pressure will leave? Looks dry for a while.

Been monitoring the 2 week forecast. Seems to be holding steady unfortunately...

The visibility has been excellent, and the slopes deserted during the week, which has been perfect for approaching warp 9.975 on the superbros. Alpine conditions aren't half bad either. It could be a lot worse.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

took advantage of the high pressure and a break in the arctic outflow to go check the Pemberton Icecap/Caves on Friday. A buddy and I rented from Pemberton Sleds and a friend showed us around...what a great day, ended up doing about 140km over 8 hours, 10/10, would do again. full album on flickr -> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmByJ5My

ToddHellinga-0040688 by T.odd View, on Flickr

ToddHellinga-0050817 by T.odd View, on Flickr

ToddHellinga-0050867 by T.odd View, on Flickr

ToddHellinga-0061513 by T.odd View, on Flickr

ToddHellinga-0020473 by T.odd View, on Flickr

ToddHellinga-0433 by T.odd View, on Flickr

ToddHellinga-0436 by T.odd View, on Flickr

ToddHellinga-0441 by T.odd View, on Flickr

ToddHellinga-0448 by T.odd View, on Flickr

ToddHellinga-0451 by T.odd View, on Flickr

Great photos Todd.

Wow, those ice cave shots are amazing!

Found out the hard way that saphire chutes are most definitely NOT in. If anyone saw a Jerry upclimbing a cliffband, ��

I see Epic passes and Edge cards are now on sale for next season. It certainly seems like Vail does not plan to kill the Edge card.

Haha wow, just brutal... I switched from a WB unlimited pass to a 5 day Edge card this season as we had our first kid last August... early bird was $487 tax in and that included unlimited early season skiing. If I want a 5 day EPIC day pass without holiday restrictions it's $553USD = ~$750CAD at typical credit card exchange rate, so an increase of 54% and I don't get early season days. I do occasionally ski RCR resorts when visiting family in Cranbrook/Calgary so maybe there's some potential value there but that's 1-2 days a season max. I'll probably end up just getting the damn Epic pass and trying to time a Christmas trip to the inlaws in Cranbrook so I can ski Fernie a bunch.

Epic and WB unlimited pass prices up as well? Lift lines should be shorter and parking easier to find next year at least.

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/pl...on-passes.aspx

If I want a 5 day EPIC day pass without holiday restrictions it's $553USD = ~$750CAD at typical credit card exchange rate, so an increase of 54% and I don't get early season days.
    Where are you seeing that? I see $479CAD for the 5 day unrestricted and it still comes with early season:
    https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/pl...dge-cards.aspx

edit: oh, sorry, you said 5 day Epic day pass. Yeah, don't get that...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Where are you seeing that? I see $479CAD for the 5 day unrestricted and it still comes with early season:
    https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/pl...dge-cards.aspx

edit: oh, sorry, you said 5 day Epic day pass. Yeah, don't get that...
    Ooops, ignore my rant above, I thought the Pique article said they killed the Edge card and I totally blanked and missed it on the WB website. Doh. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ooops, ignore my rant above, I thought the Pique article said they killed the Edge card and I totally blanked and missed it on the WB website. Doh. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Looks like Pique screwed the pooch on that article because the Epic Card still seems to alive and well.

I find Vail's offerings to be, actually, pretty reasonable and a.... good deal???

Oh god I feel terrible just typing that. I need to go wash my hands!

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I find Vail's offerings to be, actually, pretty reasonable and a.... good deal???
    It's pretty clear that their business model is to offer decent prices on passes and absolutely rape anyone who just wants single or multi-day tickets.

less than 5 day pass is back? looks like 2 day pass is up.

It's pretty clear that their business model is to offer decent prices on passes and absolutely rape anyone who just wants single or multi-day tickets.
    But that is me (random touron). I can only get out to W/B for a week or two a season, and then Vermont or whatever for a few days as well. Annual pass at my local hill is $3something. It's all very depressing, but I take what I can get.

I bought myself a 5 day edge card so I'm good, but my wife was hesitant. Shouldn't have listened to her.... so recently I got her some tickets just regular order-in-advance and they came out to $125/day or something like that. Which, when I consider what it must take to run that gong show, and that it's really for 7 hours of fun, it's not too bad.

Of course if you know where you're going by November then it's edge cards all the way. Might just go full epic next season. Why the hell not...

I think it's $14 on-mountain soups that really greases the Vail wheels. At least I'm smart enough to pack a PB&J and eat snow for hydration.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    less than 5 day pass is back? looks like 2 day pass is up.
    3 day is still MIA though. Had a buddy call in and ask about that - they literally told him on the phone that they "got rid of the 3 day edge card to offer more flexibility to our guests."

5 days is a good deal though - you can also use up to 2 days at other hills:
    Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Park City, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe, Okemo, Mount Sunapee, Crested Butte, Stevens Pass, Wilmot, Afton Alps, or Mt. Brighton

Already used one day at Stowe myself - just ski on the lift, no guest services rigmarole necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    5 days is a good deal though - you can also use up to 2 days at other hills:
    Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Park City, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe, Okemo, Mount Sunapee, Crested Butte, Stevens Pass, Wilmot, Afton Alps, or Mt. Brighton
    Yes, it is. I used my two days this year at Vail and Breckenridge. Both those places would have been around $200US if I had to buy one-day tickets. Couple that with three free early season days and I feel like I got a pretty decent deal.

Yup. And it really makes sense. They were banking on traveling out-of-state pass-holders patronizing their lodging, food, rentals etc. This year the traffic just didn't show up, so they're de-incentivizing alternative options to push people into passes, and hopefully, into long out-of-state ski-cations.

Will be skiing next week TUE-FRI (12th-15th) - already have a local crew with some hard chargers I think but if anyone wants to hook up for a few laps lemme know. Always appreciate new perspectives out off of Spanky's. Apres beer payment(s) always on the menu.

Snuck out for a couple of laps yesterday. was decent inbounds, less steep was better for a little less crust feel. Hoping for a few decent backcountry turns today

Anyone been out in the Blackcomb BC recently? Heading up to do the Spearhead this weekend, sounds like views will be good and skiing will be...better than walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Anyone been out in the Blackcomb BC recently? Heading up to do the Spearhead this weekend, sounds like views will be good and skiing will be...better than walking.
    Decent refresh yesterday so far reaches are unlikely to be tracked. Should be some decent skiing along the way. I would look at lower angle stuff rather than big and steep due to dust on crust.