Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Whistler conditions 18-19

Augtober seems like maybe it's pushed off? Will we get some early season storms in?

Let's start off with a moment of silence for Wizard chair.

RIP Wizard.

Can we start some sort of early rumours that the new gondola on Blackcomb sucks so that it doesn't draw people over from Whistler?

Meh, it's just a feeder lift. Unless there's loading at the angle mid station.

they've totally moved fresh tracks breakfast to Blackcomb, Shirk...probably not, but they probably will consider it on overflow days, can't leave money standing around in the plaza on those busy pow mornings!

Fuck, I didn't even think of the possibility of Fresh Tracks on Bcomb with the new gondi.

Let's hope patrol says no as too high a risk of a jong getting into avy control terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Fuck, I didn't even think of the possibility of Fresh Tracks on Bcomb with the new gondi.

Let's hope patrol says no as too high a risk of a jong getting into avy control terrain.
    That was literally the first thing i thought when they annouced it. they'd really only need 4 volley patrollers at the top of the gondi to stop people traversing to make it happen. I think that would be the one thing that would be put me over the edge and make me consider bouncing...

Here's the question: what's faster? Uploading on the Whistler gondola or taking the new Blackcomb gondola to P2P? Considering normal lift line lengths I'd put my money on the Blackcomb route getting you to Roundhouse faster much of the time.

This blob weather pattern is not doing W/B any favors... it needs to leave immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan5 View Post
    This blob weather pattern is not doing W/B any favors... it needs to leave immediately
    This thread should be re-titled "Whistler Conditions 18-19 or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Blob."

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This thread should be re-titled "Whistler Conditions 18-19 or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Blob."
    I have already. it'll be winter, days will be short, there will be storms with varying freezing levels. Sometimes it'll suck, sometimes it'll be great. With a bit of luck, sometimes it'll be great when folks are convinced it sucks. in other words, the usual. I predict a 100% chance of weather.

Yesterday: https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/a...t.10.29.2018.g
    Sept 27: https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/a....9.27.2018.gif

Stable, Captain. It's holding steady sir. Storms will churn the deep to the top (fingers crossed).

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I have already. it'll be winter, days will be short, there will be storms with varying freezing levels. Sometimes it'll suck, sometimes it'll be great. With a bit of luck, sometimes it'll be great when folks are convinced it sucks. in other words, the usual. I predict a 100% chance of weather.
    The best ski days always happen when the naysayers are telling you to stay home.

"It rained to the top last night - it'll suck out there." - music to my ears!

This late October weather pattern is not doing W/B any favors... it needs to leave immediately
    FTFY

28cm base at pig alley end of october, snow and falling freezing levels in the forecast, yeah, we're getting so screwed.....

What's progress like on the new lifts? Are they going to be up and running anywhere close to opening weekend. Friends in Squamish were telling me that they still didn't have all of the pads poured and towers installed and that was around the middle of September.

Quote Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
    What's progress like on the new lifts? Are they going to be up and running anywhere close to opening weekend. Friends in Squamish were telling me that they still didn't have all of the pads poured and towers installed and that was around the middle of September.
    seem to be on track, haul rope installation and splicing has been happening the past couple weeks

Would be awesome if some of todays precip fell as snow, but its still early. Last year was a slow October, then mid November was wild and i rode super deep pow days before opening. I love how everyone freaks out, every year, without fail...

Previous years stoke to gett'er fired up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	873.8 KB 
ID:	253521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	955.7 KB 
ID:	253522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0468[1].jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	517.1 KB 
ID:	253523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1292 (2).jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	918.3 KB 
ID:	253524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25637415_10155856216826083_1235828767_o.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	253525
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1180.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	879.2 KB 
ID:	253526  

we start training pretty quick. whis at it already.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Here's the question: what's faster? Uploading on the Whistler gondola or taking the new Blackcomb gondola to P2P? Considering normal lift line lengths I'd put my money on the Blackcomb route getting you to Roundhouse faster much of the time.
    P2P doesn’t open right away though most mornings does it? Mid morning might be faster on busy weekends though.

Forecast looks promising. If it doesn’t pan out just keep mtn biking.

Forecast looks a bit more improved then before... I was seeing rain pr mix precip to the mountain tops tonight and this weekend.

Never been to Whistler before...hoping to make the journey this year from the east coast. Thinking late spring, though. Decent time to go?

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBobby View Post
    Never been to Whistler before...hoping to make the journey this year from the east coast. Thinking late spring, though. Decent time to go?
    Can you go sooner?

I go around the first week of April most years and conditions are usually very good then.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Can you go sooner?
    Possibly, have a UT trip planned as well and wouldn't want them to be too close to one another. Trying for 1x a month.

What do you consider "late spring"?