Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Most days I had to be at my desk for support, weekends I was usually sledding or BC ( I didn’t count that in days).
    It all makes sense now! Radical.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    ...did you find you were able to be part of the community or was it isolating? I’m envisioning being one of a very small number of remote workers (none of whom know each other) in a community consisting of rich weekenders and locals who give up most things to ski/bike and just can’t relate socially to someone with pressing (and demanding) work commitments. Is the better bet to set up (also remotely) in Vancouver and just rent a hotel for 10 weekends a year, with additional day trips when the snow warrants it?
    ….
    It is what you make it. Some winters I intentionally wanted some isolation in Whistler, and that was easy to achieve. Or if you want to meet people, that's easy to achieve, too. I guess it's difficult for one to find the precise housing situation one wants, so one might end up settling for a housing situation one didn't really want...but I hear Vancouver is tough for housing, too.

I've never done summer in Whistler. How bad is the wildfire smoke?

What do YOU want to do more regularly? Mountain activities? Or city activities? If you're not going to harness the value of Whistler's mountain activities very often, then don't live in Whistler. When I want to ski 100-130 days per winter, Whistler is a no-brainer for me.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

The highest of the high north faces still holding good snow. Fitzsimmons north face skied very well yesterday!

Name:  IMG_4054.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  553.2 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4055.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	621.6 KB 
ID:	277090

Sun was nice yesterday. Definitely missing it today.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    The highest of the high north faces still holding good snow. Fitzsimmons north face skied very well yesterday!
    Nice work!

I'm a software nerd living in Whistler. I work for a local company here and have lots of flexibility. There are lots of people from all walks of life here. I have friends who work construction year round, bartend, chef, Cisco network support, you name it they are here. You eventually find your crew but it can take time. If you're not a dick it will take less time. Very easy to make friends in summer through social bike rides advocated by WORCA, winter can be a bit tougher and feel cliquey, but its just like anywhere in the world.

Drunk aussies/brits are super easy to avoid whenever you want and generally easy to plow when you want as well if thats your scene.

I can't think of living anywhere else, except maybe pemberton now, and if you have the opportunity you would be crazy to not try...

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Maybe too soft a question for a stoke forum, but did you find you were able to be part of the community or was it isolating? I’m envisioning being one of a very small number of remote workers (none of whom know each other) in a community consisting of rich weekenders and locals who give up most things to ski/bike and just can’t relate socially to someone with pressing (and demanding) work commitments.
    I volunteer for W-B which gets me a pass and I work with lots of locals. I'm in Events which is mostly youngsters but Mountain Hosts and Mountain Safety are full of long time locals. They're always looking for adults.

There's lots of non-tourist activities going on; you just have to get involved.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Sun was nice yesterday. Definitely missing it today.
    Took my friend up and we skied Sunday through Tuesday. Pretty good timing for bluebird spring skiing. It was his first time in Whistler and I think he's hooked. I'm sure next time he's here it will be zero visibility and rain for his entire trip!
    Last edited by The AD; 04-04-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Pretty decent 4 days up there.
    Quick run up stair master this morning, nice turns. Some good ones in resort both saturday and sunday. Nice to be storm riding again. Feels like that might have been the last pow though.

Snowing 2cms/hour now

another couple of good days out there. Took my girlfriend out to pattison yesterday. Saw the debris from the sz2 SA on decker on our way back. Buddy without the beacon got incredibly lucky to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    .I can't think of living anywhere else, except maybe pemberton now, and if you have the opportunity you would be crazy to not try...
    Last week I ran into a guy I hadn't seen in 5 yars up here with his film crew, back in the day he would have been living THE life

he told me " Whistler is Disneyland for me, I'm in Pemerton now "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Few laps of bushrat this morning then a quick lap down DOA. probably the best ive had the chute this year, apron was decent but much crustier underneath. Last few storms have had stuff finally sticking to some of the steeper faces a bit better. Fingers crossed it keeps up.

Damn where the fuck is everyone!
    Patrol were going mental this am. Saw one send a large air out the bottom of the teetering spine, a mental double under the horstman hut, another one ski crackhouse like a bad mf'er. All this on the way to the skin track. Bet they have to go checkout xmas, boxing and showcase are later... Good lap down the east face of spearhead, broke trail all the way up decker, and all the way to disease.

Name:	IMG_2526[1].jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	278608

Name:	IMG_2538.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	278609
    Yesterday was also pretty damn good with some fun laps inbounds in the milkbird

It's bike season now, no snow left.

I recently skied Jackson Hole for my first time and fell in love with it. Apart from the varied terrain, the vertical is what did it for me, never had so much... damn near took me 20-25 mins average top to bottom. I like that a lot! Had to take breaks on the way down which isn’t something I’m used to.

Spending 20mins riding lift up to ski down in 10 can start to feel repetitious. I always want the descent to last longer...

It has shit ton of acreage too. I found myself frequently surprised at its immensity, and getting lost far more often than I’m used to.

JH made me realize the importance of big vert and acreage, which got me thinking about Whistler, which has more of both.

Can anyone with experience at both share their thoughts on the advantages and differences between the two? Not trying to turn this into a fanboy pissing contest, just would like to hear genuine experiences.

Is getting to the top of Whistler really that time-consuming? I read it’s the most visited in North America, but also the largest, does that mean it disperses crowds well? I love tree skiing, how do the two compare?

I'm far more familiar with W/B than Jackson, but enjoy both, here's my take -

W/B is much bigger and much busier that JH (Blackcomb is better at spreading out the crowds than Whistler).
    More vert at W/B, but you're not usually going to use it all, so in effect it's a shorter hill.
    The lift lines are longer generally at W/B, but if you're riding the tram at JH, the lines won't seem long at all.
    Because of the size, the goods can be harder to find at W/B, local knowledge there is more valuable than any other resort I've ever been to.
    Outside of the high seasons, or a huge powder Sat morning, W/B's lines have been waaay shorter in recent years - and often times you'll ski right on and be one of one or two people in a bowl.
    I found the tree stashes easier to find in JH.
    In order to use all of JH's vertical you start in bowls and have to do a bit of everything on the way down, bowls, trees, moguls etc. - that's less often the case in W/B, if you want to ski just alpine or just trees, it's possible.
    Both have world class backcountry access - W/B's is a bit easier to access.
    If you like one, you'll like the other - both are money well spent and the differences are nuances.

Whistler just by the numbers:
    Acres: 8,171 (Whistler is 4,757 plus Blackcomb 3,414)
    Vertical drop: 5,133
    Lifts: 37 lifts, 65,500 skiers/hr uphill capacity

Jackson Hole Numbers:
    Acres: 2,500
    Vertical drop: 4,139
    Lifts: 16 lifts, 16,733 skiers/hr uphill capacity

Sad news out of Pemberton today... didn’t know him outside of ski media but seemed like a super solid dude and obviously part of a legendary ski family. Tough couple years... RIP.

fuck.

Sad news.

It sure seemed like prime time up there a week ago.

NF Fitz skied lovely 4/12

DOA and Foon were in prime shape 4/14

Glacier coverage last year (above avg snow totals) vs this year (below avg)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Glacier coverage last year (above avg snow totals) vs this year (below avg)
    No chance i would wanna set a track up that this year...

Pat L with the serac slalom on Overlord Glacier. Sextuple overhead blower in April

Fissile sunset

Last edited by LeeLau; 04-30-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Shocked that it looked so good. Have just been working and riding inbounds slush laps. Really hoping for another couple of alpine refreshes...

So I asked this a years ago – before it got built, but now that we’ve had a few years with the Squamish Gondola, what’s been the experience with it as access to ski touring? Worth the price of admission? I see a very few trip reports, but they are all pretty good – and no meadow skipping, all serious looking skiing.

Generally good? Generally good, but too technical of the average weekend warrior? Great when it’s good, but otherwise, not so much? What I see suggests it great, but I see very little of it, so suspect conditions might be spotty (or I’m breaking the first rule of fight club…)

Cheers