Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Lift status on the web said 7th and Peak both opened?

Yeah check that, got a few laps in late. Moderate wind, viz ok, most tracked quick after 1230 opening. Still good, though few sharks still lurk up high

we hiked up the road above jersey to the reservoir and as we were skiing down a few people were on the chair uploading, we got 2 laps ski on 7th before it got busy there, nice to stay just ahead of the crowds today, had quite a few decent laps

I feel like we're all missing the important bits here - a few huge dumps early season combined with FOMO will have people blowing through their edge cards. That, plus xmas holidays, will mean a huge number of skiers are done for the season by end of Jan. I don't know what percentage of sales are to edge cards, but my experience has always been that big powder days in December meant for way shorter lift lines in Feb/Mar (US holidays excluded). IMO that makes a way bigger difference to my season that the early season powder, before lifts are properly turning and the sharks are covered.

This may have been true before EPIC, but I think more people than not that I rode with today were Epic-assoc. I do think that crowds this year will be tame relatively speaking, but this will largely be due to El nino shittiness. Smart money is on now-early Jan and end of march-close

Whistler conditions 18-19

Turned out to be an awesome day... decent mid mtn turns around Emerald in the morning then Peak to Harmony laps after... wasn’t as much wind effect as I expected other than Sun Bowl trees typical wind runnels at the top. Horseshoe 5, Boomer, Gun Barrels, Hidden Chute and Robertson’s all delivered. Peak was busy but not insane lines. Exceeded expectations for sure and props to Patrol for getting stuff open.

Not much Alpine open today. Stormin' good up high, snowing at the village. Still goods to be had (albeit heavy) off of higher Crystal-served tributaries.

Weird weather today. It started with heavy pow, then went to cement around 10, so we went in for coffee. Came back out around 11 and the snow had lightened up again.

The new Blackcomb gondola was pretty nice for the upload. There was next to no line at the bottom, and it was nice not having to transfer lifts. It did stop many times though. Anyone know what’s up with that? Over-active sensors or something?

Whistler Village gondola was stopping a bunch as well, I assume auto wind stop. Wet day for sure, mid morning was the worst of it and then conditions improved a ton after 12 when it cooled a bit (even though Pig Alley data seems to show 0.5C all day) and started dumping. Enjoyed good snow all day traversing around Whistler to the usual spots, not much competition as it was pretty quiet especially compared to yesterday.

I mostly ski Whistler but want to check that new gondola out... 13 min from base to Rendevouz in a big dry cabin on a storm day sounds pretty awesome. Mon-Weds look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    I feel like we're all missing the important bits here - a few huge dumps early season combined with FOMO will have people blowing through their edge cards. That, plus xmas holidays, will mean a huge number of skiers are done for the season by end of Jan. I don't know what percentage of sales are to edge cards, but my experience has always been that big powder days in December meant for way shorter lift lines in Feb/Mar (US holidays excluded). IMO that makes a way bigger difference to my season that the early season powder, before lifts are properly turning and the sharks are covered.
    If you bought an Edge card early it was free skiing until December 15. That was part of the reason it was so busy. Edge cards also came in two flavours -- restricted days (e.g. Christmas) or unlimited. Most locals with Edge cards took the cheaper restricted version.

It looks like more snow in Colorado this year so maybe the Epic Americans will ski closer to home.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

few good laps this morning and some blue sky patches, definitely a lot better conditions than yesterday aft

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    If you bought an Edge card early it was free skiing until December 15. That was part of the reason it was so busy. Edge cards also came in two flavours -- restricted days (e.g. Christmas) or unlimited. Most locals with Edge cards took the cheaper restricted version.

It looks like more snow in Colorado this year so maybe the Epic Americans will ski closer to home.
    American Thanksgiving was a huge bust snow wise. Last year all 3 American long weekends were bad conditions just on the other side of storm cycles. May the trend continue.

Acceptable

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181217_095111.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	260475

Name:	20181217_115736.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	260476

Name:	20181217_125537(0).jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	260477

Name:	48363789_10156366167776339_2258081418104012800_n.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	260478

Name:	IMG_7290.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	260479

Nice shots. Tomorrow could be good?

Has the new gondola been opening at the same time as Excalibur/Excel on big days?

I'm sure conditions will be satisfactory, though I hear it's supposed to be pretty windy.

I'll be up tomorrow and Wednesday and maybe Thursday if anyone wants to go for a rip.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Leelau always brings the stoke. What a player.

What's the deal with the significant amount of lower runs still closed? Been snowing to the valley a lot, hasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Leelau always brings the stoke. What a player.

What's the deal with the significant amount of lower runs still closed? Been snowing to the valley a lot, hasn't it?
    I tell my friends ill go ahead real quick "just to get the pic". Works every time

It's mixed rain and snow all night in the valley. I think there's all sorts of holes still on many lower trails

Latest report has 60cms on storm board. Thats wind + new

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I tell my friends ill go ahead real quick "just to get the pic". Works every time
    Beware the Lee sandbag when photos and cliffs are involved. Drops may be larger than he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Beware the Lee sandbag when photos and cliffs are involved. Drops may be larger than he says.
    Touring Friday and Sat! Come along - i'll even break trail!

Blackcomb - 28cms new. 60cms on the storm board. Average.

Mostly trees. 7th ran for about 1.5 hrs till chair had mechanical. Glacier ran for about an hour

Name:	20181218_124137.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	260611

Name:  20181218_124504.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  153.5 KB

Name:  LRG_DSC02725.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  138.3 KB

Blackcomb was skiing way deeper than 28cm, and visibility was actually pretty good. I got two runs on 7th heaven before the liftline went to infinity, and those two runs did not suck. Fresh tracks and faceshots. Lift got switched to backup diesel and apparently went down shortly after.

Glacier and peak chairs were turning, but I didn't see anyone loading. All in all an excellent day with next to no crowds.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Whistler was sick this morning, Creekside started uploading with barely half full corral, skied right on to Red until 10:30, watched patrol bomb Shale and watched as it went to ground and ran to the reservoir...freaking insane! sounds like lots of big results out there today.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Blackcomb was skiing way deeper than 28cm, and visibility was actually pretty good. I got two runs on 7th heaven before the liftline went to infinity, and those two runs did not suck. Fresh tracks and faceshots. Lift got switched to backup diesel and apparently went down shortly after.

Glacier and peak chairs were turning, but I didn't see anyone loading. All in all an excellent day with next to no crowds.
    agree, 7th was short lived but deep and colder snow.

Glacier started loading just after 2 (surprised me they even opened it by that time). It spun for at least an hour before loading. That wait seems a high price to pay. But then I endured Friday so who’s the idiot?

Really solid day.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Had an amazing day on Blackcomb, need to get over there on pow days more often. Parked at Base 2 and walked right onto the new gondola around 8:20 with zero line (??). JC was stupid deep + nice light snow the first few laps, managed to get over to Crystal for opening about 8 chairs back.. so much fun bombing trees at full speed again. Missed 7th as I jumped the gun thinking Whistler alpine was going to open.. ended up waiting around an hour for the t-bar to open, could've just skinned up Pikas but I knew if I left they would pop the damn thing. Consolation prize was 3 Boomer/Wet Dreams/Gun Barrells top to bottom untracked laps. Really no lines all day except T-bar for a bit. Solo so no action shots, here's my tips:

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	260691

And here's a shitty iPhone pic of the slide on Shale Slope with contrast turned up. Hope someone got it on video.. Heard hanging roll went big as well?

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	386.0 KB 
ID:	260692

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    here's my tips:

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	260691
    This looks fucking amazing.

hanging roll went across hwy 86 I had heard, in addition to west cirque totally cleaned out, someone said 'to ground' also, but I have zero confirmation on that...the big ole berm at the bottom of Shale certainly did it's job yesterday though!

Name:	AA6038A6-457B-4F13-9F7B-B29F73F5BBC2.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	861.5 KB 
ID:	260700