Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hey Foggy I take it you are as skinny as ever right? It's crazy how much colder I run at 8-9% BF vs 10-11. I'm a fan of the merino wool as long as I can find it on sale, the 200 weight is ok for warmer but it's not durable- I put my finger nails through it a few times pulling it on, but the 260 weight is money for me.

I really love touring when it's 10-15F out as opposed to the 25-32 in the pnw as I move a bit and start sweating at a fairly low threshold it's nice when I get to leave my coat on. Well that and the snow is better too further from melt freeze.

Besides a puffy, I always have a pair of chemical hand warmers in the pack just in case. At @$1/pop, maybe just slip em in pants pocket at the start if it's really cold?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    sorry but the farenhiet doesn't work in BC
    Have you tried mnemonics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Swipe left, Mofro. Yeah, I guess I'm not fat? 6'0 165

So basically, ya'll are just saying wear thicker long underwear when it is cold. That is what I thought but didn't know if there were any new fabrics that I didn't know about. And I guess temps could be more like down to -5F

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Yeah, I guess I'm not fat? 6'0 165
    Steaks, burgers, potatoes, double ipa’s. Eat and drink them and reap the benefits of their warmth

when I'm laying for a hot day, its lightweight/silkweight capilene. Merino mid-weight bottom and thermal weight/c4 hoody for normal winter laying. For very cold laying, I like an r1 hoody and thermal weight bottoms. YLMV

Pair of thin board shorts over the merino long johns. This leave just your knees exposed and usually these are generating heat (watch where snow accumulates vs melts when you are riding the lift on a storm day).

Added bonus is you have some shorts with you when you poach a hot tub post ski.

If they still have some left in your size The Outdoor Research radiant hybrid hooded jacket and pants are ideal for what you are looking for- at least I enjoy them for what you are describing

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

I’m gonna get a pair of Dynafit puffy over shorts this season. When I’m on the ski hill I’ll wear them under a hard shell when it’s super cold and have them in the pack when touring to go over the soft shell pants when stationary or real cold.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'll occasionally use cycling sleeves on days where a t-shirt is close to enough (and wearing a lightweight headband and gloves).

Dorky, but having my forearms warm means I can usually avoid wearing a jacket that I'll sweat out no matter how light or vented.

PNW touring on swampy days so YMMV a lot.

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but it seems like you are needlessly complicating things. I read the OP as "I got this great new gear, it's great! Except it's not great, it doesn't work the way I need my gear to work, so I need new gear to add to this awesome new gear I got to compensate for the fact that this great new gear I got isn't so great".

Seems to me that if the gear is so wonderfully breathable that it isn't keeping wind out and isn't keeping you warm enough, the solution isn't to get thicker base layers or god forbid wind proof base layers, but instead to get rid of the new wonderfully breathable gear, at least for the colder days.

I prefer to have outerwear that has big vents/pit zips, and control my temp that way. For very cold days I'll wear another base layer or a thicker base layer. And do think a puffy in the pack is always a good idea. But I have way more body fat than you and prefer to be warmer rather than colder, so YMMV.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You are not wrong Danno. I was just wondering if I was missing something. And yes, safety bob, a puffy is always in my pack.

For contex, in 1995 I got a set of Gore-tex Mtn Hardware jacket and pants. I thought, "wow, I never knew you could be dry skiing". I ran that system for 20+ years. Last year I got the super breathable soft shell stuff. I though, "wow, I never knew you could get all sweaty and then your clothes would magically dry out".

So, the old motto was, "being a little cold is better than being swampy because then you will get really cold". I'm wondering if buy running warmer base/insulating layers (specifically bottoms) you can change that motto to "well, you can be a bit warm because once it cools off and you stop sweating, the under layers just dry out".

Those OR tights are kinda what I was thinking. Bonus...I get to where tights.