Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I can't believe I'm asking a laying question

So I got a super nice Patagonia Knife Ridge jacket and pants. They are great for touring as they are so much more breathable than hardshell which is all I've ever had. Sometimes I am just a bit cold. Think about a mid winter Colorado Day where it might be 15 degrees and windy.

What I think I need are some more windproof warmer long johns. I've always just worn Patagonia capaline or fleece. I also think I need a puffy that packs up small to go over the top.

How do you manage this? What suggestions do you have?

Thanks

get yer mom to help you dress

or go harder and wear a puffy when you stop
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^^ Nice call on bringing Mom into the "Laying" question.

In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Skin faster. if you’re in really good shape eat more ice cream and get fat so it’s more work and you’ll generate more body heat.

I wear just a Patagonia calpaline mid weight layer and soft shell outers, usually unzipped with every vent open. The best thing about skinning in Co is the wind and cold temp to keep you cool. Spent a week in Jackson last year and I swear I lost 15lbs in sweat alone, though the additional O2 did allow for 7k+ days which I can’t do at our altitude.

Sounds like you need a Bross 3.0 from Freeride Systems. PM MiCol and see if he's got any stashed in your size.

90% of my winter touring days in CO I wear an old Houdini and no-membrane softshell pants. I wear them up and down hill with no switching of layers. I choose base layers based on expected temps.

I have a stretchy running hat and cheap, thin, but wind proof gloves that fit easily in pockets if I'm too warm. This is an extremely quick way to regulate temperature. My warm gloves and hat rarely make it out of my pack.

If it's unusually warm I might take off the Houdini, but first I'll unzip it and tuck it up under my pack so my front is more fully exposed. If it's really cold I put my hood on over the hat, or more occasionally, throw something over the Houdini, either a 10 ounce hard shell I carry as an emergency piece, or, if I'm expecting bitter cold, an old hooded soft shell (also no membrane) with more coverage and warmer feel. Wind has to be really blasting to make it through the Houdini AND a softshell.

If it's really effing cold or windy I might wear hardshell pants, or throw a very light pair in my pack in case something goes wrong. If I sit down or take a break for some reason I throw big ass puffy over everything. I always carry the big ass puffy.

This all comes of of laziness. I want to be a comfortable, but I don't want to take off my pack ever. My skins fit inside the Houdini just fine.

Didn't plan to write that much....

Short version: Get a breathable windbreaker type jacket with a hood that weighs about four ounces. If you get cold, put the Knife Ridge on over it.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Short version: P2V
    FIFY.

PL100 adhesive. Or chalk fit and hide glue. Either work.

on a serious note: a warm jacket and a warmer jacket are part of the rescue kit.

Wind proof base layers are waaaaayyyyy to warm for any real aerobic activity imo. I thought they would be perfect so picked up a pair of fleece bottoms and top. Only good for sitting in camp when it’s really cold.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Got it. You just where the cool guy new stuff and just run a little cold. Awesome.

I can't believe I'm asking a laying question

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    90% of my winter touring days in CO I wear an old Houdini and no-membrane softshell pants. I wear them up and down hill with no switching of layers. I choose base layers based on expected temps.

I have a stretchy running hat and cheap, thin, but wind proof gloves that fit easily in pockets if I'm too warm. This is an extremely quick way to regulate temperature. My warm gloves and hat rarely make it out of my pack.

If it's unusually warm I might take off the Houdini, but first I'll unzip it and tuck it up under my pack so my front is more fully exposed. If it's really cold I put my hood on over the hat, or more occasionally, throw something over the Houdini, either a 10 ounce hard shell I carry as an emergency piece, or, if I'm expecting bitter cold, an old hooded soft shell (also no membrane) with more coverage and warmer feel. Wind has to be really blasting to make it through the Houdini AND a softshell.

If it's really effing cold or windy I might wear hardshell pants, or throw a very light pair in my pack in case something goes wrong. If I sit down or take a break for some reason I throw big ass puffy over everything. I always carry the big ass puffy.

This all comes of of laziness. I want to be a comfortable, but I don't want to take off my pack ever. My skins fit inside the Houdini just fine.

Didn't plan to write that much....

Short version: Get a breathable windbreaker type jacket with a hood that weighs about four ounces. If you get cold, put the Knife Ridge on over it.
    This is very good advice, and pretty close to my system here in Squamish/Whistler

My only difference is that I use a non-membrane soft shell jacket) instead of the Houdini (Dynafit Mercury jkt) and have a windroof vest in the pack, to put on top if it’s windy

Last edited by rob stokes; 10-25-2018 at 08:19 PM.

OK, I will ask a different way.

What type of long johns do you where when it is super cold and windy and you are wearing softshell pants.

Apparently I am a puss and I tour too slowly because sometimes I am actually cold. It's funny because I hear all this "I tour in a base layer" "I have special uphill gloves" "I run hot so I don't even wear pants" but when I'm out doing it at 12/13K up on the divide in January I see a lot of puffies, mittens, and cold people.

merino + wool pants + vest.
    I relegate the softshell for warm sunny days and use gtx with decent sized vents most of the time.

I challenge you to a slowness race
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What type of long johns do you where when it is super cold and windy and you are wearing softshell pants.
    260-weight merino boot-cut.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Heavy weight merino bottoms, mid weight top. If it’s really cold I put real fleece pants and a puffy (been good to -10F). I don’t like to be cold.

The comment about the wind proof fleece wasn’t meant to be snarky, I was just relating how surprised I was by the warmth. Especially the pants.

I do ride in the winter w wind proof fronts and breathable backs. Seems to work well.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Merino wool base layer and shells with large outside side and inseam zips. Open ‘em wide when warm and zip em up when the wind/cold get to you.

Wind, cold? Patagonia Nanopuff, good wind pro in a light synth puffy.

I’m not aware of any windproof long handles. I’ve had wind blow thru softshell pants - sucks, so I got a different brand (Arc’teryx). If it’s brutal, I’ll break out the hardshells. Wish I had a better suggestion, maybe Patagonia R1 pants.

OK, I will ask a different way.

I have a couple of ancient pairs of no brand long johns with a fleecy inner but a harder outer face. Unlike most fleece LJs which seem to fit more like sweat pants, they're tight, like cycling tights. They work well in your described conditions.

Realize this is not much help since they're no brand and nearing heirloom vintage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I have a couple of ancient pairs of no brand long johns with a fleecy inner but a harder outer face. Unlike most fleece LJs which seem to fit more like sweat pants, they're tight, like cycling tights. They work well in your described conditions.
    +1
    lined cycling tights seems like they'd be worth a try

R1 pants and hoody. Might as well go full Patagucci.

cw-x stabylix insulated, 3/4. Favorite leg baselayer for anything. Might get a non-insulated pair for hotter days. I was a compression hater, but damned if it's not way fucking better--especially at the end of multiple days in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    +1
    lined cycling tights seems like they'd be worth a try
    Yes, like that, but way way better, and purpose-built for an activity where you're standing up and moving as opposed to sitting on a bike seat.

actulay your mom would put way too many layers on you and once she got you all dressed you would need to go the the bathroom

i've worn no base layer at -25C in a soft shell, there is no right answer because everybodies internal thermostat is different

I think smart wool isn't any warmer than capilene or any plastic based base layer but IME it just costs twice as much and doesn't wear worth a damn before its full of holes

what wool IS good for is not stinking after a week in a BC hut but if you are close to a washing machine just go plastic

For the BC in BC the layers arent that important for me, the main thing is I have a lighter puffy jacket to go on at stops, if its colder than -10C a heavy puffy jacket

no long johns until its colder than -10C but YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    no long johns until its colder than -10C but YMMV
    So 14F which is remarkably close to his

Think about a mid winter Colorado Day where it might be 15 degrees and windy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

R1 Hoody. BC.com branded Polartech Powerstretch tights that have ripped and been re-sewn in the crotch several times.

But if I expect bitter cold and high winds I wear hard shell pants.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    So 14F which is remarkably close to his
    sorry but the farenhiet doesn't work in BC