Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any reviews on Daymaker touring setup?

https://www.daymakertouring.com/coll...uring-adapters

How do these compare to BCA Alpine Trekkers? The price is really high....

Paired with the Shift it could be a perfect solution for chargey ex-racer side country missions.

JFC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Any reviews on Daymaker touring setup?

^ Lol!How a company like that survives in this day and age is beyond me. Especially with Dukes, Barons etc that make this product useless.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    ^ Lol!How a company like that survives in this day and age is beyond me. Especially with Dukes, Barons etc that make this product useless.
    But how many of them can compete with a svelte 1380g unit weight, huh?

Way better than frame bindings in every way. I never got to try the BCA adapters but they never got good reviews. I'm considering a second pair for my wife. I don't remember the exact weight but if I remember correct the daymakers plus tyrolia bindings is about the same or less than the various frame bindings out there.

Daymakers +sth216=3820grms
    Marker baron=2709
    Duke=2864
    Those frame binders are on the heavy side.
    Market f12tour=1800
    Then you have to take them off and put them in your pack.
    I have no dog in this fight as I really don’t tour but just by weight and other aspects frame bindings make these look archaic.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Daymakers +sth216=3820grms
    Marker baron=2709
    Duke=2864
    Those frame binders are on the heavy side.
    Market f12tour=1800
    Then you have to take them off and put them in your pack.
    I have no dog in this fight as I really don’t tour but just by weight and other aspects frame bindings make these look archaic.
    From what I understand the daymakers are supposed to be more comfortable to tour with because they move the effective pivot point to underneath the ball of your foot (rather than an inch in front of your foot like frame bindings).
    Not saying that I would use them, mind you. The target audience is definitely folks who don't tour and probably have no business touring. Only use I could see is to have a pair to loan to friends.

Fucking lol

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Fucking lol
    lol yeah

Quote Originally Posted by kapow3583 View Post
    https://www.daymakertouring.com/coll...uring-adapters

How do these compare to BCA Alpine Trekkers? The price is really high....
    At that price I’d keep the orange P18s you are thinking about selling, send them and your boots (if they don’t have a tech toe already) to CAST, and you’ll get a superior system at half the weight (or less).

That price is ridiculous

CAST 1.0 would be a whole lot better than those for less money and a lot less weight on the uphill, and CAST 2.0 even better.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    The target audience is definitely folks who don't tour and probably have no business touring. Only use I could see is to have a pair to loan to friends.
    Some rippers in Cham use them
    Jakob Wester and Tof Henry to name a few. They probably got sponsored though. But for the flat Argentiere glacier approach + bootpack up the steeps (leave the daymaker at the bottom) it is not that stupid. Although i agree CAST would be way better (if you are dead set on skiing the pivot on the way down).

Just a thought: Maybe they use it because they want their boots and this pivot point of the day-makers aligns way better with a no-walk-mode-140-felx-boot.

Never used those but I am happy that we have products better suited to most peoples needs.

Daybreakers

CAST is a better option

So maybe I'm the only one on here that actually has spent time on the Daymakers. They've worked very well for me. No problems and if I did have a problem I'm pretty sure I'd get good customer service. Looks like they are totally serviceable and you can get parts if you ever break or lose anything. They even sent me a bunch of extra screws etc. just in case. I've been able to talk to the people at Daymakers whenever I wanted or had questions and always get a great response.
    Night and day difference from my Marker frame bindings. The Markers were less comfortable on the uphill and the climbing aid frequently slipped out. The stack height was not my favorite thing on the downhill but I dealt with it until my binding broke right off my ski one day when I was skiing. No help from Marker on that one and they cannot be repaired.
    Cast is really the competition. When I bought my Daymakers I knew people that bought cast and they didn't even get their set ups until the winter was basically over ( huge delays). I've never been able to play with the current CAST but I've toured with people that had the STH cast and it seemed fiddly. They had to carry a tool to clear away the snow to transition. At one point I was in a group with the cast guy and two split boarders and we were all faster at transitions than the guy with the Cast system.
    So far daymakers has sold out every batch they have made and I haven't seen a lot of pairs on gear swap. Really TGR just isn't their target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    Just a thought: Maybe they use it because they want their boots and this pivot point of the day-makers aligns way better with a no-walk-mode-140-felx-boot.

Never used those but I am happy that we have products better suited to most peoples needs.
    A better day wrecker 10yrs ago may have been revolutionary. But now, they make infinitely better touring boots and bindings.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

They already made these several years ago... it was called the AFD plate or something. They went out of business because they're lame and heavy so why not get Dukes / Guardians? I mean, in 2011 they weren't *that* lame compared to what else was out there, but nowadays they're fucking stupid when you can get Tectons or Shifts or other options.

MFD plates. Different system though. IIRC, it was just a plate that you mounted alpine bindings to and it had a hinge at the front. Hinge was in a spot not as good as these too. So it was skiing alpine bindings with extra stack.

I don't really see the market for these with Tecton (and modern beefier touring boots) and particularly Shifts. But I guess I'm glad they're out there. If these dudes can make a go of it and they're helping people have fun on snow, I'm not going to shit on their idea, goofy as it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    They already made these several years ago... it was called the AFD plate or something. They went out of business because they're lame and heavy so why not get Dukes / Guardians? I mean, in 2011 they weren't *that* lame compared to what else was out there, but nowadays they're fucking stupid when you can get Tectons or Shifts or other options.
    MFD Alltime were actually super cool. They were absolutely bomb proof and much better than all frame bindings. 1 plate was ~600gr and with P14 for example, they were around 1600 each, while Guardians were 1500? I even tele-d on them.
    I guess they failed because you can't make stable profitable business from products like CAST. It's just a very small niche

But yeah, daymaykers look ridiculous in 2018.

Ah, I see the difference now... as a stand alone product not mounted to the ski. Didn't get that from the photo and thought it was an MFD variation.

Interesting. Still don't see much point with the current offerings and that's still going to be heavy AF, but hey, it's something I suppose. I will say, it could be cool to have a pair for various friends to use who haven't toured before, and in a pinch they can just use it with their regular setup. Not that I'm looking to drop $350 for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Ah, I see the difference now... as a stand alone product not mounted to the ski. Didn't get that from the photo and thought it was an MFD variation.
    Yes these are basically just daywrekkers with a spoon full of added Naxo multiple pivot rigidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

That's exactly what I'm doing. Cast's new system is so money. Same price - better touring capability (I'm guessing...
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    At that price I’d keep the orange P18s you are thinking about selling, send them and your boots (if they don’t have a tech toe already) to CAST, and you’ll get a superior system at half the weight (or less).

That price is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    MFD Alltime were actually super cool. They were absolutely bomb proof and much better than all frame bindings. 1 plate was ~600gr and with P14 for example, they were around 1600 each, while Guardians were 1500? I even tele-d on them.
    I guess they failed because you can't make stable profitable business from products like CAST. It's just a very small niche

But yeah, daymaykers look ridiculous in 2018.
    mfd plates actually sucked all the balls for having a crazy far forward hinge as well as fucking up the camber profile of any ski with too much top shape from the core profile. a consequence of trying to keep stack height at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yes these are basically just daywrekkers with a spoon full of added Naxo multiple pivot rigidity.
    From my highly opinionated keyboard I would agree with this ^^

for a certain entry level segment with no money just buy them and go touring with whatever alpine gear you already own

I still don't understand what the real weights are ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Used mine for the first time this past week, 2 hour tour 2000 vert ish, thought they were great. Dont have any experience with tech setups but they blew the dukes and guardians I had out of the water, way smoother. Kind of heavy I guess but I run p18s so can't ask for much in that department. Barely felt them in the pack on the way down. Paid $250 for mine used