Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Any outdates?

I’ve been using Guardians and wouldn’t mind ditching the stack height and weight inbounds. I had originally been planning on migrating to Shifts but it doesn’t sound like they are quite ready for daily inbounds use.

Shifts are OK in bounds if not doing anything too aggressive. They’re sensitive and I pre-released on mine in moguls and don’t plan on skiing them in-bounds anymore (to be fair i had them set at 9 and usually ski around 10.5 DIN - but I’ve skid plenty at 8.5-9 and never had pre-release issues with markers and pivots). I’m a total pivot 15/18 convert and the daymakers look pretty cool to me for skis i don’t plan to tour a lot on. I’m looking forward to some long term reviews of the duke PT 16 as well - not jumping in for a few years after my shift experience.

For the record - the shifts have been mostly great, so not crapping on the product at all, particularly if you know how to adjust for your boots and check every couple days.

My thought is Shifts for a backcountry ski coming inbounds and alpine bindings for a resort ski going to the backcountry. At least for now.

Guardians vs Daymakers is really for a 90/10 ski that sees mostly resort. I’ve used Trekkers in the past and remember them sucking but not devastatingly so. Of course, you often tend to remember things more fondly.

To be fair, I enjoyed my trekkers a lot more than my guardians. Dukes skied better than guardians but had a weird ramp angle and iced up so damn much. Trekkers were nearly useless on icy off camber side hill skin tracks but if you're skiing places that punched, you deserve to suffer.

Daymakers are meant to be a budget option for people looking for a cast set up. Why are they being compared to tectons?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    To be fair, I enjoyed my trekkers a lot more than my guardians. Dukes skied better than guardians but had a weird ramp angle and iced up so damn much. Trekkers were nearly useless on icy off camber side hill skin tracks but if you're skiing places that punched, you deserve to suffer.

Daymakers are meant to be a budget option for people looking for a cast set up. Why are they being compared to tectons?
    people aren't that smart, are unreasonable, fail to see/accept the limitations of a product, fail to see a product for what it is

pick one ^^ or all 4

I see an alpine trekker like product, if it doesnt break so the newbie can get out there on minimum outlay and do all the newbie things thats good cuz i think most of the trekkers are gone by now
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Buy Pindung(they even have dildo style heel)
    Post reviews here
    Win

the Daymaker like the alpine trekker requires no nothing, just buy em, adjust them up and go touring/ sweating you bag off in your hill skiing gear with the pants on the ground
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm considering grabbing a pair of these. I like the idea of using different skis with them.

If I go Duke PT16, I gotta get new boots, and some slightly lighter skis to make it all worth the hassle.

So like $320 and some sweating vs $1500+

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    I'm considering grabbing a pair of these. I like the idea of using different skis with them.

If I go Duke PT16, I gotta get new boots, and some slightly lighter skis to make it all worth the hassle.

The only reason to buy these is to realize you shouldn't. Despite people telling you not to.

Knock yourself out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Better off throwing inserts into multiple skis rather than spending the money on Day Makers. You'll hate yourself way less, and ski way more that way....

From previous experience - Kingpins and Pivots play well together with their mount patterns, and are both pretty straightforward to swap and set forward pressure.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I'd only go Duke PT 16 or CAST. Simply because I have a history of pre releasing out of tech toes, even the burly ones.

I'd love to just go that route. But getting the PT 16, new boots, new skis, on top of all the other avy gear and classes I need to get/take...is way too much money for me right now, nvm adding inserts to all my skis.

I don't plan on touring that much, they would mainly be for taking the avy classes, and backup if the resorts close because of virus

I'd find an old pair of dukes or barons before doing Daymakers.

I'd only go Duke PT 16 or CAST. Simply because I have a history of pre releasing out of tech toes, even the burly ones.

I'd love to just go that route. But getting the PT 16, new boots, new skis, on top of all the other avy gear and classes I need to get/take...is way too much money for me right now, nvm adding inserts to all my skis.

I don't plan on touring that much, they would mainly be for taking the avy classes, and backup if the resorts close because of virus

seems like you've already made up your mind

www.experiencedgear.net

What do the people who you go or are going to go touring with recommend/use?

Or put it another way... have you warned them that this will be your set up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

If you're planning on doing minimal sidecountry with minimal elevation gain, low exposure, and a nice skin track then Daymakers are fine. If you're planning on doing much more I'd either sack up and get the right gear or wait until you have the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Or put it another way... have you warned them that this will be your set up?
    Yep way to level set there!

If a buddy of mine said "let go touring, I just got some day makers" that tells me I'm looking at a short day of skiing

www.experiencedgear.net

My boy has them, and he's doing fine.

I tour with pin bindings, but many years ago i used securafixes and i remember 5,000 foot days, in of course, alpine ski boots. No issues.

I'm not advocating them, but they are not the end of the world, and but a bad way to start if budget is tight and you're not sure you'll like backcountry skiing.

And they are slow, but only by comparison.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'd find an old pair of dukes or barons before doing Daymakers.
    If going frame bindings, get Adrenalines

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The only reason to buy these is to realize you shouldn't. Despite people telling you not to.

Knock yourself out.
    This. So many of us have made this (or a similar) mistake before.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Ok boomers.

There are some people who go to side country to do flips off cliffs or to only build jumps and can't trust a tech binding. There are also some people who tour rarely, like a few times a year, and this option is a good way into the BC for cheap. And these people maybe do 1000' on those days. Or they are for people who do sidecountry: have yer skins/daymakers in your pack while you ski the first few hours in bound, then yoyo a few small sidecountry hits. . No need to ski down to the car and switch skis/boots.

Everyone (should) know these are not for 5000' BC days and the designers didn't make them for that purpose either.

They are just one affordable option for a small minority of skiers and not on this board.

Any reviews on Daymaker touring setup?

Ok millennial (I’m only 41 btw and not a boomer but my parents are)… Well in reference to the most recent poster asking in this thread… I ski in the exact same location and that’s not really how it works around here just in terms of exit gates, terrain etc. I mean fuck it then, go with CAST.

I know a couple people who have them. They tour a few times a year.. before the resort opens and once the resort closes. Rarely do multiple laps, but a single lap is 2000’+. They both want to upgrade to CAST when feasible (money, multiple pivot heels, boots w tech toe that have alpine soles, etc.)

They’re not the worst things out there. If I’m touring a few times in the preseason/postseason I’d much rather have them than a frame binding.. all frame bindings have their flaws whether it’s weight, stack height, lack of flex, etc. Frame bindings have ruined skis for me.

I have heard the Duke PT is not that great and has its own set of problems like the Shift, but I have used neither Shift or Duke PT. YMMV

I do have CAST and love them. They can be pricey if you don’t yet have metal toe pivots or boots w tech toe. I think CAST is worth it. Get the free tour kit, buy metal toe pivots if you don’t have any, and just upgrade your boot through CAST if you can’t afford new boots or have a boot that you absolutely love.

P.S. TahoeJ.. after a quick google search millennials are born ‘81 and after.. easy tossing around the M word if you’re only a year apart

How'd frame bindings ruin skis for you?
    In my experience, I'd way rather have frame bindings for sidecountry. But stack height never bothered me. Lack of flex a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post
    P.S. TahoeJ.. after a quick google search millennials are born ‘81 and after.. easy tossing around the M word if you’re only a year apart
    Did you miss the post I was responding to in which I was called a boomer? I don't really toss around generational-related BS in general.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post

I have heard the Duke PT is not that great and has its own set of problems like the Shift, but I have used neither Shift or Duke PT. YMMV
    I have heard otherwise on the Duke PT, but admittedly I've heard barely anything. It seems strong and burly, albeit heavy, and the reviews I've seem have stated that.

I haven't seen any long term stuff though, what have you guy heard?