Partial Toenail Removal?

I searched and it looks like it's been awhile since we had a good toenail thread so...
    Have had some increasingly worse toenail issues the last few years. Mostly bothersome when skiing but also notice sometimes during other activities (ie climbing, running). More or less normal just hanging around. Don't think they're necc ingrown. Saw a doc last year and he mentioned slicing off a sliver of toenail on one side or the other (but not both) and cauterizing it so it wouldn't grow back. Would/could relieve some of the irriation/tenderness when in boots all day. I balked at it last year but am pondering doing it again. procedure sounds simple enough aside from risk of infection for a bit.
    Anyone ever get this done and if so, how'd it work out. I think i'm opposed to a complete toenail removal for now. I'll spare ya'll with pics.

Do the whole nail, have a podiatrist do it permanently. I’ve done both sides. One of the best choices I ever made.

Dang, I may do this.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Mrs Jong had that done to one of her toes, and had it coterized not to grow back by a podiatrist. Two years later it grew back anyway with the same problems, but now the deductible is way to high to consider non emergency, absolute necessity shit. Ain't 'Murika Great??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!