Japan Airlines baggage policy for skis?

Traveling to Japan on JAL this winter. It looks like they don’t make any allowances for checking skis. There is a $200 fee to check a bag that is greater than 203cm overall dimension, which pretty much includes any roller bag. If anyone has travelled on JAL with skis can you confirm that this is true? Thanks.

travelled JAL several times with an armada double ski bag that fits my 191 on3ps. its the biggest ski bag I could find at the time to fit those skis. its definitely over that 203cm limit however I've never had an issue

Anyone have an update on JAL ski bag policy?

Charge $200 each way or no?

Never been charged myself on JAL or ANA.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Anyone have an update on JAL ski bag policy?

Charge $200 each way or no?
    When I searched on this late last year, before our Jan trip to Japan, everything I found said yes - JAL does impose that $200 charge. I remember finding a lot of info on Australian ski forum.

We flew Singapore Air between US and Japan. No ski bag surcharge, it was counted as one of your checked luggage pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Flown JAL and ANA. ANA domestic did not charge me anything for bags, and I had 3 bags. 2 were 50lbs, one was 65lbs. That was Haneda to Sapporo.

I flew JAL from the US to Narita and from Haneda back to the US. I did not get charged anything even though I should have been charged a $100 overweight fee.

Here's the key: Your JAL flight has to be booked as a codeshare with American Airlines or whatever other airline. They will honor the codeshared airline's baggage policy. If you just booked JAL directly, decent chance they might impose that baggage fee. So if you want to fly JAL (recommended, best seats and food I've found on any long haul flight), book through American Airlines or any of the other One World partners who have a ski baggage policy.

I've also found the Japanese check-in staff really do not like to cause confrontation or unhappiness, so if you are polite and patient with them, they will kindly take care of you and, in my case, waive the overweight baggage fee I should've been charged.

we didn't have extra charges to get to Tokyo or home (i think we flew ANA but through an american carrier as dongy mentions). Be careful when you fly domestically in Japan, pre-pay for luggage in both directions. Our baggage fees for the return to Tokyo from Hokkaido was obscene, i screwed up and only pre-paid baggage to Hokkaido, it was ~ $300 for baggage on the return.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Thanks a lot for the info!