Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have a 3 hour midday layover in LAX coming up, will have 2 kids in tow. Anyone got suggestions for where to eat and park it during that time? Will be connecting on Delta, so I think that's "Terminal 2"?
    Why are you flying west to fly east? And where'd you suddenly get another kid. Or are you calling your wife a kid these days.

Without reading back on this thread, does anyone have insight on TSA precheck vs. Global Entry?

Italy trip this fall and wondering what might make passport checks go easier or smoother.

Another option we see is the Mobile Passport Control app from USA gov.

Hoping current travel problems are sorted by Sept/Oct, but looking at anything to speed up transfers.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Global Entry works to get back into the US faster from abroad and includes Pre Check. It’s also a couple of years longer iirc. Worth the extra time and money if you can swing it.

As mentioned Global entry includes precheck.
    Worth it if you have the time to get it.

Not sure about other airports, but mobile passport app saves a TON of time at JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Global Entry works to get back into the US faster from abroad and includes Pre Check. It’s also a couple of years longer iirc. Worth the extra time and money if you can swing it.
    This, but I think both are for 5 years. Precheck interviews are more widely available (smaller airports), Global Entry interviews are usually at larger airports. We had to do GE interviews on arrival on a return trip from overseas, in LAX.

Many travel oriented credit cards include reimbursement for one GE or Precheck application every 4-5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks all, looks like Global Entry is the way if we can get an interview. We do return via JFK and hope to travel more in the coming years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

fwiw, have global entry, dont travel out of the country much, but when I have am usually traveling with family that do not have G E. Have used the new "CBP Mobile Passport Control" app this past week (and its predecessor mobile passport app previously) and each time it has been as fast as the GE lane, this is at both seattle and JFK. I have had instances traveling solo, where the GE line has been slower than the mobile passport lane. Definately recommend having the CBP MPC app .

I flew out of Reno. The line for precheck was longer so I went through the regular line. The TSA officer was pissed I was in the wrong line. Not sure why.

I tried doing the mobile passport app a few years ago but it was too glitchy then. Probably works better now. Last time I reentered the US--can't remember which airport, maybe SFO, I just scanned my passport (I have GE) at a kiosk and never had to show my passport to a human. There was no line at the kiosk. So I'm not sure what the mobile app would have done for me--maybe it would have been more useful at a different airport without the kiosk. You still have to carry a paper passport when you leave the country.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I flew out of Reno. The line for precheck was longer so I went through the regular line. The TSA officer was pissed I was in the wrong line. Not sure why.

I tried doing the mobile passport app a few years ago but it was too glitchy then. Probably works better now. Last time I reentered the US--can't remember which airport, maybe SFO, I just scanned my passport (I have GE) at a kiosk and never had to show my passport to a human. There was no line at the kiosk. So I'm not sure what the mobile app would have done for me--maybe it would have been more useful at a different airport without the kiosk. You still have to carry a paper passport when you leave the country.
    i believe the mobile app and the kiosk accomplish the same, end result is a barcode you show as you leave. mobil app means you do it as the plane is taxiing to gate and avoid needing a kiosk, if they are backed up. So quicker if there are lines waiting for a kiosk. Also have seen (at JFK) there is a seperate line for app users.

We do Nexus and had to interview near the border. It's worth it imo for the fast pass driving as well as returning on an international flight and tsa precheck. Your mileage may very. We are currently in Europe and I know I'll appreciate cruising through customs when we are uber jet lagged. It's worth it if you travel a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    We do Nexus and had to interview near the border. It's worth it imo for the fast pass driving as well as returning on an international flight and tsa precheck. Your mileage may very. We are currently in Europe and I know I'll appreciate cruising through customs when we are uber jet lagged. It's worth it if you travel a bit.
    Say hi to Jeanette at das Alpenblick in Murren.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Say hi to Jeanette at das Alpenblick in Murren.
    Will do, heading for some hiking there on Saturday. Been spying on that perch for a few days now, she was looking good today. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220623_092512.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	419680

Just here to say that clear is fabulous. It's like those fancy lift tix that allow you to skip the queue at the lift and just get on up front.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Thanks all, looks like Global Entry is the way if we can get an interview. We do return via JFK and hope to travel more in the coming years.
    FYI - for GE renewals, you can essentially do your renewal 'interview" at any US customs desk when you reenter the country at most airports, called "Enrollment on Arrival." Just fill out the renewal paperwork online, and as long as you're conditionally approved, you can do a quick "interview" with a customs agent when you come back into the country. Very easy, and saved me a day's travel to/from DIA to do it in-person at a Customs office.

What is Enrollment on Arrival? Global Entry applicants who are conditionally-approved can complete their interviews, the last step of the Global Entry process, while they are clearing through United States Customs and Border Protection or Pre-Clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    No an expert but the last time time I flew a dual Delta KLM round trip to France I got royally fucked on the return leg (operated by KLM) because of the KLM luggage policy. Ski bags were covered on the Delta-operated flight but cost me an arm and a leg on the return KLM flights (very close to the $300 difference you mention actually).
    I don't think it matters who you book from, what you want to pay attention to is who is operating the flights. If it's Delta you get all the perks, if it's KLM you could get screwed.

Old bump, but baggage policy is very nuanced for code share international travel and most reps/gate agents don't understand the rules. Ultimately, there are international rules that dictate whose baggage policy is the "umbrella" policy for your itinerary. It's not dictated by individual code share carriers or the legs of your itinerary, but rather the "most significant carrier." It's pretty useful to understand this for codeshare travel and intl mileage awards.

All explained here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...ine.Trips.html

Or in full-depth, here: https://www.iata.org/contentassets/e...-interline.pdf

We found this out the hard way, flying our mountain bikes in hard cases back from Norway in 2014. We had separate, one-way milage tickets for each direction and flew home on SAS/Lufthansa/United from Oslo-Frankfurt-Houston-Denver. In Houston the [always terrible] United staff forced me to pay hundreds to get the bike cases on the plane, despite me arguing and showing them that Lufthansa's baggage policy dictated our whole itinerary. I eventually got the baggage fees refunded by copy/pasting united's own well-hidden baggage minutiae, from their website, to their own rep...

When I renewed my Global Entry I did not have to do an interview. I believe the application says you "may" have to do an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    When I renewed my Global Entry I did not have to do an interview. I believe the application says you "may" have to do an interview.
    Nexus is yudge for Canada and if you have applied for renewal and have not been able to interview b/c of covid it will still work if expired as long as your app is being processed. That said YUL and YYZ are a nightmare right now and Air Canada may as well be Keystone Cops Airways. Everywhere in North america was bad last week but they were exceptional.

My theory is those jackasses did not hedge their oil properly and cannot afford to fuel the planes. It ain't weather/staffing.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Nexus is just for Canada and Mexico.

If you travel internationally at all, GE is better than Pre-check.

Funny story about Clear...it's been around for a while but the first group went bankrupt. Had a TSA manager that jumped ship to work for Clear and his recruitment budget to bring on hot women was basically unlimited. He worked out of Boston and would regularly drop $2,000 per night on 2-3 recruits. I knew that wouldn't last. Good thing his night job paid...

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Nexus is just for Canada and Mexico.

If you travel internationally at all, GE is better than Pre-check.

Funny story about Clear...it's been around for a while but the first group went bankrupt. Had a TSA manager that jumped ship to work for Clear and his recruitment budget to bring on hot women was basically unlimited. He worked out of Boston and would regularly drop $2,000 per night on 2-3 recruits. I knew that wouldn't last. Good thing his night job paid...
    Nexus includes global entry from all countries. I've used it a few times now. Fast lane pass for driving to Canada/Mexico.
    Last edited by Yonder_River; 06-24-2022 at 08:40 AM.

The other day Clear had a line just as long as Prechek at DEN
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

A big fuck you to Medallion members from Delta this morning via email, re: lounge access.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    A big fuck you to Medallion members from Delta this morning via email, re: lounge access.
    Yeah, that's a big middle finger for those of us flying international.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    FYI - for GE renewals, you can essentially do your renewal 'interview" at any US customs desk when you reenter the country at most airports, called "Enrollment on Arrival." Just fill out the renewal paperwork online, and as long as you're conditionally approved, you can do a quick "interview" with a customs agent when you come back into the country. Very easy, and saved me a day's travel to/from DIA to do it in-person at a Customs office.

Old bump, but baggage policy is very nuanced for code share international travel and most reps/gate agents don't understand the rules. Ultimately, there are international rules that dictate whose baggage policy is the "umbrella" policy for your itinerary. It's not dictated by individual code share carriers or the legs of your itinerary, but rather the "most significant carrier." It's pretty useful to understand this for codeshare travel and intl mileage awards.

All explained here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...ine.Trips.html

Or in full-depth, here: https://www.iata.org/contentassets/e...-interline.pdf

We found this out the hard way, flying our mountain bikes in hard cases back from Norway in 2014. We had separate, one-way milage tickets for each direction and flew home on SAS/Lufthansa/United from Oslo-Frankfurt-Houston-Denver. In Houston the [always terrible] United staff forced me to pay hundreds to get the bike cases on the plane, despite me arguing and showing them that Lufthansa's baggage policy dictated our whole itinerary. I eventually got the baggage fees refunded by copy/pasting united's own well-hidden baggage minutiae, from their website, to their own rep...
    You seem to know United (star) reciprocals pretty well. Question for you. I'm United 1K and will be flying Air Canada in Jan domestically (YYZ to YYC). Does Star Alliance Gold get me waived bag fees for checking skis?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    You seem to know United (star) reciprocals pretty well. Question for you. I'm United 1K and will be flying Air Canada in Jan domestically (YYZ to YYC). Does Star Alliance Gold get me waived bag fees for checking skis?
    As a 1K you qualify for Star Alliance Gold which gives you 1 free checked bag up to 70lbs. You also should get some status recognition and benefits between 1K United and Air Canada: access to the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges, additional baggage allowance, priority boarding (Zone 2), security and check-in.

Best bet would be to call Air Canada and confirm, but you should be good to go. Big picture, they're moving towards more teamwork and cross-platform benefits: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301591571.html

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Amex Plat is ending guest access to the centurion lounges starting in February too...probably cancelling my platinum at next renewal as benefits are getting harder for me to use and price has gone way up. I usually only really use those lounges when travelling with my wife as my solo itineraries either don't have enough time for it to be worth it or go to airports with no lounges (hello ORD).

United club at Denver airport was also closed to guest passes last weekend. Admittedly, both the Amex and United lounges I have been to within the last year or two are always SUPER busy so not surprising. Denver Amex lounge was standing room only at 6PM on Saturday.

They also bumped premiere qualifications up. I've been enjoying coasting by on Silver despite not travelling that much (and having to split my flying between United and Delta), but I'm not sure I'll be able to maintain it with the new requirements. Will probably depend if I end up with some work trips with $$$ tickets.

I just barely made United Gold for next year. I'll make Silver next round by no way I make Gold again with the high requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.