RIP Jon McMurray

The dude from the early MSP movies who would jump off roofs into bushes along with Rory Bushfield has died. He had swapped skiing for music a while back, most notably a rap group called the Loose Cannon Playaz, but still kept in touch with the skiing community and remained a ripper. I guess he was wingwalking for a music video when the plane went out of control, and he tried to hang on but held on too long before falling off and couldnt open his chute in time. RIP.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/23/world...rnd/index.html

Was Bushfield the pilot? That guy has see some tragedy, man.

Quote Originally Posted by core2 View Post
    Was Bushfield the pilot? That guy has see some tragedy, man.
    damn, i didnt even put that together. I really hope not.

SIP. Dude was super creative on skis and in life in general.

In the Canadian media it was reported that Bush field was the pilot. He was interviewed as well. Pretty tragic for all involved.

I thought those were the later movies?

He was one hell of a skier. RIP.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    In the Canadian media it was reported that Bush field was the pilot. He was interviewed as well. Pretty tragic for all involved.
    Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I thought those were the later movies?

He was one hell of a skier. RIP.
    Ski Movie 3/Focused era stuff IIRC. These days I think that counts as "early."

His public persona was pretty douchey, but it's still sad to hear he's dead. He was definitely an incredible athlete.

Jon posted this video with Rory just a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    The dude from the early MSP movies who would jump off roofs into bushes along with Rory Bushfield has died. He had swapped skiing for music a while back, most notably a rap group called the Loose Cannon Playaz, but still kept in touch with the skiing community and remained a ripper. I guess he was wingwalking for a music video when the plane went out of control, and he tried to hang on but held on too long before falling off and couldnt open his chute in time. RIP.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/23/world...rnd/index.html
    His ski film company was Loose Canon Playaz, he had different rap names over the years.
    I've known Jon since he was 5 years old. I mounted all his skis when he was in Calgary, got him and his brother their first sponsorships with Rossi then Dynastar. As far as I'm concerned he was robbed at various X-games because the judges wanted to see spins and he was more comfortable upside down and flipping. We've had a few FB PM's in the last decade and he was always so pumped.
    I wish he'd stayed in skiing but man he used to wreck himself.

This whole thing sucks for the family and Rory I'm sure.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Sad and all, but tragic? the guy was wing walking on a flying plane. I mean come'on, really.

Is there a more dangerous thing to do? And for a shitty rap video?

Just glad he didn't have kids.

Sad though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

RIP Jon McMurray

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BUiviipMF-w

I always think of the line -

“Because there’s passion in this life and that’s somethin you ain’t got”

When I meet certain people.

Have passion. Live life. Don’t climb on the wing of a plane. RIP Jon

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Sad and all, but tragic? the guy was wing walking on a flying plane. I mean come'on, really.

Is there a more dangerous thing to do? And for a shitty rap video?

Just glad he didn't have kids.

Sad though.

Just listened to the music. Good Lord, that sucked. No wonder he had to go to, sorry, such, ahem, extremes to mask it's suckiness.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Is there a more dangerous thing to do? .

Sad though.

Wingsuit flying, skibase, and regular basejumping are some other things that are more dangerous because you don't have time to open an emergency chute or correct a mistake. From the articles ive seen, the issue was that when the plane suddenly started diving out of control he held on too long to the plane so didnt have time to open his chute, instead of aborting immediately. If it had all gone to plan sounds like he would have jumped off and essentially just be skydiving. But i wasnt there, and i dont actually know the specifics of the stunt or what actually happened. just saying that it doesnt sound like he had a deathwish or did the stunt without much care for his life. Lots of us do "stunts" that other folks look at and thing we have a deathwish.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just listened to the music. Good Lord, that sucked. No wonder he had to go to, sorry, such, ahem, extremes to mask it's suckiness.
    i dont think he made it for crotchety whiny old men
    who have problems successfully offloading a chairlift
    let alone defying deaths
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

You listen to that shit, hippy?

Oh, wait, of course you do. That's where you go to learn your "poetry".

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    nah #targetaudiancemissed
    im more off a bukowski/rollins spoken word with a roots instrumental soundtrack guy

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I looked back at the articles and either it changed or I read it wrong. It doesn't say that Rory was the pilot, I don't want to spread that as a rumour.
    Last edited by weibo; 10-26-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Whether his music was good or bad or whether he was not in control of his stunts are not for us to judge ( maybe the music but I am old ) the facts are that he was a hell of an athlete and fellow brother in skiing who has perished doing something he loved. Let's try to be somewhat respectful for the young man. Try it sometimes BENNY!
    RIP
    always forward but never straight

De mortuis nil nisi bonum...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Rip-Jon. He was an Incredible athlete and Super talented in more things than just skiing. One of only a few to have the balls to chase a dream to LA and try a go at rapping! We will miss you man!

I remember a time I was in Whistler and MSP was filming Candid on a whale tail rail in the advanced park and Jon just showed up,we were both standing there, it wasnt a closed session. MSP had the rail all set up to film with cables and wanted to capture the progression of the sport. I was contemplating to hit this rail as the characteristics of the rail were punishing. Jon just said f” it and hit the rail. Within a couple beat downs he figured it out and used the weird throw back of the rail to momentum himself into a rail slide to backflip, Know body at that time had ever seen that done before on skis. Suddenly All cameras were on him. Stomp! Who was this kid they were thinking! A star was born!
    Last edited by teamdirt; 10-25-2018 at 09:57 PM.