Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Can anyone really be a ski bum anymore?

I'm feeling old and salty and worried about the future of skids. Like, where can anyone actually afford to live in the mountains anymore? And are the mega resort conglomorates gonna kill skiing? Someone give me hope! Who is still doing it for real?

Looks like the skids are keeping busy.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

With the advent of light touring gear... yes
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Work 40 yrs. Retire in a ski town. Works for me.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Non-“ski towns” like Grand Junction, Reno, Wenatchee, Sisters, etc. Look in places like that - they’re there.

Or get a hippie van and rubber tramp it

full hippie = rubber tramp and fishscale skis on forest service roads

ETA: rubber tramping inspiration

RIP Tone.

or don't be a bum. be a pro.

get up, ski, go to work. excel at both.

My daughter just graduated from The University of Miami. She turned down a good job in Manhattan to ski bum in the Wasatch. I think that the longer you wait, the less likely it will happen
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Two words:

OGDEN, UTAH

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I think that the longer you wait, the less likely it will happen
    If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do.

Seriously, tramping after college is a good thing -- and so is pausing a career and tramping from time to time. I've been through the cycle three times so far. I tramped after college, then worked a career for awhile, then dropped out for a couple years, followed by more education for a second career. After 8 years of the second career, I dropped out again and went flat broke. Then I realized I needed to get retirement money together and restarted my second career, worked it hard, banked some bread and tapered to part time (where I am now). We're on target to start tramping again in a few years, this time for good. Life is too short sit your ass in one place.

The above doesn't work so well if you have kids.

I was basically ski bummin' it from 2004-2009. Back East to kick start my career 2009-2013. I own my house with a reasonable mortgage in a ski town now, and I work from home at my career-type job. I can ratchet back my work schedule to work for the resort in my former ski bum capacity at any time and keep the bills paid because the mortgage isn't bad. It's nice to have the desk job income for now, though. Kids in daycare are more than my mortgage.

I'm not sure that my career path is quite as easy to follow now because of the state of the local real estate market, but it could still be done.

Yeah, just make sure you have a trust fund back East.

Juneau, AK?

Terrace, BC?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

how much hustling can you do and still qualify as a "ski bum"?

Those talking about 15-20 years ago in a mountain town and getting property after saving or working for 40 years and then retiring or whatever ain't ski bumming, or at least not like I think the op is talking about.

Sure, you guys are killing it but I'm 99% sure the op means "ski bum" as in having nothing except for everything........ careless youth and complete freedom from any of life's regular responsibilities. Having nothing to do or worry about other than how to get after today's powder day and finding a cheap good buzz at the end of the day has been, in my experience the best days of my life.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    how much hustling can you do and still qualify as a "ski bum"?
    Totally. Try to create a life as in home ownership, some savings, a family etc. in a town like Jackson without any form of family support and see how much time you'll get skiing! Ha!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Can anyone really be a ski bum anymore?

OP... We're all dentists here, if you are looking for someone with real time beta, you may have to broaden your search.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    maybe try and get in touch with hugh.
    Or pm rontele

Oh yeah, it can certainly be done if you work in the industry. Even with kids.
    Race coached 3 years, been patrolling for 38.
    Wife home schooled ours and 4 others in the LCC, winters only, for no money really. Public school downtown fall and spring. Priceless experience.
    Lived in employee housing, used cloth diapers, bought clothes at the thrift store, never went out to eat, the bar, movies, concerts, etc.
    Bought a rental property early.
    Only worked for someone else 12 off seasons.
    Traveled and played most others, 12 of them when the kids were 4-16. Best years of my life. No regrets.
    So, yeah, it can be done by being frugal (not cheap), and with obvious sacrifice!
    Highly recommend this lifestyle for folks that want to raise their own kids in an incredible environment.
    Really psyched at the results of our "experiment".
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

I have plenty of friends that do it. Best way IMO if you're single is do fire all summer and ski all winter.

I'm married and have a desk job but I've still skied 60+ days a year every season since high school.

The L man said to me on ski day " we live too well to be ski bums ... we are skiing Gentlemen "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    sounds cold and dirty surrounded by other stinky dudes doesn’t sound like my idea of the best days of my life but ymwv.
    Well.....there was that part I guess
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Those talking about 15-20 years ago in a mountain town and getting property after saving or working for 40 years and then retiring or whatever ain't ski bumming, or at least not like I think the op is talking about.

Sure, you guys are killing it but I'm 99% sure the op means "ski bum" as in having nothing except for everything........ careless youth and complete freedom from any of life's regular responsibilities. Having nothing to do or worry about other than how to get after today's powder day and finding a cheap good buzz at the end of the day has been, in my experience the best days of my life.
    Well said.

^^^ x2,

To a youth well spent and a lifestyle that is highly endangered if not totally extinct. By comparison the era of the Cowboy was only about 15 years.

The golden age was from maybe 1950 to about 2000. I had a Aunt (RIP) that moved to Sun Valley in the late 50s for 2 seasons. I began my career in 1983 and lasted until about 2000 when I sold out to become management.

Still practiced in small pockets but not nearly as widespread an infection as it once was. Killed by Real Estate development, gentrification and corporatism. (RIPx2)