Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Can anyone really be a ski bum anymore?

Are ski town all stars ski bums?

Also, things change as the wheel in sky keeps on turning. Maybe the ski bum has just morphed into what is being described on here. I have a buddy that runs a successful land scraping business, has a beautiful family and skis his ass off every winter since he set things up so he can basically take the winter mostly off to ski here and travel. The guy even takes like 5 or so weeks in the winter to travel to snowier locals with the whole family in tow. He's a ski bum for sure and even though the cost of living here isn't exactly cheap it sure isn't an Aspen, Telluride or Jackson.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

did the ski bum thing it was fucking awesome would love to go back and keep on keeping on
    crashed lots of places, tents, and scored a few different cabins for free in my day
    worked late afternoons and evenings, drank and ate for free all over town, made good money
    skied and rode a bike

ski bumming is all about the art of the hook up, nothing more

the reason ski bums don't exist anymore is because the hook ups are drying up
    the other reason is every fuck face young old rich poor is looking for the hook up,
    so it gets really old when every doosh who got here last week thinks they are pro and need the bro deal

these days everyone is going to look at you jaded and it'll take some time before your shown the ropes and provided the hook up

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Are ski town all stars ski bums?
    hahaha!

Make a hat, make a life!

Here's the tl;dr

Ski Bum needs defined.

Definition:
    A) A skier who, lives near (or in) a traditional ski town, works minimally (or not at all) and skis primarily in the winter
    B) A skier who, travels to ski towns or areas, primarily in the winter and works minimally (or not at all)
    C) A skier who, lives in a large metro area nearby a ski area, who works minimally (or not at all) and skis primarily in the winter
    All of the above rely loosely on earned income per annual year.

You all missed the post of OGDEN, UTAH. You can literally live in a homeless shelter there, get some sick free ski equipment and take the bus to snowbasin. You could earn enough panhandling on 27th street for a few months to fund your entire winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Here's the tl;dr

Ski Bum needs defined.

Definition:
    A) A skier who, live near (or in) a traditional ski town, works minimally (or not at all) and skis primarily in the winter
    B) A skier who, lives or travels to ski, primarily in the winter and work minimally (or not at all)
    C) A skier who, lives in a large metro area nearby a ski area, who works minimally (or not at all) and skis primarily in the winter
    All of the above rely loosely on earned income per annual year.
    D) A lawyer who may have bummed decades ago will tell you it can be done.And post more than anyone to get the point across.
    You all missed the post of OGDEN, UTAH. You can literally live in a homeless shelter there, get some sick free ski equipment and take the bus to snowbasin. You could earn enough panhandling on 27th street for a few months to fund your entire winter!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

R
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    .Last edited by Djongo Unchained; Today at 09:50 PM. Reason: baked, tripping
    Lol. Classic.

Btw, did anyone else notice op join date 2007 and less than 10 posts?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Probably already said, but I'd guess that at least 1/2 of modern day ski bums are twenty-something trustafarians who are not in a rush to take on the toils of the daily grind.
    LOL as if that was not the case in the past 50 years? C'mon...get real.

"When I was a ski bum we had to ski uphill both ways, before they had these newfangled touring bindings and 'skins', mind you - and I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    LOL as if that was not the case in the past 50 years? C'mon...get real.

"When I was a ski bum we had to ski uphill both ways, before they had these newfangled touring bindings and 'skins', mind you - and I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'"
    Quoted for the truth and humor in the reality.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Baseline cost of living has gone way the fuck up... it’s part of the equation.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Baseline cost of living has gone way the fuck up... it’s part of the equation.
    inescapably true. as is the truth that most ski towns in the US are now highly desirable real estate, not a marginal left over resource town that nobody cares about so you can camp out in the parking lot for a winter or three. or buy a shack for a pittance because it aint' worth shit.

every time this theme comes up there are people who post how "ski bums are still out there, you just need to know where to look". And they never show, so I think the existence of the pure "ski bum" is a bit of ski town religion. If you think there are still ski bum's there it's not a town whored out to developers and paved over. So they've got to exist. And a few do, but fewer than claimed. if your spouse pays the bills you aren't a bum.
    Last edited by dunfree ; 10-25-2018 at 12:31 AM.

I didn't read the thread. Sorry

I live in an area with hot real estate, incredible skiing is right down the road from me both ways. The average shitty room is ~$500 a month, I pay $200 for a space that is the size of 2 rooms. I drink for free. I haven't bought groceries since July. I could get hookups for passes if I wanted to. I trade for any ski tuning/mounts I want.

Life goes on. I spent time getting to where I'm at but it's not beyond someone that wants it. I'm leaving this hip mountain town because I'm sick of the grind to get by. I can drink and have fun for another 10 years but I'll be about where I am right now when I'm finished.

This is from out Front Porch Forum, seems kinda bummy to me. I remembered reading it and searched for it today.
    I thought about having a chick camping in my yard for two minutes, should I have asked for pics?

Mad River Valley – No. 2604 • Helen Batchan • lenabatchan@gmail.com • Main, Warren
    Oct 8, 2018
    Housing and real estate
    Hello,

I am 27yo female who is going to be working as a ski lift operator starting Nov 6 and I am seeking housing as close to Sugarbush as possible because I don't have a car. I am on a very tight budget and can't pay more than $300, at least not on Nov 1. I am very outdoorsy and have a lot of experience with wilderness and camping and would be super interested in winter camping for at least part or all of the winter anyway, and if that price is one you would be willing to let me pitch a tent in your yard for for a while, that would be awesome! I might need access to a shower, or maybe I can work it out at Sugarbush so that I can shower there. I would be leaving for work very early in the mornings and would be not in the way. In general I am a clean, quiet, responsible person who loves skiing and winter sports. Please reach out to me if you are within walking distance of Sugarbush. Thank you so much!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^^^ Poster child for ski-bumming.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Too bad camping is still illegal in Warren.

Is Allyn’s still left unlocked? She wouldn’t be the first to use that as early season lodging.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ you guys. This is my life, and you're all up talkin about it, hashing it out.

You're killing me softly, with this song.

So much to say. Maybe why I arrived here about a year ago. Searching for ski bums. Thank God Dibs picked up my message in the bottle.

Fresh outta school in 1990, All I knew was that I wanted to have fun. Moved To JH, made friends with the JHAF and have been quilting together a life of jobs, residences and living thriftily. Never cheaply. Ever since.

One of my lessons has been that it's all kinda relative. For all the good, equal bad. For all the awesome, Equally tragic... for pretty much everything. yin/yang.

I've skied miles of blower, can hit 60+ mph at will, ridden over 10,000 trams and will not blow you off on a POW day. If I took you on the best over the head , expert level run of your life, you would not be the first.

I consider myself one of the luckiest skiers here.

Now let's talk about sacrifices.

I will likely work until I die. Retirement? Not really in the cards.
    Homeownership? Not yet but maybe someday! .

I am that focused guy. Everything revolves around my skiing every morning in TV. Construction pays really well and my connections for steady employ,help keep my head above water.

I am not a dirtbag, nor a ski pro. I am a ski bum. I don't work for the skico. cuz I can't be under their thumb. We already antagonize each other enough.

I work hard, a lot, for 3 seasons; and spend 4 months on a honey moon of skiing each new winter in JH.

I'll be 53 in 2 days. Kinda stuck in the Hole now.
    happydayofbirfs
    my ski bum brother from another mother
    last was the 1st i dont think i skied a hundy
    but the bbi roadtrips and the interactions of the brotherhoods of the bum more than made up for it
    i got booted out of the house young did most of my livin in a car, couch surfin, only eating free bar food or mac n cheese n ramen bummery with a passion for sex drugs n rock n roll and a dream of skiing
    listened to mr millers voice for far to long yet long enough to have skillsets that may not allow for champagne wishes and caviar dreams but allow me to live the life i love and love the life i live

i think the consensus from https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...172100-Ski-Bum
    is its a state of mind
    i really dont care if you think my moniker or worthiness to be bestowed is valid
    CRJCARES

and he and the rest of the tribe that left too early smile down upon us bums as we sacrifice to suffice
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

happy bday, djongo!

Ski bums better be posting through a crusty desktop w/ the free internet at their local library.
    Uno mas

Where there is a will there is a way. If you are willing to do whatever it takes to ski a lot and are moderately intelligent and resourceful I'm sure it can still be done. The game has changed but the rules are the same.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Too bad camping is still illegal in Warren.

Is Allyn’s still left unlocked? She wouldn’t be the first to use that as early season lodging.
    Yeah that's on Lost, belongs to the National Forest Service as far as I know. Stop at Castle rocks always unlocked as well. Camping in a national forest off of Lincoln Gap, Stetson Hollow Road, and Austin Brook.
    There are even streams to wash up in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    This is from out Front Porch Forum, seems kinda bummy to me. I remembered reading it and searched for it today.
    I thought about having a chick camping in my yard for two minutes, should I have asked for pics?

Mad River Valley – No. 2604 • Helen Batchan • lenabatchan@gmail.com • Main, Warren
    Oct 8, 2018
    Housing and real estate
    Hello,

I am 27yo female who is going to be working as a ski lift operator starting Nov 6 and I am seeking housing as close to Sugarbush as possible because I don't have a car. I am on a very tight budget and can't pay more than $300, at least not on Nov 1. I am very outdoorsy and have a lot of experience with wilderness and camping and would be super interested in winter camping for at least part or all of the winter anyway, and if that price is one you would be willing to let me pitch a tent in your yard for for a while, that would be awesome! I might need access to a shower, or maybe I can work it out at Sugarbush so that I can shower there. I would be leaving for work very early in the mornings and would be not in the way. In general I am a clean, quiet, responsible person who loves skiing and winter sports. Please reach out to me if you are within walking distance of Sugarbush. Thank you so much!
    #lifegoals 🤦

Is it really necessary to bum these days?

I'm working regular hours in the office and easily ski 70 days a year. I know plenty of others who are doing the same. Just ski every weekend and take all your vacation on the mountain as well.

The fact that you have a decent job, makes it a lot easier to travel to new places too. Because you actually make money.

^^^ The point is who would want to work in an office? When I was young, I never had the opportunity to ski bum. I was all caught up in being "a master of the universe". College, graduate school, law school, judicial clerkship, private practice in Germany, private practice in NY/NJ. Then, one day when I was 48 years old and living in a macmansion in suburban NJ with high blood pressure, 15 extra pounds and the GERD, I said to myself "fuck this". I sold my practice, loaded up the truck and moved to Wasangeles. I quit the world as I knew it, and have not looked back since. It is possible to concentrate on skiing at age 50 and beyond. I like the way that I did it. I just missed out of hosing cougars, and you ski bunnies. That's ok. My wife is hot.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    ^^^ The point is who would want to work in an office? When I was young, I never had the opportunity to ski bum. I was all caught up in being "a master of the universe". College, graduate school, law school, judicial clerkship, private practice in Germany, private practice in NY/NJ. Then, one day when I was 48 years old and living in a macmansion in suburban NJ with high blood pressure, 15 extra pounds and the GERD, I said to myself "fuck this". I sold my practice, loaded up the truck and moved to Wasangeles. I quit the world as I knew it, and have not looked back since. It is possible to concentrate on skiing at age 50 and beyond. I like the way that I did it. I just missed out of hosing cougars, and you ski bunnies. That's ok. My wife is hot.

Well, that's a good point you have there. You don't actually need to work in an office. It's just what I do. You can still ski 70 days a year no matter what kind of normal work you do. And have a decent life with a house, kids etc. For me, I always loved computers and programming, so I work in the office with what was my second hobby apart from skiing. So it doesn't feel too bad. But that wasn't the point. My question is rather, is it really necessary to bum it?

^^^ I was just busing your balls with my story. Sounds like you have it good. KUDOS!
    Bumming is a way of life, though. I love the "stick it to the man" attitude. Right now, I am so happy that my daughter chose to ski bum in Park City, rather than dive in to Manhattan. She has a job instructing at The Can. and living in a small apartment. There will be plenty of time for that other stuff