Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
I never labeled myself as a ski bum though looking back now I definitely pulled it off here and there. Ill Advised did a nice job verbalizing it, I can picture myself in many of the scenarios he described. I worked my ass off in the summer so I could ski all winter. When I decided to scale back on the summer gig it evolved into typical winter ski jobs-night janitor, snowmaker, cat operator, sandwich artist, lift op, ski patrol. Yep did them all, all had their perks, all had their suck. Spent more seasons in more places then most. Nomadic for many many years, chase the snow all winter, head back to the water for the summer.

For me my bumming adventure began without me even realizing it at the time, and all you old timers around here got to be a part of it. Back in the Powmag days when I was just trying to survive the winter in my truck. Looking back on things the tranny going out in my truck that season was the best thing that could have happened. Sucked all my savings and led me to the forum for advice and help. Total group of strangers came together in a really fucking cool way. I got to ski the mountain west for 3 months straight with no money and no job.

The first month I connected with a dozen or so mags. strangers that housed/fed/ and took me skiing, never asking for anything in return. Some mags just up and sent me gas money, total strangers, to random post offices in randon towns, just to keep me moving along. All just happy to be a part of one man’s journey. Even while it was happening I realized it was special. Now nearly 20 years later I can say without a doubt it means more to me now then it did then. That season was the first Summit (or whatever you guys call them now), 50 or so mags showed up in SLC. Splat got a little blurb in that issue of Powder about us. (I still have a copy somewhere). You want to assemble a crew of ski bums, question if they still exist, or if it is even possible, then look no further then this board right here. I have skied with many of you, sublet houses from you, jumped of rocks with you, logged 100 day seasons with you, had beers, swapped stories, passed on gear to those in need, etc. We all got the ski bum in us, some are active, some retired. As for me, I have been taking a little break. Three kids does that to you, I am 5 years away from getting lost in the mountains permanently but I’m loving every minute of right now and wouldn’t trade it for the world. See you bums on the hill. EZ
It warms the cockles of my heart. It's not so much a passion for powder days, but a way of seeing the world and putting your priorities ahead of what mainstream society tries to dictate. I don't know why sliding down a hill can turn into a lifestyle and a religion that drives the heart and mind for more, but I'm glad the bug bit me at an early age and it never gets old. Take a break, if need be...it's an addiction and the only remedy is more days on the hill. Maggots are the best kind of people on the planet. Aloha to all