Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: winter ski camp

Question winter ski camp

Hi all,

I don't post here much but I thought I would ask this group a question? (I've read enough posts here over the years to fully expect a "search JONG" headed my way...but I did search and I'm still asking.

Is/are there adult winter expert ski camps located near me? (I'm in Spokane WA) Almost anywhere on the west coast with the right terrain will work since I'm willing to travel...except Canada. (1 misdemeanor 25 years ago and they won't let me in...their loss)

What I mean is this...I'm an advanced "charger" of a skier. But I've never gone backcountry (recently moved here from the east coast) and I'm very much looking to push myself and get better. I've hiked/skied, Beartooth pass in Wyoming in the summer and I've hit very difficult terrain at places like jackson, snowbird and Wolf Creek. But I know there's so much more to being a great skier than just saying you've skied places like that.

So I'm looking for a multi-day (or even single day I can re-visit) "camp" or "instruction" or a course designed to help me navigate and survive the most challenging terrain. ie: steeps, couloirs, cliffs, tight trees etc.

Yes, I'm that weirdo the dreams of one day skiing pillow-lines and hucking 20 footers. I want to ski spines in AK and tackle the tough lines. But I also want to survive while doing it.
    I'm 43 and set a goal to make it to AK to ski spines and cliffs by the time I'm 46.

I'll be taking my AVY I course this winter (mid to late season) And that's the first step, but there's so much more to learn/think about...line choice, body position for steeps, technical chutes, how to land cliffs.
    I know I'll never be selected for any freeride world tour event...but being in a zone like that and knowing how to charge that type of terrain effectively is my goal.
    Is there a program you know of that would help me achieve this? Is there a "point in the right direction" I haven't found or haven't thought of?

Things I already found...
    - Jackson's "steep & Deep camp"
    -American Alpine Institute - Extreme ski course
    -Kim's ski camp at Alta
    -And also thought about going with a guide for several days at Silverton Mountain CO
    -I think there's an expert camp at Big Sky but I forget what its called.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

19BBi @ Alpental, Feb 14-15-16

winter ski camp

Move out of Spokane to JH, Bozeman, Salt Lake etc. Ski every day all winter at the resorts around those places. Hike and ski all the gnar as much as possible. Maybe do a camp while there a couple times to help with technique.
    We don’t have the terrain here locally to get you where you want to be in 3 years, esp if you aren’t close to that ability by now and no 1 week camp is going to get you there.
    Also what Norse said. Some dudes there will put you in pucker terrain.

Funkmassa is right, though it's not what you want to hear perhaps... a one week camp isn't going to make much of a dent.

You must spend time in the terrain you wish to master. Watch others carefully, see who is skiing both fast and smooth, observe their technique with various turn shapes, emulate till it clicks.

Are you fit? How's your balance? Work on those at home.

I was serious about the Alpy invite. Come out a few times this winter and I guarantee that you'll learn more and have more fun than the dweebs at ski camp. And save some money.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-10-23_08-12-26.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	252188

JONG.

In Spokane? Ski Red/Rossland.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

winter ski camp

Go ski these type lines as often as possible.

Name:	Image1540311829.169692.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	252193
    Headwaters at BS.
    Learn to ski them fast and fluid. A lot of people I hear say they “charge” back out of these lines once standing on top looking in. Charging 30deg pow and charging what’s in that pic are two very different things. Maybe you’re not one of them, cool.
    Short steep lines will not set you up for steep, think 50deg of 1500 vert straight to the bottom.
    Edit: goddamn picture manager

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    In Spokane? Ski Red/Rossland.
    OP can't do Canada, eh?

I believe you guys...a one week camp isn't going to get me there. I didn't think it would. I was hoping the camp can get me the info i need to get to the next level on my own. Basically a jumping off point with ideas I hadn't thought of yet or somehow missed.

As for my fitness...I could be better...but I started hiking mountains this summer and haven't stopped (about 1 new peak per week), joined a gym and I do cardio as well. I'm losing weight steadily and gaining agility.

As for moving...that's not gonna happen. But..I have no problem driving 5+ hours to get what I want every week and have season passes to both Schweitzer and Lookout Pass for the other days I'm not chasing storms. Whitefish, Montana Snowbowl, Bridger, and Alpental are on my storm chasing radar. I really put a lot of thought into Spokane...It's well centered between 4 ranges and I have my choice of snow type, density and terrain all within my drive-time radius. The SUV has 4 new tires and I've got a 0 degree sleeping bag. What more could a guy want? :eyeroll

Norseman....Thanks for the Alpy invite...I'm going to take you up on it.

I’m local so if you want to ski this winter hit me up. I’m mainly at silver but hit Schweitzer a bunch.
    Definitely do BBI.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I’m local so if you want to ski this winter hit me up. I’m mainly at silver but hit Schweitzer a bunch.
    Definitely do BBI.
    Will do... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    OP can't do Canada, eh?
    black text on blue background...can still apply for a visa

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Go ski these type lines as often as possible.

Name:	Image1540311829.169692.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	252193
    Headwaters at BS.
    Learn to ski them fast and fluid. A lot of people I hear say they “charge” back out of these lines once standing on top looking in. Charging 30deg pow and charging what’s in that pic are two very different things. Maybe you’re not one of them, cool.
    Short steep lines will not set you up for steep, think 50deg of 1500 vert straight to the bottom.
    Edit: goddamn picture manager
    that looks downright menacing

black text on blue background...can still apply for a visa

I'll apply next year...it's on my list and it won't hurt to at least try....but I'm new to this area too and while the interior BC calls...it's not like i don't have a shit-ton of incredible terrain south of the line to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawtooth Tiger View Post
    I'll apply next year...it's on my list and it won't hurt to at least try....but I'm new to this area too and while the interior BC calls...it's not like i don't have a shit-ton of incredible terrain south of the line to check out.
    Consistently skiing steep terrain is how you will get better. Red has the best steep terrain within 2.25 hours of Spokane. Whitewater has better snow and lots of great terrain as well.

winter ski camp

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    that looks downright menacing
    That day was amazing. 10” of stable snow. One of my top 10 at BS. That was just a couple days after BBI Montucky. Headwaters kicks ass.

For a week long ski improvement vacation, I recommend staying at the St. Bernard Lodge in Taos. It's an El Nino year, so they should have good snow. The ski school there is highly regarded and with the St. Bernard package, one gets customized lessons half day every day. The skischool puts people in groups and then does lessons appropriate for that group.

http://www.stbernardtaos.com/skiweek/

It's a classic lodge and bar, ski to/from door, expensive, but worth it.

I want to ski spines in AK and tackle the tough lines. But I also want to survive while doing it.
    I'm 43 and set a goal to make it to AK to ski spines and cliffs by the time I'm 46.
    Wearing your full ski outfit to the gym is the preferred TGR method of training for this.

Post gopro footage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This is going to be a little Epicski, but while I will echo the advice about seeking out steep/challenging terrain, I would caution that you need to have solid technique either before doing this or work on it while doing that. The truth is that the same technique good skiers use to rail turns on groomers is very, very similar (almost identical, I would argue) to that which is used in steep pow (or corn, or whatever). If you don't have your turns completely locked down on easier terrain I can almost guarantee your technique will be even worse in challenging terrain. I have seen this happen so many times to people who think they know what they're doing--challenging terrain exposes holes in technique. It will be so much easier for you if you get everything locked down on progressively more challenging groomers and then mixed terrain.

I'm thinking right now of the guy in the helmet video someone posted here--if he had better technique (not twisting himself up and getting his weight everywhere it shouldn't be) he probably wouldn't always end up ass over head and might have been able to ski right over the rock that got him. If you aren't driving your hands forward, shins pressed into the front of your boots with a super-quiet upper body and weight on the downhill ski on the flats you will be fucked on the steeps (of course you adjust some of this for pow--sometimes you'll have 50/50 weight distribution, but that's pretty easy to figure out if you have everything dialed in tame terrain).

edit: this is what I was talking about. See guys like this skiing over their heads and you know a shitshow will ensue. And of course modern skis have made this kind of skiing all too common (a guy like this wouldn't last three turns on old skinny skis).

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...shorter-spooky

Oh yeah, something like the ski week thing Buster suggested would be great. They'll likely mix it up for you, working on technical skill on easy stuff and also challenging you on more interesting terrain. My ideal would be to find someone willing to ski with you regularly who is solid and hopefully has an eye for offering advice/making corrections.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Wearing your full ski outfit to the gym is the preferred TGR method of training for this.

Post gopro footage.
    will do...thanks for the tip

For a week long ski improvement vacation, I recommend staying at the St. Bernard Lodge in Taos. It's an El Nino year, so they should have good snow. The ski school there is highly regarded and with the St. Bernard package, one gets customized lessons half day every day. The skischool puts people in groups and then does lessons appropriate for that group.

http://www.stbernardtaos.com/skiweek/

It's a classic lodge and bar, ski to/from door, expensive, but worth it.

I make it down to Albuquerque often for work...that may be a do-able plan....wait...I just checked the prices...scratch that. I can slum it up at the Jackson Hostel and ski for almost a month for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    This is going to be a little Epicski, but while I will echo the advice about seeking out steep/challenging terrain, I would caution that you need to have solid technique either before doing this or work on it while doing that. The truth is that the same technique good skiers use to rail turns on groomers is very, very similar (almost identical, I would argue) to that which is used in steep pow (or corn, or whatever). If you don't have your turns completely locked down on easier terrain I can almost guarantee your technique will be even worse in challenging terrain. I have seen this happen so many times to people who think they know what they're doing--challenging terrain exposes holes in technique. It will be so much easier for you if you get everything locked down on progressively more challenging groomers and then mixed terrain.

I'm thinking right now of the guy in the helmet video someone posted here--if he had better technique (not twisting himself up and getting his weight everywhere it shouldn't be) he probably wouldn't always end up ass over head and might have been able to ski right over the rock that got him. If you aren't driving your hands forward, shins pressed into the front of your boots with a super-quiet upper body and weight on the downhill ski on the flats you will be fucked on the steeps (of course you adjust some of this for pow--sometimes you'll have 50/50 weight distribution, but that's pretty easy to figure out if you have everything dialed in tame terrain).

edit: this is what I was talking about. See guys like this skiing over their heads and you know a shitshow will ensue. And of course modern skis have made this kind of skiing all too common (a guy like this wouldn't last three turns on old skinny skis).

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...shorter-spooky
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. I feel confident in my technique but just because I feel confident doesn't mean I'm properly prepped for steeper terrain. I want a clinic or group or guide or whatever to help me find and fix the holes in form and better prepare me for the next phase. And I don't want to challenge myself on terrain I've never explored with flawed technique. That's like practicing the wrong golf swing over and over...you're just making the problem worse

No matter how far along the route you are...you can't draw a map to where you want to be unless you know your current location.

I make it down to Albuquerque often for work...that may be a do-able plan.
    When Taos has decent snow, it's an awesome mountain; lots and lots of steeps and stashes.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I feel confident in my technique but just because I feel confident doesn't mean I'm properly prepped for steeper terrain. I want a clinic or group or guide or whatever to help me find and fix the holes in form and better prepare me for the next phase. And I don't want to challenge myself on terrain I've never explored with flawed technique. That's like practicing the wrong golf swing over and over...you're just making the problem worse

No matter how far along the route you are...you can't draw a map to where you want to be unless you know your current location.
    Some people don't like to hear this, but I can guarantee you that if you do some ski racing it will tell you (too quickly) what you're doing wrong--you'll feel it, and if you have a decent coach available he/she will be able to tell you how to start fixing things. Easier said than done, but doing it 'right' is in theory pretty simple--and you can take that technique and really apply it directly to steeps or whatever. Like I said, you need to adjust some things, but once you have the basic technique internalized the adjustments become pretty obvious and easy to implement.

All that said, go ahead and have fun on steep terrain, bumps, crud. It will just be a lot easier if you lock down the fundamentals first (BTW, depending on how far along you are and how athletic/motivated you are getting the technique you really want could easily take an entire season or more--many days on snow working on making everything automatic).
    [quote][//quote]

this racing...is this an East Coast thing?

;-)

If I lived in Spokane, I’d be doing whatever it takes to get into Canada, way before I’d even think about going to AK.

Ski as much as you can, with the best skiers you can find. Join a race league, ski touring club and go to BBI.