Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    133

    Black crows atris size help.

    Strong skier, 5ft 10. weight 155lbs. Having a hard time deciding on size. Any input would help. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    40°39'32.94"N 111°35'45.68"W
    Posts
    675
    189.7

    obviously

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,621
    No one on here will recommend less than 184 cause people here like big skis.

    But if you've got a true pow ski in your quiver, then 178 is likely enough ski for inbetween days and will be plenty nimble. At your weight it won't fold on ya.

    If this is your pow ski, 184

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    133
    Thanks, I do have a pow ski. Feel stupid worrying about the difference between 78, 84, and 89s but its the type of deal that keeps me up at night

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    89
    Exact same size as you. 184s work for me in all the conditions that i take the Atris out for, i.e. soft snow

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,136
    184
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by CoAlpha View Post
    Strong skier, 5ft 10. weight 155lbs. Having a hard time deciding on size. Any input would help. Thanks!
    Buddy of mine who's your exact size rides 184 everyday here and loves them.

    I'm 6', 170, I've got 189 as more of a powder ski.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    austrian alps
    Posts
    34
    I'm 178cm and 70kg so 5ft10 and 155lbs in the stupid imperial system.
    This season will be my fourth and I barely ski 30days a year > meaning I suck at skiing aka noob kook gaper jong.

    I ski the 184cm atris (2017, mounted at recommended point) without any problem unless it's the end of a powder day, my legs are burning and I'm skiing shit bumps to get back to the parking. it's a cool ski, but sometimes I wish I had mounted it 1cm back to float a bit better (like blister recommended).

    If you're a "strong skier" get the 189. longer = More surface + more edge = more float in powder + more "grip" to carve your turns.

    That being said I have no clue if the changes they made since this year change the way the ski skis

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    austrian alps
    Posts
    34
    also
    whoever recommends the 178cm ski to a strong 178cm tall skier is an idiot
    whoever get a 108mm wide ski to ski hard snow only is an idiot

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    296
    Stuck in the same boat. Want an atris for soft snow touring 185 cm / 75 kg, will the 189 be too much ski?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    197

    Black crows atris size help.

    Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Stuck in the same boat. Want an atris for soft snow touring 185 cm / 75 kg, will the 189 be too much ski?
    I would have thought too much ski here would apply more to weight for touring than actual skiing. I would guess 189 should be fine. I’m the same size and got the 188 anima and am afraid it might be a bit short (I haven’t skied it yet; the 194 seemed a bit aggressive).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    I would have thought too much ski here would apply more to weight for touring than actual skiing. I would guess 189 should be fine. I’m the same size and got the 188 anima and am afraid it might be a bit short (I haven’t skied it yet; the 194 seemed a bit aggressive).
    Thanks, yeah I guess I should have phrased it "can I get away with the 184"? Obviously would prefer the 184 from a weight perspective, but since it's not a light ski anyway, may just have to go for the 189

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,621
    Quote Originally Posted by zede View Post
    also
    whoever recommends the 178cm ski to a strong 178cm tall skier is an idiot
    whoever get a 108mm wide ski to ski hard snow only is an idiot
    Thanks.

    I guess the guys at Down skis are also idiots for recommending me a ski of my height.

    I know plenty of guys that ski pretty fucking hard on skis that are their height. People whose lives are on the mountain and not spouting off advice in a forum. Depends entirely on where you want the ski to excel. I know the terrain most Denverites like the OP ski in, it ain't as big as the alps or Jackson or Squaw or Big Sky.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by zede View Post
    also
    whoever recommends the 178cm ski to a strong 178cm tall skier is an idiot
    whoever get a 108mm wide ski to ski hard snow only is an idiot
    Outburst.

    fucking millennial jung.
    Last edited by CoAlpha; 10-23-2018 at 10:25 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    austrian alps
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by CoAlpha View Post
    Outburst.

    fucking millennial jung.
    Maybe you're not a strong skier after all.

    Get the atris birdie in 169 it will be fine

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,621
    Quote Originally Posted by zede View Post
    Maybe you're not a strong skier after all.

    Get the atris birdie in 169 it will be fine
    Some people don't measure their egos and ski abilities by the length of their skis. I realize that is uncommon on TGR.

    Your 4th year of skiing and 30 days a year. I know people that ski on skis that match their height or shorter that ski that many days a year. And get paid to to do it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,447
    15 post euro guy going off lol

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    austrian alps
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Some people don't measure their egos and ski abilities by the length of their skis. I realize that is uncommon on TGR.

    Your 4th year of skiing and 30 days a year. I know people that ski on skis that match their height or shorter that ski that many days a year. And get paid to to do it.
    you point ?
    my slalom skis are shorter than me, my touring skis are my size but this is irrelevant because we are talking about a 108mm wide ski and the guy never said he wants to use it for touring. Plus he mentioned "strong skier"

    and as I said in my post, I have these skis and they feel ok on slope and short on powder even for a beginner like me. Why would a "strong" skier get it in a smaller size then ?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,621
    Quote Originally Posted by zede View Post
    you point ?
    my slalom skis are shorter than me, my touring skis are my size but this is irrelevant because we are talking about a 108mm wide ski and the guy never said he wants to use it for touring. Plus he mentioned "strong skier"

    and as I said in my post, I have these skis and they feel ok on slope and short on powder even for a beginner like me. Why would a "strong" skier get it in a smaller size then ?
    My point is that I know the conditions and locations this guy is likely skiing in, because I ski them a bunch. I know a lot of guys who ski a ski of their height in a ~100-110 ski in these areas. They are strong skiers.

    OP already has a powder ski. These will be a leftover ski. Where you're probably skiing soft bumps and trees and other tight spots in search of fresh snow. There are benefits to a shorter ski in these instances -- even for a strong skier.

    OP should get whatever he wants. But the idea that a 178 would only be recommended by an "idiot" is misplaced.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by zede View Post
    I have these skis and they feel ok on slope and short on powder even for a beginner like me. Why would a "strong" skier get it in a smaller size then ?
    The short and skinny beginner can't ski pow on a 184cm/108mm reverse cambered soft snow oriented ski, and yet it is somehow the ski's fault? They feel too short for you because you are bad and aren't skiing fast/fluid/balanced enough.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    296
    ^i have a pretty small penis and am still confused if I can get away with the 184

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    austrian alps
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    The short and skinny beginner can't ski pow on a 184cm/108mm reverse cambered soft snow oriented ski, and yet it is somehow the ski's fault? They feel too short for you because you are bad and aren't skiing fast/fluid/balanced enough.
    sorry if i don't fit into the body weight norm of fatland.
    Also the atris is not a reverse camber ski, but in trumpland, being wrong does not make your argument less valid I guess?
    Oh and the only reason I said they "feel short" is because it's my only "wide" ski, so during the few days in which we got in 50cm fresh last year, I wished I had mounted them a bit more on the back because it was not floating so well in weird snow density.

    I assumed that since colorado people keep bragging about how light is their snow, the guy might have wanted a bit more ski to float better. But I had not seen he mentioned he has separate pow skis. my bad.

    @NWFlow Do you tour in steep places which requires lots of kick turns? if your penis is small, it should not get in the way so it should be all right with 189 but if your balls are very big then get the 184

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,447
    ^ lol ok I like this guy now

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,289
    184. Done and done.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    296
    Great thank you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •