WTB - Waxing and tuning gear / Salomon Jig

Hey all,

I'm trying to use my time effectively this year, and try to avoid paying lots of monies to the shop.

My hopes are to mount about 3 pairs of skis and do some edging work.

What I'm looking for:

1. Wax iron
    2. Ski vise for wide skis
    3. edging tools
    4. Possibly a Salomon Jig that works for STH16 and S916

Does anyone have recommendations for edging tools / file guides that really work for them?

Thank you!

1. A $3 iron from the Goodwill is fine. Bonus if it doesn't have holes for steam.
    2. You can build a totally functional system out of a couple pieces of scrap wood, and kitchen liner. Mine are 1x8 bases, 2 2x4 posts, and a 2x4 cross bar. I can clamp them to the work stand. I cover the cross bar with kitchen non-slip liner. And for edges cut 1/2 way through the cross bar about 7 or 8mm with a circular saw. You can kinda see them in this photo: https://i.imgur.com/E6uKte6.jpg
    3. Figure out what edge angles you like and buy fixed angle tools. I like 2/1 for skiing in the West as an all-around tune. I have a Swix side edge tool, and a BEAST base bevel tool. From there, get a medium file, a medium diamond stone and a gummi stone. That should be good enough for not-racing.
    4. For three mounts, just use a paper template. They aren't that hard. Promise. I'm an idiot.

I have an older salomon jig that has the standard pattern on it but is for skinny skis. Was planning to modify it for wider skis but found a wide jig so will be letting the skinny one go. Not sure on price?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    1. A $3 iron from the Goodwill is fine. Bonus if it doesn't have holes for steam.
    2. You can build a totally functional system out of a couple pieces of scrap wood, and kitchen liner. Mine are 1x8 bases, 2 2x4 posts, and a 2x4 cross bar. I can clamp them to the work stand. I cover the cross bar with kitchen non-slip liner. And for edges cut 1/2 way through the cross bar about 7 or 8mm with a circular saw. You can kinda see them in this photo: https://i.imgur.com/E6uKte6.jpg
    3. Figure out what edge angles you like and buy fixed angle tools. I like 2/1 for skiing in the West as an all-around tune. I have a Swix side edge tool, and a BEAST base bevel tool. From there, get a medium file, a medium diamond stone and a gummi stone. That should be good enough for not-racing.
    4. For three mounts, just use a paper template. They aren't that hard. Promise. I'm an idiot.
    we're trying to figure out a good tuning bench. have all the tools but our garage workbench is too tall

dbd- I want to see your pic but the link says not authorized.

superior- hope you are enjoying the new locale!
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    we're trying to figure out a good tuning bench. have all the tools but our garage workbench is too tall

Huh, thats dumb. I'll take a better shot tonight and attach here.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post

Too tall? My first ever big kid tool bench is super tall and I like it better that way. In fact, it's really amazing for ski-tuning because the vises can clamp right on the tabletop, not to mention the built-in power strip. And it's red, which is probably most important.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ddfddfd.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	252493

Before that, I just built a little tabletop to go over my sink and tool chest. The middle panel wasn't screwed down, so i could get at the sink.

Name:  sdfsds.PNG
Views: 227
Size:  905.2 KB

Before that, I used this saw-horse with a piece of shelving clamped to the top with the ski vise. I still use this if I'm going to tune on the road.

Name:  aaedds.PNG
Views: 226
Size:  510.7 KB

I used to do it with the scrap wood and kitchen liner method. Worked just fine. In some ways, it's better if you use the method where you cut out a boot shape and clamp in. More stable than the vise IMO. This one isn't mine, but googled it for ya.

I am definitely going with some recommendations here. Workshop is under construction.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hey Superior, you live in Bozeman now, right ?

Free stuff, pickup at my place in Big Sky.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1541542549.840249.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	392.9 KB 
ID:	254307
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Hey Superior, you live in Bozeman now, right ?

Free stuff, pickup at my place in Big Sky.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1541542549.840249.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	392.9 KB 
ID:	254307
    Harry,
    How wide are those?
    If Superior passes pls let me know.

WTB - Waxing and tuning gear / Salomon Jig

No idea how wide. I found it dumpster diving. Found 2 pairs of minty Volkl Explosivs in the same dumpster a few weeks later. Unbelievable all the stuff I find that these rich people throw out.

My condo complex has a waxing & tuning room so i have no need for this stuff.

Superior gets first dibs if he wants this stuff. I will let you know.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Solid

That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    No idea how wide. I found it dumpster diving. Found 2 pairs of minty Volkl Explosivs in the same dumpster a few weeks later. Unbelievable all the stuff I find that these rich people throw out.

My condo complex has a waxing & tuning room so i have no need for this stuff.

Superior gets first dibs if he wants this stuff. I will let you know.
    Nice job dumpster diving! Can I show up to the Djongo Fest this weekend and trade some beer for them?

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Nice job dumpster diving! Can I show up to the Djongo Fest this weekend and trade some beer for them?
    Yup, they are yours. I was going to suggest you come to the party and pick them up, you beat me to it. Sent you a PM.