Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ridiculously warm today. We had races all day and maybe because the snow is super white still and the sun still a long way south everything held up okay. No salt needed. Just barely cold enough for refreezes every night which is also helpful.

Somewhere between 1 pm when I emerged from the race shack from my assigned useless assistant job and sunset the sun had just the right amount of grip to make things super fun. Fkna. I love skiing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It sounds like the junk show at Marquette Mountain continues depending on who you ask.

A couple comments on the article.

They closed the carry in lunch area? That is complete bullshit. Build a decent restaurant/cafeteria and they will come. Chestnut has two restaurants and we rarely (never) bother with the cafeteria because I'd rather hang with Victor the best table busser ever and the Chicago tourist skiers up in the real bar. Really we rarely bring lunches inside either but when my wife was pregnant and laid off we sure as hell did and we appreciated the room that is still made available.

Chestnut makes us show our passes every single day as well. They always have. I hate it. Such a hassle especially on race day when 700 other people are trying to get tickets before 8 am. We do have our own little window in the locker room but still. Granite Peak installed RFID scanners this year and that is awesome but expensive and they must be racking up debt faster than the Feds right now. Hopefully the technology becomes more accessible to mom and pop ski areas as time goes by. I get they want to track skier numbers.

We are like 5000 miles south of Marquette and the rain has been horrible this year. Still everything around here is 100% open. Even Hidden Valley in St. Louis has managed to stay open till the last day or two when they shut down briefly because they have had honest horrendous temps this year and rain. A guy told me this weekend that the snow is too thin to use real gates, only brushes.

https://wotsmqt.com/a-winter-of-disc...FeFaU5hGkGY9Vk

Also some more midwest U10 race stoke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190106-IMG_0021.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	979.9 KB 
ID:	263560

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    This year is starting off about as bad as it can... We had just a few days in mid Dec where my little hill was able to make snow... Just as the holiday break started the warm front and rain set in... They closed for New Years Eve due to an inch of rain and the pic is just before all of the rain... They are now just building paths to larger patches to just keep the hill open... This weekend is calling for sunshine and highs close to 50... At the end of the past couple of seasons we say no way can next year be worse and have been wrong everytime...

Rant over... Hope all of my other MW mags are fairing better... Thank gawd for my past and upcoming trips out West... If not for those I would probably have lost my mind...Attachment 262712

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Is that sad river? Thankfully the cold is back with us here in Ohio. Blow them whales!

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Posted in the bike section as well, but haven't been getting many responses: how many Midwest Mags DH MTB/BMX as well?

What's up mags? It's been a while. Anyone have first hand report on Boho? Low tide? Headed up there Jan. 24-28...
    Ask for change.

Anyone have boot fitter recommendations for the SW Ohio or Central Ohio area? In the market for new boots and would prefer to get fitted by someone in the area to make future adjustments easier.
    Nobody listens to a fkn word fat chicks say. Nobody talks to them long enough to notice they're crazy

Quote Originally Posted by waltonhockey05 View Post
    Anyone have boot fitter recommendations for the SW Ohio or Central Ohio area? In the market for new boots and would prefer to get fitted by someone in the area to make future adjustments easier.
    Walton,

Aspen Ski & Board on Polaris Parkway... They have a huge selection of boots and there are a couple that know there shit...

Small hills rule. So much passion and sense of community. Im a mountain man theough and through but grew up at small hills. #allsnowmatters
    I love this thread and Bohemia looks awesome!!!
    (and not really that small...)
    Last edited by jetski; 01-14-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Holy shit winter has finally hit my little mole hill... Just a week ago we hit 59 fir a high and my local mountain was having to build small strips of snow to create paths to connect to larger patches... This weekend winter hit and my hill was able to blow snow and for a bonus got 6" natural... They are sell blowing snow and this weekend they are calling for a huge storm and are forecasting 8 to 15" of the real shit...

It took a while, but finally...!

Yeah finally white and cold around here and cold enough to maintain a decent surface and a decent outlook.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Really dire up here in MN unless you're lapping Lutsen. Happy to see y'all on the southern edge getting some white stuff. My buddy in Chicago area was pretty psyched.

Really super conditions up at the Nut tonight. 98 underfoot had tons of bite - I bought some Wrens last year and didn't have them dialed in until after a grind so tonight was a blast, pretty much bought them for my hard snow JH big mountain ski and headed out for MLK. Lots of cord left over everywhere well beyond the edges. Good surface everywhere with about 4 to 5 inches of fresh groomed into the base and while there might have been some bulletproof around if you shopped hard enough I didn't find any. Temps around 32 with a cold front on the back doorstep and big snow coming Friday followed by some real nice cold air. Nobody in the house except race team and a few stragglers and hotel guests from Cheekago. Our next laps will be in JH where I doubt we will be lucky enough to score our own private lift for the last half hour of the day.

Name:	20190115-IMG_0032.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	839.0 KB 
ID:	264760

Name:	20190115-IMG_0033.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	619.9 KB 
ID:	264761

Name:	20190115-IMG_0043.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	264762

Name:	20190115-IMG_0044.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	264763

The snow gods said trust your edges and prepare to get dusted. Keeping up with my eight year old on Warpath while holding a phone is getting errr... tough...but fkna I'll take it.

Last edited by uglymoney; 01-16-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waltonhockey05 View Post
    Come see Chris at Aspen ski and board. Dude knows his shit. Few guys that are ohio ski bums working there

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com...504571851.html

Fire at Whitecap. Doesn’t seem that long ago that Boyne had their incident. Vibes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Check out my trip report Midwest Mags!

Quote Originally Posted by freerideskiing View Post
    Check out my trip report Midwest Mags!
    Sunburst was my local hill in college! Tow rope park laps all day!

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    Sunburst was my local hill in college! Tow rope park laps all day!

You still in WI?

Good Sunburst stoke!

Speaking of the Wisco motherland...

I will be at Cascade this weekend hopefully skiing both days for my girls WIJARA race. I think I stressed my IT band on my acl'd knee skiing pow last week at JH but I think I will be good to ski this weekend after resting it this week. It certainly didn't slow down my cord shredding at Sun Valley later in the week. Wisco mags hit me with a pm and we will take some laps.

Also -17 at 1 pm here at my house in Moose. BRRRR! My dog is the only one who has been outside.

You still in WI?
    Not anymore. These days im in Ohio

Not anymore. These days im in Ohio

Oh man. Would be cool to get a session in there with other mags.

Edit: A WI session
    Last edited by freerideskiing; 01-30-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Oh man. Would be cool to get a session in there with other mags.

Edit: A WI session
    That would be a blast, either there or in ohio!

That would be a blast, either there or in ohio!

Count me in for an OH session... What is your local hill Japanda...?

Madriver would be it. You?

Madriver would be it. You?

Ohio would be a hike for me . Hopefully some WI mags chime in for a WI session & I hope you get your OH session as well!

Ohio would be a hike for me . Hopefully some WI mags chime in for a WI session & I hope you get your OH session as well!

Next time im visting my family in IL ill bring the sticks with me. Got some old buddies around milwaukee ive been meaning to see. How is the new lil swiss doing?

Undertow, lets make some laps happen. I can cheat on sad river with shit trails.