Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 116 of 116
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I am out in Montana but it should be good especially if sunny. Show up at 1030 and the sun should get a grip about 11. Afternoons in the late spring are glorious at Chestnut. Bring some fat skis for 230 on. Rip slush laps on Warpath.
    Thanks for the intel UG$. Haven't skied Chestnut since my jr. race days. Looking forward to some rare midwest spring skiing

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,753
    Quote Originally Posted by GAPERsauraus REX View Post
    Thanks for the intel UG$. Haven't skied Chestnut since my jr. race days. Looking forward to some rare midwest spring skiing
    Arrgghh. Just saw this. The warmth and the rain must be taking a toll. Bummer. I can't ever remember them closing on a Thursday. Weird.



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    27
    Cripes.
    Well, Tyrol Basin is still open. Perhaps that will be the last gasp for the year.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,586

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,586

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,753
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Chestnut really is super fun

    Bumping the Chestnut stoke. Fkna! Wish I could have joined.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Midwest/Wisconsin
    Posts
    133
    Anyone here in Madison?

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vinyl Valley
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideskiing View Post
    Anyone here in Madison?
    Hey, I am. What's up?

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Midwest/Wisconsin
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Hey, I am. What's up?
    Is Tyrol the best option for park/skiing in general near UW-Madison?

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vinyl Valley
    Posts
    1,033
    ^^^

    I'll preface by saying I'm not a park skier. And, since it's the midwest, I typically ski here midweek, during the day and only when it's sunny and nice. Put in the earbuds and I can stand it for about can hour, maybe 2. A fine burning rope helps.

    Between Cascade, Devil's Head and Tyrol, Tyrol used to have the best park. Maybe it still does. New management took over a couple of years ago and the park has devolved from it's former glory. There are fewer jumps, kickers (half pipe 1 season, no half pipe the other) or various other features that make a decent park. I guess.

    I like Tyrol more than the others because of it's relaxed vibe... and, of the 3, it's the closest to my home. Friendly peeps, decent snow making and no crowds help.

    Cascade is right off the interstate, so it gets random visitors from all over (mostly FISH) and it seems to be the most crowded. Tyrol and Devil's Head are less crowded and farther from the highway, there are more "locals" and season pass holders compared to the mostly day visitors at Cascade.

    Devil's Head is a year-round resort with lodging, and has visitors from everywhere. A low key vibe and south facing slopes make it a good substitute for Tyrol when I want a change of scenery. I'd go there more often if it wasn't twice as far from me as Tyrol.

    Some scattered, random thoughts.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    152
    Iíve never been, but have heard some good things: http://www.blackhawkskiclub.org

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vinyl Valley
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Sheer-Rocko View Post
    Iíve never been, but have heard some good things: http://www.blackhawkskiclub.org
    That place kicks ass for their Wednesday tele night (so much fun)... and they have a ski jump(s?) there.

    Otherwise... meh

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Midwest/Wisconsin
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    ^^^

    I'll preface by saying I'm not a park skier. And, since it's the midwest, I typically ski here midweek, during the day and only when it's sunny and nice. Put in the earbuds and I can stand it for about can hour, maybe 2. A fine burning rope helps.

    Between Cascade, Devil's Head and Tyrol, Tyrol used to have the best park. Maybe it still does. New management took over a couple of years ago and the park has devolved from it's former glory. There are fewer jumps, kickers (half pipe 1 season, no half pipe the other) or various other features that make a decent park. I guess.

    I like Tyrol more than the others because of it's relaxed vibe... and, of the 3, it's the closest to my home. Friendly peeps, decent snow making and no crowds help.

    Cascade is right off the interstate, so it gets random visitors from all over (mostly FISH) and it seems to be the most crowded. Tyrol and Devil's Head are less crowded and farther from the highway, there are more "locals" and season pass holders compared to the mostly day visitors at Cascade.

    Devil's Head is a year-round resort with lodging, and has visitors from everywhere. A low key vibe and south facing slopes make it a good substitute for Tyrol when I want a change of scenery. I'd go there more often if it wasn't twice as far from me as Tyrol.

    Some scattered, random thoughts.
    Thanks for the info. Is there a bus or any public transport to Tyrol? Been to Cascade plenty of times over the years but the park's always been nonexistent in terms of jumps.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vinyl Valley
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideskiing View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is there a bus or any public transport to Tyrol? Been to Cascade plenty of times over the years but the park's always been nonexistent in terms of jumps.
    You'll get bus rides to Tyrol Basin and Devil's Head if you join the Hoofers Ski and Snowboard Club at UW.

    https://www.hoofersns.org/

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Midwest/Wisconsin
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    You'll get bus rides to Tyrol Basin and Devil's Head if you join the Hoofers Ski and Snowboard Club at UW.

    https://www.hoofersns.org/
    Thanks. Is anyone else here at UW?

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    822
    Class of 1987, baby (!)

    Go Bucky

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •