Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Southern Interior BC 2018-19

Time for a new thread.

After swissiphic's report I had to see for myself and concur. Almost had the place to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    No snow up in the level four drought sticken nwbc so figured I'd do a day trip to Mcrae. Twas a great summer for gravel skiing but was itchin for some snow turns. Worth the 14 hour drive. Road was in great shape and was stoked to find the shortcut section smoothed out and the two big mud puddles drained and dry. Prit near drowned my little econobox crossing em last year.

Surprisingly good coverage on the glacier. Dunno if the crevasses were still bridged/filled in from last season or if it's this year's snowpack that did the duty. Ski pole probed over 60cms HS on the upper glacier...guessing prob 80-90.

Really sweet dry, smooth creamy topping...fantastic skiing. Temps were mild but longwave radiation kept the snow dry on the glacier and shaded terrain basically to treeline where it became a bit moist but still slick enough to be fun. Supportive base from treeline to road meant turns were had the whole way through. Skied to road but the bottom bit of the trail was pretty burly.

Super nice day. Wore a t shirt to the ridgeline and only really felt cold at the top.

Compare/contrast pic of crevasses/coverage...oct 2015 and yesterday.

Attachment 251630

Attachment 251631

Missed that. Nice one Swissiphic

***Attention Tourists***
    this is not the rockies thread.

No one cares how much it snowed in Fernie.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    ***Attention Tourists***
    this is not the rockies thread.

No one cares how much it snowed in Fernie.
    Why is Fernie part of the Kootney's then?

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Don't confuse physical geography with On-line thread catchments.

'Murican lurker here.

Isn't there something about the valley containing Lake Kinbasket that supposedly delineates transitional mountain ranges from the Rockies?

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    'Murican lurker here.

Isn't there something about the valley containing Lake Kinbasket that supposedly delineates transitional mountain ranges from the Rockies?
    it certainly does. AKA the Rocky Mt. Trench.

whats important here is that every year folks log in and ask for Beta on the Rockies (or the Kootneys, or whatever the fuck you want to call places that are not in the Southern Interior) ... and every year there is an awkward silence..or if you're lucky, a PM sent to advise you that This Thread Has Your Beta ... I just though we could head this one off at the pass this year.

We have attempted to define our true physical boundary, but the ambiguity helps define the come from aways.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Because Fernie is in the Elk Valley, and the Elk River flows into the Kootenay River?

(Fernie is still in the Rockies, though)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention; the peak and the ridgeline above the McCrae glacier had some cornice development in spots...mostly looker's right IIRC. A nice little chunk dropped recently and rolled down the low angle firm snow for a bit. Any chunks that gain momentum and send it over the steeper roll could ruin yer day if a guy/girl was on that pitch and got smoked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-10-20-08h18m32s685.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	927.8 KB 
ID:	252010
    Last edited by swissiphic; 10-22-2018 at 01:08 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Hey thought i'd ask, would anyone have a room or house to rent me in Revy? 26, electrician from the kootenays, skiitour often, really chill and respectful, have rental references will shovel your whole place all winter and be super grateful. Show me what chu got!!
    Last edited by Skiwurrel; 10-23-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Nice work swissiphic. Jealous. Just had 2nd ankle surgery of the year so still a ways away for me. I imagine anything south facing has been nuked by the blob.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

CBC are reporting that Parks Canada commissioned an internal report from KPMG to consider options for divesting non-core assets - i.e. highways. Options considered include transfers to other levels of government or contracting out maintenance. This isn't imminent and might never happen. However if it did it could have a major effects on the avalanche control program in Glacier National Park - and hence the access to skiing. Keep your ears to the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Just had 2nd ankle surgery of the year so still a ways away for me.
    Sorry to hear el hefe; vibes for a good solid recovery.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    CBC are reporting that Parks Canada commissioned an internal report from KPMG to consider options for divesting non-core assets - i.e. highways. Options considered include transfers to other levels of government or contracting out maintenance. This isn't imminent and might never happen. However if it did it could have a major effects on the avalanche control program in Glacier National Park - and hence the access to skiing. Keep your ears to the ground!
    Hopefully no effect, obviously. I know “volker stevin “(Alberta highway contractor) has been in talks for 9 years with the feds on taking over highway maintenance within the park. I had hoped it’d finally go through this year. No such luck. It’d be ez for them. Parks and existing contracts between would be one clean link for them between Alberta eastern border and perry river(50km west of Revy as you know)
    In Canmore , kannanaskis country park rangers still do the snow control over the spray road which would bode well for existing av control in the parks/ fingers crossed

Parks began looking into divesting infrastructure some time last year, if I recall correctly.

I suspect there would be minimal impact to the public if they elected to sell resources. Some level of government is ultimately going to pay for maintenance.... although the notion that I could somehow buy a hwy is interesting... parks isn't allowed to toll their roads , but a private owner or another government level owner could? ... who actually wants to buy public infrastructure that has been poorly maintained for the last 20 years?

Parks began looking into divesting infrastructure some time last year, if I recall correctly.

I suspect there would be minimal impact to the public if they elected to sell resources. Some level of government is ultimately going to pay for maintenance.... although the notion that I could somehow buy a hwy is interesting... parks isn't allowed to toll their roads , but a private owner or another government level owner could? ... who actually wants to buy public infrastructure that has been poorly maintained for the last 20 years?
    I guess it could be part of the discussion. Gov’t have floated the idea of public/private partnership to expand infrastructure . Volker certainly have deep enough pockets to fit the bill. They’re privately held company and not publicly trade but they’re valued at about a similar level as “lafarge” for example

.....who actually wants to buy public infrastructure that has been poorly maintained for the last 20 years?
    A Spanish conglomerate named Cintra has leased six of the biggest toll roads in the US.
    Tolls usually double in the first five years.

If the federal government can buy an unapproved pipeline from private industry, one would hope they could maintain critical infrastructure related to parks access... but maybe I am just a dreamer

Name:	Untitled1.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	253376
    Name:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:	Untitled1.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	253376
    Name:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  43.1 KB
    Drop everything! Looking good for annual remembrance day ski.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Conditions are good enough to ski tour from and ski to the parking lot at the pass without thrashing gear. HS 140 at 2000m up from 80 a few days ago . yehawww

Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Damnnnn that looks tasty! Where was that vid taken?

Lamothe turning up the early season stoke meter for your south of the border brethren!

Fawk. Only 36cm on the ground at Kootenay Pass.

Hey guys, lookin' for some intel. Heading to cowtown in a few days and will be driving through rogers pass. Wondering if there's any quick hit ski touring where a guy could fire off a quick hot lap in a two hour time window at this time of year? Kinda guessing not but thought i'd check just in case. lamothe; much time does a guy need for that terrain in yer video? is it Balu?
    Master of mediocrity.