Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    I've heard rumor of the gorge being plowed to 9km can anyone help confirm?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Heard same but 8km.

rossland-sar-brings-back-two-overdue-back-country-skiers

Please know where you are going. This pic shows where we picked them up - it's a long way up or down from here... Lamb Creek for those who know the area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190201_090359.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	267954

This is pretty much utterly inexcusable in this age of smart phones. It takes all of 13 seconds to GPS the location of your parked car.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Skiied mad pillows in the Manning Park BC yesterday, 30+cms on a soft settled base, was amazinggg

Name:	20190202_153449.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	819.5 KB 
ID:	267979

Name:	20190202_132640.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1,001.1 KB 
ID:	267980

Name:	20190202_125851.jpg 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	267982

Name:	20190202_144958.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	777.6 KB 
ID:	267983

Nicre Alkares! Don't want to steal your zone, but I'm genuinely curious about touring there, what general area do you start from and is there a long approach?

We had a sick day yesterday too, poached some cat ski terrain and only got "talked to" by one guide !

Yes! Don’t hear much on Manning. Looks mighty fine

Helluva weekend up at Kootenai Pass- about 12" fresh with bluebird most of the day on Saturday. North sides held well on Sunday and the little bit of hoar down 30cm wasn't moving.

Nicre Alkares! Don't want to steal your zone, but I'm genuinely curious about touring there, what general area do you start from and is there a long approach?

We had a sick day yesterday too, poached some cat ski terrain and only got "talked to" by one guide !

Keefer? I had a chat with a guide as well yesterday. Don't think they expected to find anyone back here.

Name:	20190203_122607.jpg 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	268076

Name:	Screenshot_20190203-162503_Video Player.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	994.4 KB 
ID:	268077

Name:	20190203_125715.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	890.1 KB 
ID:	268078

Really good skiing and stable. Had some buddies up at Eagles pass sledding and they said if you even looked at the snow it was sliding. Only saw one small slide yesterday.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Keefer? I had a chat with a guide as well yesterday. Don't think they expected to find anyone back here.
    K3! Stable and deep. The guide was friendly, but very unhappy that we were there.

Ha, we were at K3 as well. My guy was pretty chill about it.

^^^
    Are you not allowed to tour in their permit area?

Here they don’t want sled skiers to poach, but touring is OK.

I just about did a day with K3 last week.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Skiing/riding with a couple of buddies at Red today, shout at us if anyone's around. I'm wearing a green puffy, black pants and black helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    ^^^
    Are you not allowed to tour in their permit area?

Here they don’t want sled skiers to poach, but touring is OK.
    Yeah, using their roads with a sled is a no no in my book. We toured up. Like I said, guide I ran into was very nice about it.

I was at K3 last week. We saw a couple people touring. It costs them $$$ to maintain the road only to have people drive up, take up parking space in the staging area and poach their terrain. The owner and the guides said there isn't really anything they can do about it, but I think it's pretty poor form to take advantage of their work and not contribute back. A few seasons ago there were some sledders flying along the cat road and basically ran into the snow cat head on, they stopped without incident but still.

I would be more than happy to contribute to the cost of road maintenance for touring access in the area. There is more than enough terrain for everyone to play nice together.

I should say we also toured.

Being an American transplant (that now pays taxes and contributes to Canadian society) there is a part of me that believes federal land is for all, and I can't help but be a little peeved when someone gets on us for "disturbing the operation". I even asked the first person I saw that morning what area they preferred to tour in to keep out of the way and did our best to keep out of the fgp zone they planned to have their clients on that day we even dug our own parking spot!

I was told there was access off of 12km there, can anyone weigh in on what it's like so I can keep from disturbing the peace in the future?

In all reality, the lease is open and checking is the smart thing to do.a few operations like Mike Weigle has been able to get section 58 closures preventing access preventing access
    With more sledding areas getting shut down (Joss , hall) I forsee more people encroaching upon cat ski ops.
    Whether they are closed for habitat or logging, the cat ski ops become easier targets to ride.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Meggers- Crown land is open to everyone to access and enjoy not just the elite, privileged an entitled. Just because they have the permits to operate a cat ski operation on that land does not mean they can prevent you from using it for your own personal use, unless they have a special closure, which K3 does not.

The operation should be proactive and come up with ways to mitigate the disturbance just like all other operations in BC. There are a lot of ways to mitigate the disturbance. Take it from other operations- offer a zone for sledders/ski tourers to go if they do come up, Someplace outside of their tenure or something they don't use very often. Back it up with signage, plow a bigger parking area, post the signage and appreciate the locals that come up and respect their requests to not use there terrain.
    The locals will be the ones that share the good vibe to others that come up and an unwritten code of respect towards the operation will follow suit. Lets face it its not outsiders coming up to these hidden zones its locals.

This topic has been an ongoing problem with operations for the last decade however operations are starting to get the point they don't own the land and should'nt be bullying public users.

The only Cat ski operation in BC that owns the land is Island Lake Lodge. Other then that there is only a handful of government closures to exclusive use on crown land during ski operations. (Meadow Lake- locals tried to put the operation out of business by constantly destroying the terrain so government had to step in, Mike Wiegle)
    Last edited by teamdirt; 02-05-2019 at 02:28 PM.

My 'Merican atlas don't go North of the 49th but I love me some Tim Hortons and a bit of Corb Lund. I hope that will buy me some cred in the land of red, white and beer.

I'm going on a hut trip at Valhalla Mountain Touring first week in April. I'm gonna just ask my stupid questions here.

Does winter occasionally hang around that long or is it most likely to be full on spring?

We leave out of Hills so I'm thinking a hotel in Nelson the night before is the way to go? Any recommendations mid grade of lower? This trip is already the most expensive trip ever. The old hotel in the middle of town?

How does the green scene work these days? It is legal but you gots no pot supermarkets? Last time I was through the Koots the locals just about gave it to you.

Could be spring, could be waist deep. You never know at that time of year, although it will lean towards springy moist likely.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    In all reality, the lease is open and checking is the smart thing to do.a few operations like Mike Weigle has been able to get section 58 closures preventing access preventing access
    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Do you have any links to documents...not familiar with 'section 58'. No skin in this game, just curious.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    My 'Merican atlas don't go North of the 49th but I love me some Tim Hortons and a bit of Corb Lund. I hope that will buy me some cred in the land of red, white and beer.

I'm going on a hut trip at Valhalla Mountain Touring first week in April. I'm gonna just ask my stupid questions here.

Does winter occasionally hang around that long or is it most likely to be full on spring?

We leave out of Hills so I'm thinking a hotel in Nelson the night before is the way to go? Any recommendations mid grade of lower? This trip is already the most expensive trip ever. The old hotel in the middle of town?

How does the green scene work these days? It is legal but you gots no pot supermarkets? Last time I was through the Koots the locals just about gave it to you.
    In nelson, I've had luck with the prestige inn. Usually cheap. Walking distance to downtown. Sometimes can be had with a ski and stay deal for whitewater, if you have an extra day.

For green, if you have a u.s. medical card, there's a shop in nelson that'll sell to you. That was before Canada legalized, so it's probably even easier now.

I'd bet your snow will be a crap shoot. It's not unusual to get decent storms that time of year. Also not unusual to have full on spring conditions.

Southern Interior BC 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Do you have any links to documents...not familiar with 'section 58'. No skin in this game, just curious.
    Section 58 of Forest & Ranges Practices Act.
    http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/...9_01#section58

You can download google earth kml of all the closures here:
    https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dat...n-orders-lines
    You’ll then have to dig up the specific order to see who and when the restriction regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

Hey Foggy there's really good steep stuff N facing out of VMT like within 1 hour skin. Ive had N facing blower touring around the areas close by early mid April. Ive also had refrozen chunk in Feb. Fat snowpack this year already.

There's some motels in.New Denver too fyi. I really like New Denver myself but its small

I should say we also toured.

Being an American transplant (that now pays taxes and contributes to Canadian society) there is a part of me that believes federal land is for all, and I can't help but be a little peeved when someone gets on us for "disturbing the operation". I even asked the first person I saw that morning what area they preferred to tour in to keep out of the way and did our best to keep out of the fgp zone they planned to have their clients on that day we even dug our own parking spot!

I was told there was access off of 12km there, can anyone weigh in on what it's like so I can keep from disturbing the peace in the future?

You parked in their staging area? Up Skyline??? With a sled????