ARL priced per run v. rest using Hobbs?

Question for the collective with more experience than I doing the AK heli thing. I see that ARL prices things per run while most of the rest price per Hobbs hour. Which is better, why the difference? Any first hand experience would be awesome.

Seems like ARL's pricing would incentivize them end up running a bunch of shorter/closer runs, but maybe I'm thinking about this wrong since I am a virgin on this topic.

Looking at doing an RV for a week at ARL next year so any pro's or con's on that scenario would be great.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Maybe it’s changed, but we did Hobbs divided by runs.
    Some of us did a lot more runs and paid accordingly.

Yes, I prefer Hobbs.

ARL priced per run v. rest using Hobbs?

Tend to prefer Hobbs but I ski in Haines which has more stacked terrain.
    In certain zones you can be super efficient on 1500-2000 ft vert runs and get under $100.
    I believe Valdez might swing the other way, with longer runs and less stacked terrain.
    Yes, it will affect motivations of the op to some extent, but all the ops (in Haines at least) tend to want to get to the goods. I've had guides take really long rides out to zones even though we were on a per run basis.
    Weather is the thing, all else is minor in comparison.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

If you are only going to ARL, why the RV?

I would put this question directly to the heli-ops. I don't have a whole lot of experience with this but have only gone with Hobbs hours, which I always assumed was better as you only pay for what you use, in theory. I don't think ops that price on a per run basis are going have any incentive to burn extra fuel if they can get away with using less, so a greater chance of paying extra (I assume). I would just ask someone like Jessica at PNH what the deal really is--you should be able to get a straight answer. As someone else mentioned, it's relatively unimportant compared to what you can't pay for--good weather. And I tend to doubt over the course of X thousand dollars that you'll burn during a decent week the difference will amount to that much relative to the entire cost (but again, I'm kind of guessing based on what I understand).
    [quote][//quote]

I think when the companies rent the helicopters they commit to so many hours and then pay by how much time they use. This is based on the hobbs meter. By charging the skier they are in line with what they are paying for. The time the helicopter is being used for you to ski. I know when I have chartered helicopters I have always paid by the hobbs time.
    You probably will not do much window shopping paying by the run. It is ok because Rendevous has more terrain, taller mountains, and better weather than other heli outfits in Alaska.. On a side note it looks like Valdez heli guides website is not working. I would not worry about your hobbs verse runs probably all works out to same amount of skiing.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If you are only going to ARL, why the RV?
    Saves a bunch of $$$ is the short answer.

Also stoked to hang with our gang, drink our much cheaper bought booze, cruise around a bit and explore pre or post heli days. Not sold on ARL, but that is our leading candidate.
    Last edited by comish; 10-22-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!