Ski touring rabbit ears pass

Hey guys

I was in steamboat last weekend just to get out of town for a bit. I hiked from dumont campground to the rabbit ears and saw some cool little mini golf zones along the way. Does anyone have experience back here? Seems like a 3 almost 4 mile skin from the highway so without a sled is it worth it?/a place people ski often?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There' a zone on the south side with maybe a 1/2 mile skin that's quite nice

Good XC, but very little worth the work to get to. Buff pass has better options. Sled makes all approaches better, but then why not just ride the side all day?

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    There' a zone on the south side with maybe a 1/2 mile skin that's quite nice
    Thinking of Mt Baker? Its one line I've thought might be worth bringing the touring sticks out. Nice 1000' east facing shot with decent slope.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Good XC, but very little worth the work to get to. Buff pass has better options. Sled makes all approaches better, but then why not just ride the side all day?
    ^^^^^That about sums it up.

I skied from the car, on the non-sled side, with a group of mixed abilities (so we weren't going on some epic trek to get to some goods, assuming there are even any out there). Very few turns to be had - mostly xc as stated above (but on my heavyweight gear). It was a lovely day to be outside, but I got bored of merely tromping around.

Gay-flat-powder (if there’s powder) otherwise just the first two words.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Always wondered ... looked like sled/xc to me. Thanks for confirming.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I think theres a sweet 4 turn to huge cliff drop line just behind the ears. Like you said, I think there's some sweet mini golf lines for the young hucker.
    dirtbag, not a dentist