Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Surfing with a freshly (10 days) sticthed up surgical scar

Just had a plate and 12 screws out. Going to Maui in 9 days and hoping to get in the water. Also will be with my 3 and 5 yr olds so will be a bummer if no ocean time with them.

Any thoughts on this? Surgeon wasn't too keen on it, infection or it opening. Will still have sutures in still. 6" incision up side of outer leg.

Last time I was in Maui I had stitches in my hand and thumb and they did fine.

Thanks.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

POD 10 ortho hardware removal with sutures still in and the incision is not healed? I wouldn't. I am not a surgeon, but I deal with post operative infections. Bad news bears there. The ocean is full of surprising amounts of nasty pathogens, like, worse than a hot tub. Sutures and an unhealed wound with a wound channel going to the bone is potentially asking for a bad couple months and some more OR trips.

Consider getting a large Opsite dressing (breathable transparent occlusive dressing) AND a heavy duty leg condom and then wear a water shoe or sandal over it and you could still wade in the ocean with the kids, but surfing is not a good plan.

Maui has a lot of awesome stuff to do out of the water though... do Hana road and get guide app you'll be able to stop every 15 or 20 minutes to see/do something to keep the kids happy. And drive to the top of the volcano. But don't do it in the morning when you need a reservation and everyone else goes. Do it in the evening and watch the sunset with no clouds, picnic or drive down and eat in Makawao or Paia.

Assuming this was an ankle plating from a twisting ski wreck and the hardware was harshing your skiing/running?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    ..... The ocean is full of surprising amounts of nasty pathogens, like, worse than a hot tub.
    This^^^^
    Especially if it's a warm ocean.

Me personally, nope! I believe there is an adhesive cellophane type material you could apply over it.

If it was ME... for WADING, but NOT SURFING

2 of these 2x3s on the incision (IF you need them to protect the incision from the adhesive)
    https://www.amazon.com/Curad-Small-N...=ASEVS99O6FS73

Then use this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Medi...e+scissors+5.5

To cut 4" x 10" of this over the 2x3s and incision (the area around should be smooth and shaved from the operation so it will seal well)
    https://www.amazon.com/Hypafix%C2%AE...22%2Broll&th=1

Then put this on over your leg:
    https://www.amazon.com/DryPro-Waterp...web_8932810011

Then toss on a water shoe or sandle and gently wade in.

DON'T leave the dressing on all day, wounds like to breath. So remove the dressing after you are done wading with the kiddos, wash site with soap and water, and wipe around the incision with this CHG wipe:
    https://www.amazon.com/Towelettes-An...70_&dpSrc=srch

Again... if it was me. I'm not responsible for your surgical site infection!

I'm just getting over an open wound. Missed a bunch of good days. Was not worth the risk imo especially around here where we've had questionable water at times. Which is everywhere when you have rivers draining into the ocean and septics draining into the river because they're too old and don't work anymore. Nasty.

Flesh Eating Bacteria? Other nasty things which could be big trouble. I'd go for a bag sock thing up to my thigh like they give you to use in the shower, or cut up a fishing wader.. and only go in a little past the knees until the stitches are totally out and those little holes are also healed.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Just rub some dirt in it and give 'er.

just posting so, in the aftermath, the following scenario may play out:

Somebody: Who told you it was OK to surf with this wound?
    OP: Some, uh, guys on the internet.
    Somebody: Anyone specifically?
    OP: I only know his username.....
    Somebody: What username would that be?
    OP: He goes by Ill-Advised Strategy
    Somebody: Hmm. I see.

Trash bag and duct tape. You’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Personally, I'd probably do it. I've never gotten a skin infection from cuts in the water. If you're feeling iffy, there's a liquid bandage available in stores. Not what you want to put over a fresh cut that's trying to heal, but better than getting nasty water in it. Then again, nasty water on Maui isn't that bad. Probably would make the call based on how it looks right before getting in the water.

^ You can see microscopic organisms with your naked eye? Damn!

Lived on maui for 2 years... dont do it..hhhhhaha look at the water? Jaja what a kook....... I see this guy getting haole rot fo sho if jumping in.

POD 10 ortho hardware removal with sutures still in and the incision is not healed? I wouldn't. I am not a surgeon, but I deal with post operative infections. Bad news bears there. The ocean is full of surprising amounts of nasty pathogens, like, worse than a hot tub. Sutures and an unhealed wound with a wound channel going to the bone is potentially asking for a bad couple months and some more OR trips.

Consider getting a large Opsite dressing (breathable transparent occlusive dressing) AND a heavy duty leg condom and then wear a water shoe or sandal over it and you could still wade in the ocean with the kids, but surfing is not a good plan.

Maui has a lot of awesome stuff to do out of the water though... do Hana road and get guide app you'll be able to stop every 15 or 20 minutes to see/do something to keep the kids happy. And drive to the top of the volcano. But don't do it in the morning when you need a reservation and everyone else goes. Do it in the evening and watch the sunset with no clouds, picnic or drive down and eat in Makawao or Paia.

Assuming this was an ankle plating from a twisting ski wreck and the hardware was harshing your skiing/running?
    Thanks. Broke it and dislocated at pennywise show.... Was getting both big screws out through tib fib which was messing up hiking, stairs etc.... Asked to get plate out as well, figured ski tours would be a lot more fun with out it in.

If it was ME... for WADING, but NOT SURFING

2 of these 2x3s on the incision (IF you need them to protect the incision from the adhesive)
    https://www.amazon.com/Curad-Small-N...=ASEVS99O6FS73

Then use this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Medi...e+scissors+5.5

To cut 4" x 10" of this over the 2x3s and incision (the area around should be smooth and shaved from the operation so it will seal well)
    https://www.amazon.com/Hypafix%C2%AE...22%2Broll&th=1

Then put this on over your leg:
    https://www.amazon.com/DryPro-Waterp...web_8932810011

Then toss on a water shoe or sandle and gently wade in.

DON'T leave the dressing on all day, wounds like to breath. So remove the dressing after you are done wading with the kiddos, wash site with soap and water, and wipe around the incision with this CHG wipe:
    https://www.amazon.com/Towelettes-An...70_&dpSrc=srch

Again... if it was me. I'm not responsible for your surgical site infection!
    Thanks again.

Don't do it.

Plate and 12 screws seems odd for a sex change operation.

Damn Stevie, for a geezer ya got the humorous!!

the potential problems aren't worth it. personally i wouldn't even think about it.
    Last edited by wyeaster; 10-17-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Thanks again.
    No problem. Remember, the secondary dressing is just to give you time to get out if the leg cover leaks, not to let you stay out if it does leak.

Fuck, coming from a doctor....don’t be a dumbass. Heal and play more later instead getting your limb amputated.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Those sutures are like highways for bacteria. Steer clear. You seem to like your leg, play it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    ^ You can see microscopic organisms with your naked eye? Damn!
    Sorry, I meant the incision. Crusty or oozing, forget it. Ten days is the earliest I'd even consider it. With reef contact risk, forget it.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

ok ok..... don't let my wife read the comments.

Thanks for the replies. Will stick to the SUP (bandaged up) and maybe playing a bit with the kiddos at mid point of trip 5 days in.

Entire point of this surgery was to get it ready for ski season so will not want any further issues.

Just got sutures out, Dr. said it looks amazing and to keep doing what I am doing. Thanks for advice. Tagaderm film is amazing.

Total Dad Kook but my kids had a blast, couldn't get the 3yr old off the board. Waves were pretty small for most of trip
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BppUtJAn...zFQMESYyrUd40/

Tagaderm is amazing. Great for road rash etc. too.