Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by peace_coast View Post
    Pretty last minute deal between BD and Alpride that made this happen and they had to scramble to get this pack to market for this season. That’s why there’s only one size available and virtually no marketing info out there.

They are ready to go though, should start seeing these in stock on BD’s site and a few major retailers in the next fee weeks. I should have one in hand soon and can post some details then.

These are not replacing BD’s house designed Jetforce system, they are still invested in that tech and actively developing it. I think it just made sense to license this tech and get on board alongside that, as Alpride has the patent on super caps locked down.
    Ah, as with others, I was wondering what was going on with just the one pack available with the new tech. I picked up Pieps 34 pro tour pack I think 2 seasons ago and really like it. Less than 2lbs weight diff, so not a big deal to me yet.

Beyond the USB/AA charging, is there a big difference in the packs?

With the airbag system fully removable, I wonder if they will sell different packs that you can just transfer the unit to. Kinda like abs.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    With the airbag system fully removable, I wonder if they will sell different packs that you can just transfer the unit to. Kinda like abs.
    Coming 2019

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Coming 2019
    Any idea what's in the works? I want to get the pack, but it would suck if in two years we are at version 5 and the new packs are not compatible between generations.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Any idea what's in the works? I want to get the pack, but it would suck if in two years we are at version 5 and the new packs are not compatible between generations.

What I heard from bd about a month ago is that two JetForce packs launch this fall/winter that will ship next year. Called JF Pro and will have interchangeable pack/bag sizes. That’s all I know at this point. Did also just see that the new line of bt pieps are in the website. Wondering if they launched the next year jettforce stuff at OR or if that’s still to be announced

I guess there's no chance for a second shipment this year. MEC sold out

Battery life

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    If anyone has any questions about the E1 Alpride system just ask.
    Hey Spyderjon
    Thanks for your eagerness to help 😊. Have you been able to confirm battery life when either USB- or Battery-powered?
    After a full USB recharge (took me rather 2h than the 20 min indicated in the brochure), I realized it would last only 36 hours until I needed to recharge.
    Haven't yet made a full test with AA batteries yet. They claim 3 months in their brochure, I would like to know if that's consistent with your experience or if you have different numbers to share.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Oisans View Post
    Hey Spyderjon
    Thanks for your eagerness to help ��. Have you been able to confirm battery life when either USB- or Battery-powered?
    After a full USB recharge (took me rather 2h than the 20 min indicated in the brochure), I realized it would last only 36 hours until I needed to recharge.
    Haven't yet made a full test with AA batteries yet. They claim 3 months in their brochure, I would like to know if that's consistent with your experience or if you have different numbers to share.
    Thanks!
    Here's what Scott concerning say concerning their E1 Patrol AP30 pack:
    - It takes 20-40mins to charge the system via the USB lead, depending upon the power source
    - It takes 40 mins for the pair of AA batteries to charge the system
    - Once charged the system will hold its charge for three months with the batteries installed
    - Once charged the system will hold its charge for a minimum of 6 hours without the batteries installed

My personal E1 Patrol AP30 pack is a pre-production pack that Scott UK took delivery of at the end of 2017 that has had 6/7 weeks actual on the mountain use but has been used as a demo pack at two trade shows, a number of ski test events & as a demo pack in my shop. I'd estimate that it has been deployed at least a hundred times, the last time being yesterday as I was demo'ing it to a customer who's pre-ordering one for next season.

My experience, and that of customers who've given me feedback is that the USB charge time is accurate but that with new batteries the battery charge time is less than 40 mins and is often considerably less. I did a couple of timed tests in my shop back when I got the pack from Scott in Feb '18 with brand new batteries I got the green light after just 24/25 mins. I don't know if the battery temperature makes a difference to how fast it will recharge the supercapacitor but IIRC believe Lou Rawson at Wildsnow did test the battery charging time at different temperatures and there was no difference. Scott recommend changing the batteries after each charge but I've had three full charges from one pair of new batteries and from another pair I got two full charges plus an 'orange light' partial charge which still full deployed the airbag no slower than usual.

I've no idea how long my pack will hold its charge without the batteries in as I've never tested it and it has never gone that long without being activated and AFAIK none of my customers have checked. A few customers have done two week trips to Japan/USA and after charging it on arrival it was still fully charged at the end of the trip when they discharged it for the flight home. I'm assuming that they left the batteries in to achieve that.

I'm typing this in my shop so I've just done another timed test on a completely discharged system as it was deployed yesterday without batteries in. To fully charge via the USB connected to my laptop was 90 mins. I then installed brand new Duracell alkaline batteries and deployed the pack and the recharge time from the batteries to getting the orange light was 29 mins and 34 mins to the fully charged green light.

I just noticed this is in the manual.

"LifespanThe JetForce TOUR System is certified for 50 full deployments. With normaluse and proper care the typical lifespan of a JetForce TOUR Backpack is fiveyears. The actual lifespan can be longer or shorter depending on how frequently you use it and on the conditions of its use. The maximum lifespan of aJetForce TOUR Backpack is up to 10 years from the date of manufacture, evenif unused and properly stored.Upon reaching the rated number of deployments or maximum lifespan, thepack must be retired and destroyed to prevent future use.Factors that will reduce the lifespan of a JetForce TOUR Backpack: Falls, abrasion, wear, prolonged exposure to sunlight, salt water/air, corrosive chemicals,harsh environments or misuse of the Inflation Unit or SuperCapacitors."

Sooooo don't practice too much?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Anyone have experience with the Supercapacitor in extra cold/windy conditions (below 20 F)? Curious how the capacitor and battery backup fare as thats the only real technical downside to this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by jharris.sf View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Supercapacitor in extra cold/windy conditions (below 20 F)? Curious how the capacitor and battery backup fare as thats the only real technical downside to this setup.
    Below 20F is extra cold? I ski Tahoe and that's not even that cold...

But from my research of supercaps they are less effected by temp in relation to lion or alkaline batteries, and certainly 20F is not even close to the ends of those operational windows. Also if you were really that concerned about it when you get into the negative Fahrenheit range, just keep an extra AA set in your pants pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Also if you were really that concerned about it when you get into the negative Fahrenheit range, just keep an extra AA set in your pants pocket.
    The AAs are only used to charge up the supercaps. I believe that at low temperatures the internal resistance of supercaps increases (so the output power will decrease). So if that did cause problems keeping them charged up won't help.

On another topic.

Just got mine today. Wanted to try the rope across the chest setup to see if it'd work. Unless you have the cord coming across and forming a pretty low loop it doesn't really seem to work that well. This is mostly because for the length of travel needed to activate the bag, having the pull come from more sideways direction binds up the handle a few MM's before the activation point.

Tried both tying the rope through one of the "holes" on the ends of the T handle and also around the junction of the "T"

Going to see if I can pin point how short I can get the system while the fan is off so I'm not blowing through deployments just fiddling.

Also emailed BD to ask about the 50 deployments limit.

Other Alpride E1 System Packs ? (Larger)

Hey guys,

I have a BD Jetforce Tour w/ the Alpride system that I used this season for day tours in Japan and it was great. I love the pack.

I'm looking to head down to Patagonia in a few months for a week long hut to hut tour, and have realized I'm probably going to need something bigger, but at the same time, I really don't want to give up the safety margin that the airbag adds.

Fortunately, the system is removable, but I have not been able to find other, significantly larger (obviously the Scott 30L is out there) pack that support the system. Ideally I'd like to buy another, larger pack that supports the system and just move the system back and forth depending on the trip (wasn't that the original intent of the removable system?).

Anyone aware of any bigger packs that support the E1 and would be suitable for a week long hut to hut?

Thanks!

mdf9e4, Scott are offering a 40 litre pack for 19/20 and it's available either as a full system (pack + the E1 gubbins) or as a pack only in to which you can install the E1 system from you BD pack. I'm not sure when they'll actually be available but you'll need to find a Scott dealer that has them on order and get one reserved as Scott have already sold out of the 40 litre packs in the UK/EU and I've already pre-sold all of my stock order.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 06-10-2019 at 10:35 AM.

What's the best way to store the backpack? charged with a fresh battery, or remove the battery and let it discharge? Seems like discharge cycles should be avoided...?

What's the best way to store the backpack? charged with a fresh battery, or remove the battery and let it discharge? Seems like discharge cycles should be avoided...?
    Just remove the batteries. No need to discharge/deploy etc, just leave it. Then recharge from the mains when needed again. Any residual charge left in the system just means a faster recharge. And replace the batteries (with fresh ones).

But I wonder, if it wouldn't be better to keep it fully charged throughout it's lifetime.

But I wonder, if it wouldn't be better to keep it fully charged throughout it's lifetime.
    I do during the season but in the off season I don't bother. No reason why you couldn't though.

A capacitor's biggest enemy is heat, so yeah, charge/no charge during storage ... whatever suits your fancy.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Anyone seen much on these? Jetforce Ultralight - Total weight with cartridges is 1991-grams
    https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...g.html#start=1

No a frame carry so it can be deployed when hiking. Seems like 900 with the canisters. Its Alpride 2.0, not the strap on system of the other BD bags.