Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BD "Jetforce" now is the Alpride E1 Supercapacitor System

Is it just me or did this not show up in any media of the outdoor shows in the last year? Cool to see that someone besides Scott will be putting out a super capacitor bag.

Volume : S/M 24L (1465 cu in) M/L 26L (1587 cu in)
    Average Stock Weight : S/M 2.53 kg (5 lb 9 oz) M/L 2.63 kg (5 lb 13 oz)

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...81324_cfg.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JetForce26_Deployed.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	251348
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 10-17-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Sweet.

No, not just you. I've been thinking about buying one for a while and was watching closely for the gen2. This is the first I've seen of it.

Looks like Lou mentioned a rumor in passing in January:
    "At the Scott booth. Expect to see this technology used in other brands once Scott’s one-year exclusive sunsets. We heard a rumor that Alpride is in negotiations with Black Diamond,for example. Makes sense, as comparing an 8 pound Jetforce to this, something like seeing the writing on the wall? Of course Jetforce is available now, not next season — I’ll give it that!"
    https://www.wildsnow.com/23872/alpri...pack-rucksack/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Interesting that on their site they're only showing the Alpride on the 26L version (which is a new volume, IIRC, used to be different). And not the bigger packs or the Pieps versions. I assume the others will come later. I wouldn't think it would make a ton of sense to just use it on one pack volume.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I hope they redesigned the deployment mechanism considering my gen 1 bag worked all of one time and then I could never get it to deploy again. It was also really heavy - but looks like they made the gen 2 a bit lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    my gen 1 bag worked all of one time and then I could never get it to deploy again.
    eek. did you ever warranty it?

I hope they redesigned the deployment mechanism considering my gen 1 bag worked all of one time and then I could never get it to deploy again. It was also really heavy - but looks like they made the gen 2 a bit lighter?
    Deployment mechanism shown in one of the photos on BD's sight. Totally different.

It's quite a bit lighter too. Looks like 1.5-2 pounds.

Well the avy bag/ trigger/ inflation unit isn't a BD designed part so really they're just the soft parts designer and importer. I really hope Lou/WS does a shoot out between the Scott one (which he got a proto) and this one.

I think they had to use the whole Alpride system, not only the capacitor. Guess the whole mechanism is developed by Alpride. But wtf is that design... Looks like a laptop backpack. And also Scott is 100$ cheaper

Oh yeah, didn't mean to suggest that it was just replacing the battery. Changed the title...

I sell the Scott E1 pack in the UK and was under the impression that BD wouldn't be selling the E1 system until the 18/19 season. I've had a Scott pre-production pack for a while and used it for a few weeks at the end of last season plus it's been deployed many many times in my shop.

After first seeing the pack at the UK trade show back in Jan I decided that this was the only avi pack I'd be ordering in for this season, even though they're 35% dearer than the various gas packs so the stock cost is significantly greater, especially as I decided to double my usual stock holding. The E1 system in the UK/EU is quite a bit cheaper than the BD & Arc' battery powered packs.

Anyway my stock arrived earlier this week but I'd already pre-sold the lot. I've luckily managed to get another four coming early Dec but I've sold one of those today and Scott UK/EU are not completely sold out until next season. I've got a customer who's bro is a bike designer for Scott so he gets their 'family/staff deal' but because all their production is sold out he's missed out.

Looking at the instructions link on the BD page I can see that BD are using the full/complete E1 system and just providing the actual pack. The Scott pack is their excellent AP 30 pack (30 usable litres) with a few 'frilly bits' removed to drop the weight about 100g from the weight of their proven AP 30 pack that houses their alternative Alpride twin gas cylinder system.

If anyone has any questions about the E1 Alpride system just ask. Here's a vid of a customer of mine deploying the pack at a recent test event:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Boqoi6zl...thepisteoffice
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 10-17-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Hmm not as much weight savings as i'd hoped. Mammut (and ortovox) still leading the weight reduction race it seems? Or does anybody know another ~30L airbag @2kg ?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Hmm not as much weight savings as i'd hoped. Mammut (and ortovox) still leading the weight reduction race it seems? Or does anybody know another ~30L airbag @2kg ?
    The Mammut Light RAS is 2060g but you still need a 300g carbon canister. That puts the new Jetforce fairly close at only 303g more. If you use a refillable canister they weigh in the same. Not bad for a battery/supercapacitor bag.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    eek. did you ever warranty it?
    Yeah, Backcountry took it back no problem.

Honestly, even if it worked, it was pretty heavy. I’d probably only want to use it heli or cat skiing.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Jf pro w interchangeable system is said to ship next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bfly View Post
    The Mammut Light RAS is 2060g but you still need a 300g carbon canister. That puts the new Jetforce fairly close at only 303g more. If you use a refillable canister they weigh in the same. Not bad for a battery/supercapacitor bag.
    From the (swiss) mammut website: Gewicht mit Airbag-System und Carbon Kartusche [g]2060
    that means 2060 g including carbon cartridge.

Any other details? I really like my BD Saga 40L but it's sooo heavy. I wish I could remove battery sometime

1200 USD?? The Scott E1 has a lot more features and costs 880 Euros!
    Black pack looks nice, but no A-frame / compression straps is disappointing.
    US only product?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghini View Post
    US only product?
    Probably has to do with Alpride licensing.

What's the ski carry system? Looks like there's one velcro loop for diagonal, but it also looks really small. Definitely doesn't appear to be any side/A-frame option.

Damn, did the bd saga go way up in price this season? The Scott is way cheaper.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I like the 2 pound weight savings over the original jet force. moving in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    What's the ski carry system? Looks like there's one velcro loop for diagonal, but it also looks really small. Definitely doesn't appear to be any side/A-frame option.
    I'm sure I've seen a few airbag packs with A-frame carry but has anyone actually tried deploying an airbag with skis strapped to the sides?

The cost and the weight of the current Mammuts have me leaning that way, especially since I could swap the airbag between a few different pack bodies based on my use any specific day. The Dakine packs that use the Mammut system look good too.

Pretty last minute deal between BD and Alpride that made this happen and they had to scramble to get this pack to market for this season. That’s why there’s only one size available and virtually no marketing info out there.

They are ready to go though, should start seeing these in stock on BD’s site and a few major retailers in the next fee weeks. I should have one in hand soon and can post some details then.

These are not replacing BD’s house designed Jetforce system, they are still invested in that tech and actively developing it. I think it just made sense to license this tech and get on board alongside that, as Alpride has the patent on super caps locked down.

Quote Originally Posted by peace_coast View Post
    Pretty last minute deal between BD and Alpride that made this happen and they had to scramble to get this pack to market for this season. That’s why there’s only one size available and virtually no marketing info out there.

They are ready to go though, should start seeing these in stock on BD’s site and a few major retailers in the next fee weeks. I should have one in hand soon and can post some details then.

These are not replacing BD’s house designed Jetforce system, they are still invested in that tech and actively developing it. I think it just made sense to license this tech and get on board alongside that, as Alpride has the patent on super caps locked down.

I thought the same. Saw a video on youtube where scott rep was very confident saying that scott is only brand offering this system this year, and they are very proud of this blah blah blah. Really hope BD will have more backpacks next year, I love my Saga 40L but it's really heavy

Quote Originally Posted by peace_coast View Post

Ahhhh. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the background. Interested to read your thoughts when you get one.