Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Patagonia R1 pullover

I like to ski with lots of light layers under a hardshell, than an insulated coat. Usually, unless it is really cold, under a gore*tex Pro shell, I wear a wicking base layer like Arcteryx Rho, Patagonia capilene or IceBreaker 260 with a mid-layer of either merino or waffled fleece. I have always liked the Arcteryx Delta AR. They have been discontinued and mine are getting very old. Today, I saw a Patagonia R1 pullover for less than $80. The inside waffle fleece looks good, if not a bit flimsy, but I'm not so sure about the outside material. It is almost "shell-like".
    Anyone wear R1 for skiing? Thoughts?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I love my Arc’teryx Delta AR, I’m sad to hear it’s discontinued. The R1 pullover is not like the Arc'teryx Delta AR, the closest thing would be the Patagonia R2.

The R1 is a cool piece though, I’ve got one - it has kind of a smooth outer surface, but it’s lighter than the Delta AR.

I have three midlayers I wear for all of my skiing before May 1:
    Patagonia R1 hoody
    Patagonia Capilene 4 ("expedition weight"/"thermal weight") hoody
    Patagonia Capilene 4 ("expedition weight"/"thermal weight") onesie

I wear a synthetic T-shirt (e.g. Capilene 1 or generic polypro) underneath. For touring, I wear a Houdini/windshirt over the midlayer, then put on a hardshell or puffy for the way down. For resort, no Houdini, yes hardshell.

The R1 is great, but fairly warm for many PNW touring days. Also my particular R1 doesn't have that much room in the shoulders and rips my pit hairs out. Cap 4 onesie is the most comfortable (wear it almost every single resort day and most touring days), but hardest to poop with. I recommend getting fully naked when needed; you can't be too careful!

I used to be a all wool guy, base and mid layer, but the R1 really turned me on to a wool base, synthetic mid.

Great product.

I've owned several R1 hooded pullovers. It's varied over the years in details and perhaps cut. It's generally been trim, but there've been variations at the waist and the cuffs - some years have had thinner fleece (R.5 from memory) at those locations for trimmer layering. It's a nice piece for touring, in part because of the deep neck zipper (it's deeper than the non-hooded pullover I think). The necks taller on the hooded pullover too. The gridded fleece has had a tendency to tear on the gridlines, ime. If you are looking at the non-hooded R1 pullover, it's pretty basic. Not as nice as the deadbird delta. not a shell type fabric at all. If you are wearing it as a base layer or a next to base layer, it'll stink. Badly.

I can't compare to the Delta AR but the there is nothing shell like about the R1. The outer face is smooth but it's still just a fleece and offers no weather blocking properties at all.

It's a very nice piece, but I run pretty warm and the R1 is almost always too warm for me.

Patagonia R1 pullover

Patagonia has a new R1 “hardface” line I believe. Looks interesting for a shoulder season or fair weather touring piece.

I wear a regular full zip R1 as a mid layer almost every day over a wicking t-shirt or lightweight merino LS and it works for me. Not sure about the new textiles though. Looks interesting though.

The R1 TechFace has a smooth, thin, softshell like exterior and grid style interior. Which is nice for blocking some wind, because the original R1 is just fleece that lets wind blow right through.

While skiing I wear the original R1 as a midlayer under a shell or softshell because it's warm, breathes well and helps with moisture transport. Otherwise, it's great for the versatility. Just bought the TechFace version with a hood, love it so far

Can't speak to the new R1, but I like the old one. Warm, light, compressible. Down side (which is also a upside) is it has absolutely no wind blocking ability. If worn under something with good windproofing it is super warm, but if the outer layer is leaking, it gets quite cold. All this means it breaths really, really well.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    (it's deeper than the non-hooded pullover I think)
    My ~10-12 YO R1 PO has a super deep zip. I bet they're the same.

It's that old and still holding up because I tend to just wear a wool baselayer under a shell so much of the time skiing in CA. Often even storm skiing. So the R1 rarely gets used, even though I like it quite a bit.

I also snagged a BD CoEfficient Hoody a couple seasons ago. I dig that one too, although the lower torso pooches out a bit oddly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Can't speak to the new R1, but I like the old one. Warm, light, compressible. Down side (which is also a upside) is it has absolutely no wind blocking ability. If worn under something with good windproofing it is super warm, but if the outer layer is leaking, it gets quite cold. All this means it breaths really, really well.
    +1. Deep zipper means it dumps heat well too. Only downside for me is it smells awful after an hour. That just means it can't go from trailhead to bar/restaurant. Otherwise perfect for its intended use. Windblockage would be great, although it appears they've added a model that covers that (at a minor weight premium, 1.25 ounces).

R1 is a great piece. Very versatile, especially for mixes of output activities and weather. It can be worn next to skin or as a mid layer, and it functions quite well as either.

Next to skin for running in shoulder season, as a baselayer beneath a softshell during winter for touring. Over a baselayer for inbounds midlayer duty or touring during springtime in just a baselayer and the r1

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    R1 is a great piece. Very versatile, especially for mixes of output activities and weather. It can be worn next to skin or as a mid layer, and it functions quite well as either. Next to skin for running in shoulder season, as a baselayer beneath a softshell during winter for touring. Over a baselayer for inbounds midlayer duty or touring during springtime in just a baselayer and the r1
    +1

I have an older R1 hoody which is an amazing piece. I mostly use it as a midlayer over a lightweight (or occasionally midweight) base layer. Due to the hood I mostly use it for running in <35deg weather or climbing activities. I think it would function very well for you, but that said you can purchase a used R1 on ebay or another brand of Polartec gridfleece that uses the same fabric for significantly less. However, I find I get nearly the same performance (if not the same fit) from a simple REI 100wt fleece LS shirt, which I have been using much more over the last year. 100wt polartec fleece isn't the new/sexy tech fabric, but it just works so darn well, especially when things get really wet. I also find that the Patagonia Piton pullover is about the same warmth and breathability as the R1 but a little more comfortable next to skin.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    +1

I have an older R1 hoody which is an amazing piece. I mostly use it as a midlayer over a lightweight (or occasionally midweight) base layer. Due to the hood I mostly use it for running in <35deg weather or climbing activities. I think it would function very well for you, but that said you can purchase a used R1 on ebay or another brand of Polartec gridfleece that uses the same fabric for significantly less. However, I find I get nearly the same performance (if not the same fit) from a simple REI 100wt fleece LS shirt, which I have been using much more over the last year. 100wt polartec fleece isn't the new/sexy tech fabric, but it just works so darn well, especially when things get really wet. I also find that the Patagonia Piton pullover is about the same warmth and breathability as the R1 but a little more comfortable next to skin.
    The 100wt fleece rocks. I have two pair of the NorthFace T100 pants, and I wear the heck out of them, along with the top as a mid layer. My formula for many years was Patagonia Capeline base layer, T100 top and pants, and the Patagonia Primo Un-Insulated GoreTex pants and jacket (got them on ski patrol discount).

I am going on my 16th season with the Primo Shell and they are still kickass. The Capeline I have replaced with wool base layers that never stink, and I have a wool mid layer top for when I don't need the fleece.

I pull out the fleece when the high is negative F, otherwise, I am rolling with just the base layer and the shell. In between temps, some wool underwear and the wool mid layer. Super warm temps, ultralight wool top and wool underwear.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Yesterday, I picked it up, because I couldn't just let it sit there for $75.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Yesterday, I picked it up, because I couldn't just let it sit there for $75.
    Good deal. I grabbed a clearance T100 top from Northface for $40. Fresh loft for the season! My pants are still in good shape...but I can't stop wearing them around the house all winter.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

If you can find a Melanzana hoody go for it. Light, versatile, warm and comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    The R1 TechFace has a smooth, thin, softshell like exterior and grid style interior. Which is nice for blocking some wind, because the original R1 is just fleece that lets wind blow right through.

While skiing I wear the original R1 as a midlayer under a shell or softshell because it's warm, breathes well and helps with moisture transport. Otherwise, it's great for the versatility. Just bought the TechFace version with a hood, love it so far
    My Marmot Nabu neo shell is starting to wear out after 5 years

http://blistergearreview.com/feature...techface-hoody

so I'm think of this ^^ to replace it and hoping its more soft shell exteriour layer like than mid layer, can anyone speak to this specific piece, how about sizing, I'm 5'8' 160 pretty slim ?

I had a mtn hardwear softshell that let too much wind thru and thats not what I want
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I like to ski with lots of light layers under a hardshell, than an insulated coat. Usually, unless it is really cold, under a gore*tex Pro shell, I wear a wicking base layer like Arcteryx Rho, Patagonia capilene or IceBreaker 260 with a mid-layer of either merino or waffled fleece. I have always liked the Arcteryx Delta AR. They have been discontinued and mine are getting very old. Today, I saw a Patagonia R1 pullover for less than $80. The inside waffle fleece looks good, if not a bit flimsy, but I'm not so sure about the outside material. It is almost "shell-like".
    Anyone wear R1 for skiing? Thoughts?
    Yeah, my go to for 20-35F days here in CO has been a Gore shell with an R1 and short/long sleeve thin base layer underneath. My first R1 is about 10yrs old; still fine, but got a little snug over the years. Just got a new one last year - seems like a smidge larger/longer in fit, but same fabric and quality as the older version.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    My Marmot Nabu neo shell is starting to wear out after 5 years

http://blistergearreview.com/feature...techface-hoody

so I'm think of this ^^ to replace it and hoping its more soft shell exteriour layer like than mid layer, can anyone speak to this specific piece, how about sizing, I'm 5'8' 160 pretty slim ?

I had a mtn hardwear softshell that let too much wind thru and thats not what I want
    Neoshell is a more robust material than the techface. Techface is like a smooth surface fleece, with grid backing, that blocks some wind and has dwr. I'm 6' 2" 175lbs and the jacket's sizing is weird. The body and sleeves of a medium fit me well, while the hem was stretched to it's limits. The medium was unwearable. Tried on the large and the sleeves are long, the body is a little baggy and the hood is ridiculously huDge. I bought it anyway. It's soft and comfortable and... it's an R1 with some wind blocking capabilities. I'll use it often in cooler weather, 50s, down to single digits if I'm active and it's not crazy windy.

Your sizing would be a medium or small.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Neoshell is a more robust material than the techface. Techface is like a smooth surface fleece, with grid backing, that blocks some wind and has dwr. I'm 6' 2" 175lbs and the jacket's sizing is weird. The body and sleeves of a medium fit me well, while the hem was stretched to it's limits. The medium was unwearable. Tried on the large and the sleeves are long, the body is a little baggy and the hood is ridiculously huDge. I bought it anyway. It's soft and comfortable and... it's an R1 with some wind blocking capabilities. I'll use it often in cooler weather, 50s, down to single digits if I'm active and it's not crazy windy.

Your sizing would be a medium or small.
    ok I found this ^^ piece at the local dealer , no smalls but i got to try on a medium, I think I would like to try on a small cuz yeah the sleeves were long and the body a little baggy at 5"8" 160lb in a Medium, the patagucci size finder software sez i have a 60% chance of taking a small

R1 is definatley is a bit lighter than the neo shell and so i have to decide if thats what I want,

it does strike me as being better for doing more active things than the NEO

ok I found this ^^ piece at the local dealer , no smalls but i got to try on a medium, I think I would like to try on a small cuz yeah the sleeves were long and the body a little baggy at 5"8" 160lb in a Medium, the patagucci size finder software sez i have a 60% chance of taking a small

R1 is definatley is a bit lighter than the neo shell and so i have to decide if thats what I want,

It seems like more of an uphill jacket instead of a downhill jacket... unless it's a sunny, unseasonably warm day in the mountains.

OK so just to give the next guy a point of reference I ordered up a small online

5'8" /160 lb/ broad shoulders/skinny waist and the Small fits way better, the sleeves are still on the long side, big pockets, good sized outside breast pocket, be nice if it had an inside breast pocket but I can live with only one

it feels pretty light like it should be good to wear for working hard

OK so just to give the next guy a point of reference I ordered up a small online

5'8" /160 lb/ broad shoulders/skinny waist and the Small fits way better, the sleeves are still on the long side, big pockets, good sized outside breast pocket, be nice if it had an inside breast pocket but I can live with only one

it feels pretty light like it should be good to wear for working hard
    Will it be your downhill jacket, Nabu replacement, as well? It's feels so lightweight.

No R1 will be an uphill jacket probably better in that app than the Nabu was, Neo was almost never for alpine skiing

It was strictly uphill maybe alpine sometimes in the spring with layers underneath but Neo shell is not something I would recommmend around here for alpine skiing

i dress entirely different for alpine where I'm either giving it for 5 minutes or sitting on the chair for 15 min

SO I don't use softshell for alpine usually just any old gortex/insulated with big pockets