Page 188 of 235 FirstFirst ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 5864
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Seems unusual that several of the victims were harvard grads, or had connections to the school.

RIP to the victim, and my condolences Ito his family and friends.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Excerpt from my ESAW airbag presentation:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  82.2 KB
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

So attending Harvard is a legit heuristics trap?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    In all seriousness, educational and professional attainment can be a huge safety problem for all sorts of backcountry issues, as recreationalists can have such a sense of hubris despite being ill-prepared for the backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    Skiing Raymond cataract alone is questionable judgement imo. But at least they died in the mtns doing what they love... right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being swept over a steep pitch by an avalanche and then being buried alive all while knowing that what just happened is 100% my own fault ... would not be doing what I love.

That’s terrible news. Skiing alone in avy terrain with a beacon is basically hoping for a body recovery. Please be careful out there and bring a friend.
    Yes, but...Dale Atkins at ESAW one year had an especially great presentation with one quote that I always remember:
    "When in avalanche terrain, you have a responsibility to be searchable and to be able to search."

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Even setting aside whether the beacon-wearing solo skier who died in the avalanche yesterday in Raymond Cataract was the same beacon-wearing solo skier whom I had tried to dissuade a few hours earlier from his plans of solo skiing Raymond Cataract [name has not yet been released to public, so I have no idea]
    Jesus. Total mind f*ck on that one. At least you tried.

Sad news indeed. That ranger recount on Instagram was rough to watch

NE Roll Call 18/19

I was across the street and it was a most amazing day on the lift served. Met several folks who had planned on tucks but passed due to the danger and hit the cat instead. Good call on many levels, the snow was so good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Being swept over a steep pitch by an avalanche and then being buried alive all while knowing that what just happened is 100% my own fault ... would not be doing what I love.
    I totally agree and was mostly being facetious, but we do often hear that classic refrain after someone dies due to poor judgement...

I think the cabin could be a light that attracts the moths.

This ^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Very sad. I'm no one to judge backcountry decision making, but the loss of anyone skiing under any circumstances shakes me up. Sorry to any and all connected to this tragedy.

In all seriousness, educational and professional attainment can be a huge safety problem for all sorts of backcountry issues, as recreationalists can have such a sense of hubris despite being ill-prepared for the backcountry.
    Veritas is Latin for cocksure?

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    I totally agree and was mostly being facetious, but we do often hear that classic refrain after someone dies due to poor judgement...

I was hoping that was your intent, as I too can't stand that classic refrain.
    (My preference is to die as my father did, in his 80s, unconscious in a hospital room, with his wife of many decades by his side, and his offspring some combination of having just visited him and/or rushing back home for the funeral.)

Veritas is Latin for cocksure?
    Yep:
    https://ell.stackexchange.com/questi...ard-man/113106

I was up there yesterday. It was a great day until about 4:00PM when Robrox and I made it down to the bottom of the Sherburne to see a Medivac Copter, Ambulance, and fire engine, with all the crews just hanging out, no sense of urgency... seemed to my untrained eyes to be a sure sign that something bad had happened up there.

Rob and I made some decisions yesterday that I really started to question when I saw the initial reports of a death "in Tuckerman Ravine." Now that I have more info, I feel a lot better about our decision making processes, and the lines we skied. I think we were well on the "safe" side of the situation yesterday... but you can't ever know 100% for sure if you were smart or just lucky, can you? It's a lot to think about.

+1 on hating the phrase "Died doing what he loved." Skiing is not worth dying for. People who say this seriously are just trying to avoid assessing their behavior and its potential deadly consequences, IMO.

Jonathan S - I was the other guy with Rob when you stopped to ask what we were doing on the Graham Link. Good to kinda meet you. Helluvan effort you put up there yesterday. I just followed you on Strava.

I also ski solo backcountry but am more conservative, carry a beacon and I have a Garmin inreach.
    Why solo? Because it's hard to find partners. I and other skiers are protective of their stash or worried about being held back on the ups or down by another lack of skills or fitness.
    I hope we all learn from this tragedy and one way is to create a good system for partnering up.
    I did aiare I partially to help me find partners. I also find partners through meeting people through mutual friends so someone can attest to my level of fitness and ski.
    I think some system of receiving reviews or ratings from people with whom one has skied would be good. Not exactly sure how, but would like to think about it.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I also ski solo backcountry but am more conservative, carry a beacon and I have a Garmin inreach.
    Why solo? Because it's hard to find partners. I and other skiers are protective of their stash or worried about being held back on the ups or down by another lack of skills or fitness.
    I hope we all learn from this tragedy and one way is to create a good system for partnering up.
    I did aiare I partially to help me find partners. I also find partners through meeting people through mutual friends so someone can attest to my level of fitness and ski.
    I think some system of receiving reviews or ratings from people with whom one has skied would be good. Not exactly sure how, but would like to think about it.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    Someone is always the fastest and someone always the slowest.

It's all good as long as the slowest has the best weed.

The guys I've toured with who are the fastest are also the most willing to wait up and share wisdom and experience. And smoke my weed.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    The guys I've toured with who are the fastest are also the most willing to wait up and share wisdom and experience. And smoke my weed.
    It's a shame neither one of us can cross the border because you sound like fun to ride with

I'll leave the discussion about the Ramond Cataract avvy to y'all. I much appreciate the observations thereupon.

My little test pit in GOS revealed that slalomming around the larger patches of windslab and sking the glazed sugar of the sun warmed bed surface was the way to go. (The thin wind slabs, 1-8 inches, could easily fracture and were not well bonded to the crust. That 6-8 inches of strudy crust was sitting on 4-6 inches of sugared snow, which sat on a broken crust layer. 2-4 inches thick. Having learned what I wanted, I stopped there and refilled the pit.)

Bluebird at start with a few whispy clouds later on. The crust picked up a reflective sun crust that peeled away beautifully on each turn. The thin slabs broke off corners and edges but didn't cut loose.

The skinny gully next to #1 had, on many previous attempts, kicked my butt. Not so yesterday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	961_Tracks.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	564.3 KB 
ID:	278194

We went over to Hermit Lake through the Graham Link Carwash. Andrew took a run up and down Hilman's while I waited on the sunny deck at Hojo's. The Sherby was very nice, fully covered too. One note, the wave just after Dead Man's Turn is getting big, take it easy off that turn.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    It's a shame neither one of us can cross the border because you sound like fun to ride with
    haha, the border bums me out man, but some day I'll have to cross over the visit the bottlezone. Terrain is mostly better down there anyway. Soup is 4 sure better.
    27° 18°

NE Roll Call 18/19

Thanks for the beta, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    It's all good as long as the slowest has the best weed.
    I’ll be your huckleberry

Tour of VT this week. Worked out pretty effin’ well!

Monday:

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	772.1 KB 
ID:	278207

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	278208

Wednesday:

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg 
Views:	84 
ID:	278209

Thursday:

Name:	IMG_1161.jpg 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	278210

Name:	IMG_1163.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	278211

Name:	IMG_1179.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	278212

‘Tis the end of my eastern ski season. WA and AK for the grand finale.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    Tour of VT this week. Worked out pretty effin’ well!

Monday:

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	772.1 KB 
ID:	278207

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg 
Views:	89 
ID:	278208

Wednesday:

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg 
ID:	278209

Thursday:

Name:	IMG_1161.jpg 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	278210

Name:	IMG_1163.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	278211

Name:	IMG_1179.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	278212

‘Tis the end of my eastern ski season. WA and AK for the grand finale.

I’ll take Thursday, please. Nice pics!

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Jesus. Total mind f*ck on that one. At least you tried.

Sad news indeed. That ranger recount on Instagram was rough to watch
    Maybe I should have spent more time trying instead of responding to my partner's intro of him as "[Name] here has flexible objectives for the day." with my usual semi-joke about how the prior day we had met our two objectives of "nobody dying or being seriously injured" and "no major gear breakages or loss" with bonus points for all partners still being on speaking terms with each other.
    Also quite possible that we were the last people he ever spoke with (unless he talked with people who arrived later in the Fan after his first lap in Central).