Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Looks like easy hiking for turns

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 8.51.19 AM.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	489.6 KB 
ID:	252722
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Looks like a fine opening day at the Cat https://www.skiwildcat.com/web-cams/

Name:	Wildcat_102718.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	252753
    Last edited by DaveTV; 10-27-2018 at 11:40 AM.

32` bob snow, rain, sleet ect

Name:	20181027_143740.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	557.2 KB 
ID:	252760
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Just got a text from friends skinning the loaf. 6” of fresh at the top of horseshoe

1.5 inches of glop here in Hartstock, UV, VT, USA.

If anyone wants a pair of big, cheap, 192 cm Atomic Atlas pow skis without bindings, I'm looking to get $90 or $75 + a 4 pack for these. Drilled twice, overall great shape. Pick up or meet up in the Montpelier/Barre area. I'll also trade for a similar touring type ski in the 185cm range.

Name:  00r0r_41DZGl6HFos_1200x900.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  01111_hQCcTHGM1R6_1200x900.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  38.8 KB

Can anyone comment on the various AIARE level 1 providers in New England? Below is a quick summary of what I found on the AIARE website. Are they all pretty reputable and similar experience-wise or have folks found one or two of these stand out from the rest? Petra Cliffs caught my eye as I suspect most of our skiing (initially at least) will be in VT.

Would most likely be taking this with my wife and am also looking for an "intro to bc" type course which it seems like most of these providers offer. Ideally I'd try to do a 1-2 day intro course and then follow it up with a level 1.

Northeast Mountaineering - $370
    Mt Washington

EMS - $375
    Mt Washington

Acadia Mountain Guides - $395
    Mt Washington
    Chic-Chocs
    Sugarloaf

Petra Cliffs - $418
    Smuggler's Notch
    Bolton Valley

International Mountain Climbing School - $425
    Mt Washington

Synnott Mountain Guides - $400
    Mt Washington

Chauvin Guides - $350
    Mt Washington
    Last edited by nfaust; 10-30-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nfaust View Post
    Can anyone comment on the various AIARE level 1 providers in New England? Below is a quick summary of what I found on the AIARE website. Are they all pretty reputable and similar experience-wise or have folks found one or two of these stand out from the rest? Petra Cliffs caught my eye as I suspect most of our skiing (initially at least) will be in VT.

Would most likely be taking this with my wife and am also looking for an "intro to bc" type course which it seems like most of these providers offer. Ideally I'd try to do a 1-2 day intro course and then follow it up with a level 1.

Mt Washington

EMS - $375
    Mt Washington

Mt Washington
    Chic-Chocs
    Sugarloaf

Petra Cliffs - $418
    Smuggler's Notch
    Bolton Valley

Mt Washington

Mt Washington
    I am thinking NE mountaineering Jan 11 weekend. It includes housing. Waiting on a few things to pan out before I register. I am in NH so it's also close. If anybody is doing that one let me know. I have heard good things about that school.

Sent from a friggin hundert foot cliff!
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Mt Washington
    Chic-Chocs
    Sugarloaf
    Bet they are all great, but I did mine with Jon at Acadia MG. Excellent. Bring warm clothes; you'll be outside regardless of temps unless there's lightning in close proximity.

Coming here with a question I just posted in Tech Talk. Anyone want to recommended a top notch bootfiiter? Running into a few issues during my search for a new 50/50 boot, biggest unfortunately be local inventory. If you are curious https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...66#post5483366
    So far I've talked with the fitter at Allspeed in Portland and Stan & Dan's in Conway. Any input would be appreciated. Going to need some work done for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmells View Post
    Coming here with a question I just posted in Tech Talk. Anyone want to recommended a top notch bootfiiter? Running into a few issues during my search for a new 50/50 boot, biggest unfortunately be local inventory. If you are curious https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...66#post5483366
    So far I've talked with the fitter at Allspeed in Portland and Stan & Dan's in Conway. Any input would be appreciated. Going to need some work done for sure....
    Try PJ at Racestock in Waterbury: http://www.racestocksports.com
    Went there last year and ended up with some XT Freetours in 24.5. He knows his shit. He's a character. He is towards the racer/performance fit of things but can't hurt to text him and see what he thinks.

31` 1/2" of fresh bob, get it before the rain!
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Other option is to go through a place like back country that has a good return policy. Shop and try on boots until you find one you like, return the rest. Then go have your boot work done. K is the most experienced boot fitter at Allspeed.

Mt Washington

EMS - $375
    Mt Washington

Mt Washington
    Chic-Chocs
    Sugarloaf

Petra Cliffs - $418
    Smuggler's Notch
    Bolton Valley

Mt Washington

Mt Washington
    Marc Chauvin is another great teacher/guide. The only other program that comes close to his experience level is Synnott.

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    Try PJ at Racestock in Waterbury: ahttp://www.racestocksports.com
    Went there last year and ended up with some XT Freetours in 24.5. He knows his shit. He's a character. He is towards the racer/performance fit of things but can't hurt to text him and see what he thinks.
    +1. There's a reason racers will travel hours to have him fit their boots.

If you have a local bootfitter you know to be good, they may be more convenient (especially if one visit isn't sufficient), but if you're going to travel, make an appointment with PJ. If you're trying to find out if a local bootfitter is good, try checking with the local race coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Marc Chauvin is another great teacher/guide. The only other program that comes close to his experience level is Synnott.
    Thanks good to know - he wasn't listed on the AIARE site. I'll edit my original post to include him in case anyone else is looking to take a course.

I really suggest going local for the purchase and fitting so you can go back if necessary.
    For years I would buy a few pairs online and keep the one I liked best.
    Last spring I tried on boots locally and it was worth it. I went down a whole size and can still go back for a little grind or punch. I went to Sport Thoma in Lincoln NH. There is a guy in Plymouth NH that is highly recommended called Feet First.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    If you have a local bootfitter you know to be good, they may be more convenient (especially if one visit isn't sufficient), but if you're going to travel, make an appointment with PJ. If you're trying to find out if a local bootfitter is good, try checking with the local race coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    10 days on this thread and still
    no fuckin’ soup...... what gives?
    Yeah, you know what's that called when they do that in there? It's called a Soup Kitchen. It's a pretty rough stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Other option is to go through a place like back country that has a good return policy. Shop and try on boots until you find one you like, return the rest. Then go have your boot work done. K is the most experienced boot fitter at Allspeed.
    This is the current path I'm on. Got 4 different boots coming from Backcountry tomorrow, and Allspeed discovered another one hiding in their inventory that a few people have suggested is worth trying.
    Guess I was just hoping for any firsthand success stories. But yeah, chatted with K and he said he felt he could make things worth if I can manage to get my hands on the right boot.

For the avy question above, Mark Synnot, Marc Chauvin and Jon Tierney are the most experienced guides. If those are your choices and you can swing the time I would definitely go to the Chic Chocs for an avy 1 class.

Having turned down a friend last Wednesday to go to the loaf because I did not believe and then turning down friends for Washington on Saturday because of family commitments, I got out today. Skiing was top to bottom at a closed resort in Maine with full coverage runs and we were the only ones out. Was good to slide on snow. The hoped for sun/warming never came and all the tracks from the warm weekend snow were frozen in place, so the actual sliding had a lot of washboard.

Woho went skiing again!!! Red Sox won the World Series!!!

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	838.5 KB 
ID:	253273

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	253276

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    +1. There's a reason racers will travel hours to have him fit their boots.

+2 I've been visiting PJ for a few years and will keep going back. He prefers texting as a communications mode; just go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I really suggest going local for the purchase and fitting so you can go back if necessary.
    For years I would buy a few pairs online and keep the one I liked best.
    Last spring I tried on boots locally and it was worth it. I went down a whole size and can still go back for a little grind or punch. I went to Sport Thoma in Lincoln NH. There is a guy in Plymouth NH that is highly recommended called Feet First.
    Paul Richelson at Feet First. He's a wizard. My dad still speaks in reverent tones about what Paul did for him. Still skiing at 79.

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    Try PJ at Racestock in Waterbury: http://www.racestocksports.com
    https://richelsonsfeetfirst.com
    Or Benny at Stowe

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

been going to PJ for close to 20 years,if you have problem feet or foot as i do he is the man to see.i think he has fitted my last 5 pairs,and after the first fit i never have had to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by scharny View Post
    Let's play a drinking game. Every time someone posts the conditions or photos of Mt. Washington in this thread, consume a beer.

Edit: If they post an actual TR from Mt Washington, drink 2 beers.
    Not me, but definitely beer worthy