Page 40 of 235 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 5864
    Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    While I've always dug the place, this is the kind of shit that will make me never want to go back. The god damn local taco place did this when they first opened up over a year ago and I still resent it when my buddies want to go there.

Piss poor.
    Wait. The taco place didn’t allow snowboarders to eat tacos??

^^ Heh...
    Point is, businesses shouldn't be publicly shaming people using their social media outlets. It's poor form at best and fuckin' petty.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    I won't shed a tear when the place goes NELSAP, which I'm convinced will happen in the next 10yrs..adapt or die in the new world order.
    Are we speaking of Mad River?

From a quick Google search, a minutes of a 2017 meeting (not that long ago).

"The financials for February were strong, gross income was 14% over budget and NOI was 38% over budget despite the thaw during President’s day week.
    For the year to date, factoring in the weak January, gross income is 98% of budget and NOI is 90% of budget.
    The line of credit was paid down in February, but given the recent bad years that have depleted our cash and the outlook for March, the current projection is that we’ll have to go back into the line of credit in the spring."

https://www.madriverglen.com/meeting...march-11-2017/

Sounds like you're going to have to wait a bit for that collapse. Financials are sound. A whole lot better than say, Magic, I'll bet.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    So MRG...what in the fuck? They went full retard. Never go full retard.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BrK8j-LF...d=nd7a6ywz5kbi
    That dude is clearly a moron... wants to snowboard on his ski vacation? He should go to Taos with the rest of the sell outs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Rivet isn’t going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    No. Boards are not allowed on the lift. But boarders are welcomed on the Hill. It is safety issue on the single - boarders often caused the chair to derail.
    This is false. Snow boards have never been allowed on the single. I worked in the Valley with 1 of the 2 guys who, as teens, got snow boarding banned.

The story goes that when boards were allowed, they were only allowed on the double. A few kids who grew up skiing there took to the new activity and were progressing quickly. They wanted access to the Single Chair but those in charge claimed a snowboarder could not handle the expert terrain and it would just be too dangerous. They persisted and offered to take a skills evaluation and were confident that they could navigate any terrain a skier could, something we all know to be a fact today.

One day, when the two were really worked up about it, they caught up to Besty down at the Barn while she was doing laundry. They had been hounding her and her patience was short. They began negotiations to again gain access tot he Single when Betsy shut them down with no discussion. Then it happened. The phrase uttered by one of the two young riders that would forever ban snowboards at MRG.

One of the boys looked at Besty and said, "Being a snowboarder at Mad River Glen is like being black in the 50's."

Betsy got REAL mad. Turned on the two and told them that was it. No more. They fled feeling as if they had gone to far. The next day snowboards were banned. The next year Betsy sold the place to a cooperative of Skiers and the ban stands until today. All the other bullshit about the single chair is just that.

Attn Snowboards. The place is over. Hike it before it opens because once the lifts start it's over-run. On any good day the wait for the single is so bad it's actually faster to hike laps on the top 2/3 of the place. They literally could not handle an increase in traffic that allowing the other half of snow sliders would instantly create. The terrain is good, but totally not worth the wait in line having to listen to all the smug chit-chat and you would be hated on by the old goats and who needs that vibe. Move on...

Haha. Funny place, spending over a million to replace a single chair with......a single chair. Get off my lawn and ski it if you can!

Castle Rock is better.

“Ski it if you klan” was one of the replies on instagram. I laughed.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    That is f-ing apt and hilarious!

As far as replacing the single with a single, instead of a double, it was $200,000 more expensive to refurbish the single. The philosophy in keeping it that way, is that it limits skiers on the hill and hence the crowds are kept at the bottom. As far as I can tell, it works pretty well that way, especially since the runs aren't designed to handle the hordes like most places.

MRG is unique and has been around for a long time. Yes, perhaps a bit crusty and there are definitely some smug f's, but you get that everywhere. And if you go midweek, you won't have to wait too long (except big pow days). I've had some of my best days skiing there, but I'm also glad there are other places nearby to enjoy, too. MRG offers a less expensive lift ticket and is a throwback to skiing's early days. I'm glad places like Magic and MRG exist, as they are an alternative to the mega hills, etc. And nothing beats skiing at either one with a bunch of maggots on a great day...

Edit to add, I snowboard, too... but I could care less about it being banned there.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post
    something tells me this is not a straight answer..
    Speaking of derailing... ask BM why minivans are banned from parking along Rt. 17?

AFAIK, DVT has the story correct. Except I had heard the confrontation was at the checkout in a grocery store, but you know how rumors get started...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Speaking of derailing... ask BM why minivans are banned from parking along Rt. 17?

AFAIK, DVT has the story correct. Except I had heard the confrontation was at the checkout in a grocery store, but you know how rumors get started...
    Can confirm. Having spent my college years skiing the place on winter breaks and extended leaves from college, I got to know Betsy fairly well. I do believe it was the grocery store also.
    I will say after a nearly 20 year absence, I am itching to get at least one day in this winter if I can swing a quick trip on a weekend.
    I hope my memories aren't ruined by reality. Like running into an ex-GF that in your mind was good looking and now a dumpy troll or something.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    IDK I think it's an ignorant comment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

[QUOTE=BigDaddy;5526994]Speaking of derailing... ask BM why minivans are banned from parking along Rt. 17?
    [QUOTE]

BM told me that story last week ..the cosmic frkn highway and you're in the thick of it...

neither grew up skiing there

Super info on MRG.. always wondered what the reason and truth was......Well said and Thanks to DVT and Big Daddy..........place is awesome to ski as all have said but not on packed days.....

Hope all are doing well and gettin sum
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    IDK I think it's an ignorant comment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Totally, but that’s what you get when you go fishing for trolls on Instagram
    27° 18°

https://www.adventuresportsnetwork.c...snowboard-ban/

Mad River was the second ski area in the Country to allow snowboarding and yes, they absolutely did ride the single.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    This is false. Snow boards have never been allowed on the single.
    Wrong.

It would be cool to see a mass of splitboards overrun MRG for a day. I just don't really care all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    It would be cool to see a mass of splitboards overrun MRG for a day. I just don't really care all that much.
    That would require the slackers to work hard. Never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    Super info on MRG.. always wondered what the reason and truth was......Well said and Thanks to DVT and Big Daddy..........place is awesome to ski as all have said but not on packed days.....

Hope all are doing well and gettin sum
    Thanks J-man... hope you and fam are doing well, too. Miss seeing you around the fest and hills.

[QUOTE=EarlyWood;5527003][QUOTE=BigDaddy;5526994]Speaking of derailing... ask BM why minivans are banned from parking along Rt. 17?

BM told me that story last week ..the cosmic frkn highway and you're in the thick of it...

[DEEP THOUGHTS] I'm just trying to keep from getting run over... was definitely cosmic with BM, tho. And then this spring with you in Ludlow, too. [DEEP THOUGHTS]

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Wrong.
    ...and this is where those involved (I was not there) claim the BS is. According to my friend, that actually never happened but was used as an excuse. As if a snow boarder could not stand up and one-foot away from the lift. IMO that sounds like BS as I've watched one-footing snowboarders hope and ride all over some gnarly traverses. Who uses their poles when they off load? Me Neither.

Maybe we could solve the mystery here. Clear photo evidence of snowboarders off loading the single? Who's got it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ski2fish4ever View Post
    neither grew up skiing there
    This could be true, might have been at Sugarbush but went to MRG to be allowed to board.

Edit: Just chatted with the guy, he confirms snowboarders never allowed on the Single.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 12-12-2018 at 10:03 AM.