Page 164 of 235 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 5864
    ummm, that one is in maine too
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Great day yesterday morning in the robzone! cannon on wind hold today.
    Regarding the fatality on Friday, the cannonball quad was not running so there was little skier traffic since you had to lap the tram. Not skied off. I don't want to spread rumors, just facts.
    No helmet on dead skier. Injured skier had a helmet,was driven to Lincoln then helicopter to Boston.
    Unfortunate. Still a lot of questions about what happened. Patrol said they are waiting for medical examiner report.
    It was weird skiing there yesterday afternoon at the exact spot where someone had died less than 24 hours prior. Like nothing happened. Most people unaware. cannon has about one fatality a year. Is that typical? How many at killington?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jhyatt; 03-10-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Is that a dolphin turn or a porpoise turn???
    It does look that way, doesn’t it?! It’s just his version of sending it for the boys (or, rather, his big brother and mom and dad)!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    ummm, that one is in maine too
    Ok, I think I'm missing a joke here.

The cannon death is a strange one for sure. Some reports saying he hit the lift also. I don't see many skiing profile out of control, but it is fairly steep right to the maze, so I could see an accident like this happening. Horrible for all involved.

Yesterday sure was a nice day to be out.

NE Roll Call 18/19

Skinned to the high point in town this morning.

About 40” measured half way up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2853.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	273377

The Long Trail is deep.

Name:	IMG_2855.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	273380

Sticky.

Name:	IMG_2890.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	273378

If you ski all the way around the trees, your gonna have a bad time. (No one was hurt in the taking of this pic).

Name:	IMG_2858.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	273379

Time for another lap.

Name:	IMG_2895.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	273381

Ski partner knows nothing of slashing for the ‘gram.

Name:	IMG_2903.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	1,006.4 KB 
ID:	273382

Name:	IMG_2904.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	273383

We needed Goniff, with his fancy new cam, out there to get the star of the show. He caught me saying hi to Benny while I was attending the corral at Magic yesterday.

Name:  IMG_2908.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  134.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

Ski partner knows nothing of slashing for the ‘gram.

Name:	IMG_2903.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	1,006.4 KB 
ID:	273382

Name:	IMG_2904.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	273383
    Such a hack...and he's not spancered by FRS either...

Goniff will likely post some Magic slackcountry stoke later on today in the Magic thread. Finally got to ski a short, sweet shot that Kokomas, non-Mag Bill, and I trimmed last Summer.

Big change in Bolton Valley’s uphill policy for next year. Either a Nordic or Alpine day ticket or season pass required. Cheapest option is their early bird nordic pass at $129.

Big change in Bolton Valley’s uphill policy for next year. Either a Nordic or Alpine day ticket or season pass required. Cheapest option is their early bird nordic pass at $129.
    I’m feeling pretty bitter about this. I usually have nothing bad to say about BV but found myself laughing at their justification where they mention keeping the parking lot maintained. IMO they have the worst maintained parking lot of any ski area in the state.

http://blog.boltonvalley.com/2019/03...1488060006&m=1

Thanks for all the tips on Stowe. Ended up just skiing all over the place in bounds. My 16 y.o. son said it was the best day of skiing he's ever had, so that was cool. Little bit different than Sunapee and Ragged. What a shit-show trying to get out of there though.

I guess GoPro wrist mount is a thing?

Someone sent the waterfall cliff from the highest point and stuck it. Pretty impressive with that flat landing.

NE Roll Call 18/19

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    I’m feeling pretty bitter about this. I usually have nothing bad to say about BV but found myself laughing at their justification where they mention keeping the parking lot maintained. IMO they have the worst maintained parking lot of any ski area in the state.

http://blog.boltonvalley.com/2019/03...1488060006&m=1
    I’m sure as someone that regularly skins there, this would be frustrating. But given that most of the BC area is within the nordic trails system, I can understand why charging makes sense. I mean, you’re supposed to pay even if you are just skiing the Catamount Trail towards Trapps, so why not for everything off of Heavenly Highway?

I’m sure as someone that regularly skins there, this would be frustrating. But given that most of the BC area is within the nordic trails system, I can understand why charging makes sense. I mean, you’re supposed to pay even if you are just skiing the Catamount Trail towards Trapps, so why not for everything off of Heavenly Highway?
    I’ve always seen it as a bit of a gray area at Bolton. The backcountry is all part of the Mansfield State Forest after the conservation effort a few years back. It is maintained by volunteers (myself included), not by the resort itself. That being said I’ve always paid for a Nordic ticket to access the BC during operating hours.

I’ve stopped skinning there before work. I usually opt now for more vert at Stowe or other BC locales when conditions allow, but Bolton sunset skins are the absolute best, especially now that daylight savings has kicked in and corn season is right around the corner. As a Bromley skier I’m sure you understand the joys of basking in the sun making turns!

Didn't they have the same policy last year? They had all those stupid signs up saying a pass was required for uphilling. I wonder if this means the new management isn't doing well?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Old policy:

During the winter ski season which runs from December 1 - April 15 the following rates apply for uphill skiing:
    Between the hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, uphill skiers must have a lift ticket for the day, season pass, Nordic day ticket for the day, or Nordic season pass. Uphill skiers do so at their own risk.
    Between the hours of 4:30pm - 8:30am, uphill skiers access Bolton Valley property at their own risk and do not need a ticket or a pass.

New policy:

We’re asking for your support as we update our uphill policy in advance of the 2019-20 winter season. Starting next season, all uphill traffic will need either a lift ticket or season pass (all access season pass or backcountry/nordic/uphill pass) to be in compliance with our Uphill Trail Policy. This will include before, during, and after lift operations. Acknowledging that we don’t have a ticket window at all times, you will be able to purchase the appropriate uphill ticket or nordic/backcountry/uphill season’s pass on your phone anytime.

^

Went there for a quick lap this afternoon after seeing they pulled the plug on all lift ops, just a bit breezy while here in town things were quite tame. I am far from a regular the last few years but did have a pass for multiple years prior and agree with Ayo here. In my experience there is much more skin traffic on Timberline typically (which I've never skinned) and the parking excuse they mention is pure BS. The parking is managed poorly at best so the handful of people there to skin on a daily basis are not enough to cause any problem that is not already present. For inbounds uphill traffic on TLine or Wilderness for BC access I can see it as justifiable but to attempt to charge for the nordic BC trails/Cat trail when those are on public land which is not maintained by the resort goes a step too far imo, just my 2¢. I've never gone uphill while ops were active so I can't speak to enforcement of the current policy then but after hours I have never been approached by anyone asking to see my tik or pass so I wonder if this is prompted for insurance or contractual reasons to limit liability with no plan to actively enforce it after/before operating hours...i.e., CYA.

Edit, I probably have gone up Wilderness a few times while Vista was spinning but never while Wilderness was open.
    Last edited by FussyDutchman; 03-10-2019 at 09:16 PM.

stopped by ogx on my way back from maine. there’s a nice looking pair of whiteroom upslopes in a 179 with plums and skins if anyone is looking for a touring setup. 550$ for the kit.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

plums, heh.... have fun with dat
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Did a longer mission to the 'daks Saturday so we could have en excuse to eat Kit Kats almost none stop. Did a lot of walking in the gorgeous sunshine....

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (2 of 16).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	454.9 KB 
ID:	273421

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (3 of 16).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	680.3 KB 
ID:	273422

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (6 of 16).jpg 
Size:	646.5 KB 
ID:	273423

Thar she blows!

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (8 of 16).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	811.2 KB 
ID:	273424

Ended up being sketchier than we wanted up on the main line, lots of wind slab, so we stayed lower down and had some short fun in the riverbed:

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (11 of 1).jpg 
Size:	833.6 KB 
ID:	273425

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (11 of 16).jpg 
Size:	763.2 KB 
ID:	273426

Better luck on a slide with a slightly different aspect. Gorgeous weather and views all day!

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (13 of 16).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	273427

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (14 of 16).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	955.1 KB 
ID:	273428

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (15 of 16).jpg 
Size:	663.8 KB 
ID:	273429

Got in a quick tour this AM with Mr. Biggins himself back in Stowe, wind was nuuuuking. Great catching up, sir! Looking forward to some Killington spring skiing this year. Got home and slept the rest of the day :/
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    plums, heh.... have fun with dat
    Best mousetraps on the market. Or so I was told

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post

Name:	ADK Saddleback Mountain_3.9.19 (11 of 16).jpg 
Size:	763.2 KB 
ID:	273426
    Sickter. Good hang yesterday, some solid intermediate splitboarding . Sad we didn't try to get a pic of the snow whipping across the trail- that was a sight. Happy Daylight Savings Monday everyone- I a little bit feel like death, as I always do through this week.

On the BV front, $129 doesn't seem like a particularly onerous ask for a year's worth of access, especially if you're using groomed terrain for the up or the down. it's been a while since I've been there, and I have no current connection to the place except that it holds a soft spot in my heart and I have high hopes for the current ownership team. I did spend more than a few days earning turns early and late season when I worked there, as well as the occasional early/late day, and the ski area infrastructure—the trails, the parking lots, and yes, the grooming—all make earning turns there easier than other nearby options.

If the smaller local area here, where I happen to plan to skin after work today, asked for something in the $100-150 range for an annual uphill pass, I'd pay it. They do have a slightly more liberal policy (particularly with respect to dogs, which is what makes it most worth it to me), but having access to maintained trails is really handy, especially at low tide.

I too don’t see the issue with asking people to pay for a service....

Split boarding in the dacks=a sure way to hasten the transition to skiing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    ^

Went there for a quick lap this afternoon after seeing they pulled the plug on all lift ops, just a bit breezy while here in town things were quite tame. I am far from a regular the last few years but did have a pass for multiple years prior and agree with Ayo here. In my experience there is much more skin traffic on Timberline typically (which I've never skinned) and the parking excuse they mention is pure BS. The parking is managed poorly at best so the handful of people there to skin on a daily basis are not enough to cause any problem that is not already present. For inbounds uphill traffic on TLine or Wilderness for BC access I can see it as justifiable but to attempt to charge for the nordic BC trails/Cat trail when those are on public land which is not maintained by the resort goes a step too far imo, just my 2¢. I've never gone uphill while ops were active so I can't speak to enforcement of the current policy then but after hours I have never been approached by anyone asking to see my tik or pass so I wonder if this is prompted for insurance or contractual reasons to limit liability with no plan to actively enforce it after/before operating hours...i.e., CYA.

Edit, I probably have gone up Wilderness a few times while Vista was spinning but never while Wilderness was open.
    The only time I’ve been asked to show a pass was probably 15 years ago when renting Bryant Camp.

If I was to pay $129 to skin, I’d request access to Vista beyond the 3 single lift rides. I understand the reason to charge, I’d be fairly pissed if I was just a nordic skier and saw another user group using trails for free while I had to pay. That being said, I’ve never paid to ski uphill and have no future plans to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    I’ve never paid to ski uphill and have no future plans to do so.
    It’s like paying for sex right?

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    It’s
    like paying for sex right?

Pretty much, why pay for the cow, if the milk is free.

you gets free milk? that’s so sweet....