Page 193 of 235 FirstFirst ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,825 of 5864
    Must have been excruciating, until hypothermia fully set in fully, and then chest compressions. My wife, who is very normalized/ hardened to trauma, cringed and she only read the half the report.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    The full report is so sad.

Three separate parties seeing the crown and not investigating is heart breaking, knowing ( from the report ) that he was there, breathing, and waiting for help.
    "One other notable factor in this accident was the fact that at least three parties observed and later reported seeing what appeared to be a fresh crown line in Raymond Cataract. No one made the 5-10 minute diversion to look for clues or do a beacon search of the debris where a ski and pole were on the surface 75’ uphill of the burial site."
    That may be a good thing to write in a report, but placing any level of guilt on those parties is a bit harsh in my opinion. They clearly said that the ski tracks were faint which would lead me to believe not visible to anyone in those parties mentioned. Natural avalanches occur. Raymonds is barely skied. And he was skiing solo...something I would not assume when taking on that line...or any line up there that is not ridden often. Although, this does hit home and is good information that I will take with me.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    those annie's cheese puffs are no (aged white cheddar) pirate booty but are a damn good snack too.
    I have apparently over done it on the pirates booty. It no longer tastes good to me. A shame, because it’s super healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    The full report is so sad.

Three separate parties seeing the crown and not investigating is heart breaking, knowing ( from the report ) that he was there, breathing, and waiting for help.

The fact the guy kept standing up or trying to stand up after being dug out is just crazy. Dude fought til his last breathe.
    yea i hadn't expected those details...what difference 20...or even 10 minutes might have made!

i once rode the chair with a guy who had survived getting fully buried. he and his crew would do summer beacon training, and were well-trained in S&R. when the unthinkable happened they snapped into action and saved a life.

yea, indeed heart-breaking that no one in those three parties opted to investigate the scene...

edit : not placing blame on the three parties either...just seeing that fact as a part of a bigger tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    I have apparently over done it on the pirates booty. It no longer tastes good to me. A shame, because it’s super healthy.
    time to go for veggie booty. best puffs on the market, full
    stop!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    That may be a good thing to write in a report, but placing any level of guilt on those parties is a bit harsh in my opinion. They clearly said that the ski tracks were faint which would lead me to believe not visible to anyone in those parties mentioned. Natural avalanches occur. Raymonds is barely skied. And he was skiing solo...something I would not assume when taking on that line...or any line up there that is not ridden often. Although, this does hit home and is good information that I will take with me.
    I tend to agree with what you’re saying. I think they’re trying to instill a sense of shared responsibility (not for the fatality but for others’ wellbeing in general in the BC). They added a feature to their website to crowdsource avalanche reports this year. If they can get people to think about reporting observations more for the sake of others then it may lead to more detailed observations. So if hypothetically I was an observer of the crown from afar I may get a little closer to the site which would reveal the tracks and initiate a beacon search sooner. If I had been out there that day I would not have done this, reading this report definitely changed that. Obviously there are limits to your abilities in some situations but the report highlights how little of a diversion would have been necessary to gather more information.

Grham Link partly trimmed back. Between GOSST and 3700' the shell-pant rippers, face-whacks and the back-of-neck snow-dumpers have been removed. That's about 1/4 of the GL length. The blown in snow was delightful on the way back down. The crusty highspots were, umm, "edgeable".

The rest of it is a carwash, mainly due the the extra deep snow cover. Since it is supposed to provide quick access for non-mechanized response to trouble calls, it should not be a tiring brush-fight to traverse.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Grham Link partly trimmed back. Between GOSST and 3700' the shell-pant rippers, face-whacks and the back-of-neck snow-dumpers have been removed. That's about 1/4 of the GL length. The blown in snow was delightful on the way back down. The crusty highspots were, umm, "edgeable".

The rest of it is a carwash, mainly due the the extra deep snow cover. Since it is supposed to provide quick access for non-mechanized response to trouble calls, it should not be a tiring brush-fight to traverse.
    Wow, thanks -- looking forward to my annual-or-so traverse across it later this spring!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Re the other parties who saw the crown line, even aside from the varying estimates on how long that diversion really would be (for a party heading up to Hermit Lake), if they saw it from the Tux trail (i.e., where you get that one brief perfect spot-on view of Raymond Cataract), I suspect that most people wouldn't have the slightest idea how to reach the runout zone.
    (I've ascended the LH Winter Route, skinned up & skied down the Huntington Fire Road, and I've skied the "Raymond" part of Raymond Cataract, yet I'm not even sure of the fastest route to where Nick would have been buried on Thursday.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    I've grown addicted to the Barbara's. Those are fkn addicting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190415_170920.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	982.9 KB 
ID:	278778

Asian woman visiting our office brought these treats in for us. They taste even worse than they sound. I had to give it a go so she wasn't offended. Dangerously Addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Re the other parties who saw the crown line, even aside from the varying estimates on how long that diversion really would be (for a party heading up to Hermit Lake), if they saw it from the Tux trail (i.e., where you get that one brief perfect spot-on view of Raymond Cataract), I suspect that most people wouldn't have the slightest idea how to reach the runout zone.
    (I've ascended the LH Winter Route, skinned up & skied down the Huntington Fire Road, and I've skied the "Raymond" part of Raymond Cataract, yet I'm not even sure of the fastest route to where Nick would have been buried on Thursday.)
    That’s fair. I am not passing any judgement on those that observed the slide and didn’t get in for a closer look. I’ve just learned that if ever encountering such a situation I should consider someone might be in need of help and put that ahead of any prior plans.
    Uno mas

MRG is re-opening today as we anticipate brilliant sunshine and balmy temps.It's a perfect way for us to celebrate tying the record for the longest season in MRG's history. We will operate the Single Chair from 10 am to 4 pm. Please be aware that services will be limited. There will be no breakfast served and food will only be available in the cafeteria. Don't worry folks, General Stark's Pub will be open for beverages and that famous MRG conviviality so you need not worry about missing out on that key aspect of the MRG experience. At some point today we will make a call on opening up once again this weekend in an effort to prolong this EPIC season and break the record for MRG's longest year. Which, by the way, is 135 days.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Good cripes there’s a lot of snow on Mansfield.

Name:	IMG_9481.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	278843

Ugh, just spoke with a friend who had a friend in raymonds the day of the accident. He was skiing down and saw that it had ripped out. The line was blown at that point, so he could not decend even if he wanted to. Nothing is visible from above, so he bailed out not knowing anyone was buried below. He couldn't sleep that night and it is obviously causing daily stress since.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    better to ask forgiveness than permission.

if they give you a hard time continue up the road to grand fonds
    Good call. We didn't have a chance to ask forgiveness, as the only two other people we saw were also earning turns.

Grand Fonds looks really cool, too, but without the ability to speak French we're finding that getting too far out of the way presents additional challenges. (Note to self: get French learning app, pick up enough to get directions and order dinner before next Quebec trip.)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190417_111453.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	278872

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Sugarloaf still skiing well on a beautiful Spring bluebird today... good coverage and open until May 5th.

The K crew took a field trip to the Bush and met up with VT-free. Great day. Love that the chair spins to 5.

Change for a nickle led us to meeting Self Jupiter at the top of Heaven's Gate. We did not have to twist his arm too hard to get him to join us on our hike to the top of Castle Rock and ski Rumble.

SJ ripping Rumble. I think his first day ever at Bush will not be his last.

VT-Free

didtt.... didtt didtt didtt....didt didt..
    :-)
    nothing like spring skiing ...and beer
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

beauty of an evening ooot dere. feels like we haven't had too many sunny warm evenings of late. nice fer a few laps
    for those in da uv, winslow side still goes. getting thinner in a few small spots.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post

Name:	20190417_111453.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	278872

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    C’est bon
    27° 18°

Name:	IMG_9488.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	278953

Harrison’s stoke

I have two more Bush midweek vouchers available. Message me if you want them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    I have two more Bush midweek vouchers available. Message me if you want them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If nobody claims them by the end of the day I’ll take them. Don’t want to be a glutton. Someone please save me from myself