Page 127 of 235 FirstFirst ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 5864
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Dave’s work/ town attempting to cash in on the marketing spin of the BC world.
    Attachment 268928
    Yeah. RASTA bullshit is the justification.

Less than a cluster then one might expect at Sunday River today... The surface was actually pretty decent on South Ridge, good work from the grooming crew. Not a big turnout for skiing kept the lines manageable even when it was down to the Moonstruck (Little White Cap) lift, and kudos to the ops crew for putting lots of eyes on the lifts so they could run even what they did in gusty conditions.

I'm guessing the bar numbers were pretty solid, though.

What year are these '02, '03? I bought them, but I have no clue. I'm gonna ride em tomorrow because why the fuck not?

Edit - the binders are old as phuck

apparently new in the 2001 -2002 season..at least the binders aren't markers..have a blast

I too opted for skates today instead of skis...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel bummed we weren't given a heads up about free hot chocolate
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Ditto. Nordic skates. So fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    I too opted for skates today instead of skis...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I should've opted for skates too

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    I should've opted for skates too
    That looks treacherous.

Red bull's next 'crashed ice' venue
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Let's respect that real life/board personality border folks, c'mon. Spew all you want, but keep folk's day-to-day out of it. #fakemoralpolice

I skied... 2 runs at K today. Also uncrowded and well groomed to sugar, but pretty much all joey slalom everywhere. For personal safety I pulled the cord and went snowshoeing instead. Gotta use those things once in a while I guess. Cheers you silly geese, we'll get through this 273rd thaw freeze of 18/19, I promise.
    Respect the Border, hate the Crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I feel bummed we weren't given a heads up about free hot chocolate
    6 people.showed up but hey lets.pretend there was an event. All 6 people were event organizers.....a few other organizers were no shows. Hilarious.

Exactly! Not enough inclusion.

Headed out tomorrow for a long sunny recon tour for vitamin D ect..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190209_212702.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	588.2 KB 
ID:	268989

The dust cloud coming off the lot reminds of the Joads

Name:	20190209_113454.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	562.1 KB 
ID:	268990

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    apparently new in the 2001 -2002 season..at least the binders aren't markers..have a blast
    Right one!

Used you Sally on biachais!ˇ

and fuck you you biatches I'm on a bunch of fucking you tequila and yeah fuck you j
    Hajahaja

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Right one!

and fuck you you biatches I'm on a bunch of fucking you tequila and yeah fuck you j
    Hajahaja

Few.. .. fuck you !

git sum dooood
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Few.. .. fuck you !
    Ftw.

A late entry from my bud who was on the ice with us.

Name:	IMG_2580.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	268996

Right one!

Hajahaja
    And you were giving me shit on wind speeds this morning, go figure...Jose ftw!

Today's powerline cut tour for vitamin c (microspikes in place of board, cramps should have been the weapons of choice) yielded nothing but a sore clavicle and a solid case of wind burn but the dogs seemed to have a good time so there was at least one positive.
    Last edited by FussyDutchman; 02-09-2019 at 08:34 PM.

jackstraw, the crack of noon is looking good

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I have been trying to find a link to the actual full survey as I find the "facts" presented utter bullshit. So far I have had no luck. I did find they put a series of counter out to track visits, so the number presented is an approximate guess of total visits. There is no way to know if one person passed by a counter(s) several times. Without a 24/7 manned service desk there is no way to know how many of the visits were by unique visitors vs repeat skiers.
    I don't have a dog in this race and really have no idea where they got the data for economics related to the study. My comment related to the number of "visits" corresponding to actual visitors is related to what was stated in the article in Ski and Ride you shared.

From that article: "The guy parked next to me, with Massachusetts plates, said "“I drive here pretty much every weekend, ski all day and then head home.”" He put his skins on and disappeared up the Long Trail toward Goshen Mountain and the backcountry powder runs of Brandon Gap."

"According to a new study by the SE Group, he was one of the 3,268 people who skied or rode the unmaintained, unpatrolled glades there between January 5 and April 4, 2018."

To me, these statements imply that he is one of the 3,268 people that visited Brandon Gap during the study period, and he like others may have visited more than once. Is it possible that the author of the article misinterpreted the actual meaning of "visits"? Most definitely, especially given they couldn't even get the route number where BG is located correct.

Clearly the trail counter methodology used to estimate visitation is not perfect, but based on personal experience at BG I would say that their estimate could be pretty accurate. Whether or not the 3,268 visits refers to visitors or visits is unclear, but if the article is correct then it is visitors, some of whom may have gone to BG once, and some of whom may have gone multiple times.

Did each of those visitors spend $642 (2.1 million/3268) in local establishments while they were visiting BG? Probably not IMO as quite a few of them, such as myself, probably spent little to no $. I personally have bought several 4-packs at Foley Brothers and have had some beers and food in Brandon while in the area but def. not $642.

But, I bet there are BG visitors that have spent more than $642 total during their one or multiple visits to BG. With an airbnb for a couple nights, a meal or two and some supplies, that could add up pretty quick especially if they are making more than one visit.

It is extremely difficult to track tourist behaviors and buying habits and for that reason I am quite sure the authors of the study do not intend this to be some kind of factual presentation of what is going on at BG. But, it does certainly help to better understand the economic impacts of this type of project.

I hope we can all agree that the BG Rasta project and others do bring more people to a part of VT that otherwise would not, and they do bring $$$ with them.

NE Roll Call 18/19

the value is related to all of the sweet instagram pictures i take at rasta. as an official ‘influencer’ each one is about 10k but i have given them to the state at a discounted rate. if anything the value stated deeply underestimates the value of my grams and ill have to sue vermont to renegotiate the terms and raise funds for fyrefest 2 and burning man. or you guys can try to right this injustice by mailing lawson’s and ben and jerry’s pints over the border before this turns into a national incident and we have to build the wall eh
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

With a trail counter it would be impossible to distinguish the same guy over and over vs. One guy once. It counts a body moving past a counter. That happened 3200 times in the 12 week period. They are washing that number through an economic multiplier that claims to amplify the value of one dollar spent. Pd course that economic theory is just that. It s the same theory that was the justification for corporate bailouts which we can now say with certainty benefitted the top 1 to 1/10 percent.
    The economy of Vermont grows every year. The wealth gap grows every year. The only gains for to the top 1 percent. Vtdigger publishes a report on it nor long ago. The report cited the shift to services based economy. This type of bullshit is the justification. Just the facts.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 02-10-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Just the facts.
    You presented no facts... just your opinion. Big difference.

It's one study which nobody is considering to be fact. And, it is not that difficult using trail counters to get a good estimate of usage. It is done all the time with wildlife studies, and estimating use of trails. Is it perfect? No... but better than nothing.

Feel free to present a better or more accurate study or attempt to quantify use and economic development.

I'll have to agree with Generalstark's comments on visit vs visitor and local expenses made by visitors.

I took two runs in two sectors from one parking area at BG, to me it's one visit. I spent under $20 at Sandy's in Rochester and hit the road. I was staying at a family member's cabin, took meals at the cabin. True, when we headed home we did stop at The Store for an olive oil refil and a pack of Vermints. No way we spent even $50 in two days....probably a lot less. We gassed up the Powdaru in Warner, NH, on the way up and on the way back.

IMO the data are poorly obtained and poorly interpreted. If a guy (visitor) in his late sixties gets two runs (visits), younger people may be getting even more, possibly 3 to 5 runs. Then there are vehicle occupancy differences. Carpooling is still a thing, there could be two or more visitors in each vehicle.

All that being said, the skiing was really fine on the day I visited. Sure the confulent zones were a bit scraped off. but the pow made that of little importance. The value to skiers is high, the economic value to the locality is probably lower than stated but there is a long-term potential for that impact being rather important.

As the warmer winters and the jet-stream variables evolve, VT will need the glade zones to continue drawing out-of-state visitors while the ski areas start up and grow their forest regen plans on most of their currently wide open, barren slopes. Will the Glade Users make up for the climatic revenue drains? No, they can't, for many reasons. There will be a slowing of the drain due to Glade Zone users.

Will there be a magnified impact when there are Glade Zone user fatalities? Probably. The political axion about "no 'bad' press", will not apply.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well