Page 228 of 235 FirstFirst ... 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 5864
    Granite BC Aliance insta has some tgr'ish arguing going on. Someone even through out a "Rog" on a comment...hmm.

Saw that. Not sure why people get their knickers so in a knot over GBA. Amount of acres they glade is counted in the 10's not hundreds

I need to get up there and hit that with you this year!

Definitely I think I sent you my phone number. Hit me up anytime

Cut and paste from Granite Backcountry Alliance Facebook page...

“GBA Moment In History! Tonight GBA partner Mahoosuc Land Trust approved Maine’s first public glading project which will utilize portions of the 1,100 acre parcel known as Rumford Whitecap and connect to project partner Black Mountain of Maine through a so-called “Backcountry Gate” �� The 8-mile point-to-point two mountain project will connect the Bethel and Rumford communities and serve as a signature project for not only the state of Maine but also GBA and how it integrates backcountry skiing with existing resorts �� We are incredibly thrilled with the Mahoosuc Land Trust and their steadfast leader and Executive Director Kirk Seigel who helped bring this project to the MLT region - another local organization who has made a lasting mark of conservation which sets the stage for outdoor recreation. Black Mountain will host the glading weekend and is supported by the tireless crew of the Angry Beavers of Black Mountain Maine who have been cutting glades at BMOM for many years - including ringleader (and Glade Chief) Jeff Marcoux and Lee McKay. Big thanks to MLT Glade Chiefs Dan Elliot and Skip Repetto (pictured) and glade design work by Jason Hunter of Pineside Trail Design ( @hubnorthnh ) // BIG GLADING WEEKEND scheduled for October 19 & 20th and camping on the slopes of BLACK mountain will be allowed. Sign up today for glading (link below) and camping reservations will be coming soon. Thank you all! #craftglading #graniteglades #trustinland #skifreeordie ����⚔️⛷ Winter Wildlands Alliance Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics Maine Outdoor Brands Fjällräven

** all volunteers are entered into a drawing for a free 7 day trip in 2020 to Argentina (airfare excluded) with SASS Global Travel!

http://granitebackcountryalliance.or...e-tour-signup”

Here’s a map of the area that I have added to this post:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE093A51-2155-42A9-9C10-555FED4A3DE9.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	485.9 KB 
ID:	294069  
    Last edited by singlecross ; 09-15-2019 at 06:29 AM.

I seem to remember the stuff that you’d want Ski was secondary succession logging schwack, and the stuff that looked good off the snowfield was low angle raspberries. Not really something to get your nickers in a twist about considering the plethora of better, longer, older growth ski spots in that area.

Non-sequitor-ish to the GBA convo., my roommate from last winter just launched a Kickstarter soliciting all your 401(k) proceeds to help them finish their doc, Leave Nice Tracks, about the RASTA project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...0Nice%20tracks

Looking for help for their post-production expenses. Give it a look-see, the film should be out November/December!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post

Here’s a map of the area that I have added to this post:
    Your old stomping grounds eh? Would be great to connect this Winter.

Going big time with this. All the existing ski runs at Rumford Whitecap with expanded runs down the back of Black and new glades over on RWC. Able to get in a serious tour, not just an up and down with many aspects on both hills available.

I know it is Ullrfest weekend, but we could use all the hands available October 19 or 20 or both upta Black Mountain of Maine. Free camping Saturday night, fire, music, beer.

Picture from a glade we were working last weekend. And yes that hit upper left goes clean
    Name:  Crooked Glade.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  281.7 KB

Low snow Black is a no go. Good snow, probably the most surprising mountain in the East.

Boreas you are right there are better places, but with ski touring currently the cool thing we need to point folks in places like this to not over run the other places shhhh

WDG I know we have missed each other up there, but the new glades this year at BMOM are going to kick it up another notch.

Would be cool to do a tgr BC east coast thing. You show me yours I'll show you mine.
    Mine's not that big. Kind of a chode.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Would be cool to do a tgr BC east coast thing. You show me yours I'll show you mine.
    Mine's not that big. Kind of a chode.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Happens all the time in my experience. Heading somewhere? Post it up and ask for a guided tour. Usually mags are plenty generous with their stashes.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post

Going big time with this. All the existing ski runs at Rumford Whitecap with expanded runs down the back of Black and new glades over on RWC. Able to get in a serious tour, not just an up and down with many aspects on both hills available.

I know it is Ullrfest weekend, but we could use all the hands available October 19 or 20 or both upta Black Mountain of Maine. Free camping Saturday night, fire, music, beer.

Picture from a glade we were working last weekend. And yes that hit upper left goes clean
    Name:  Crooked Glade.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  281.7 KB

Low snow Black is a no go. Good snow, probably the most surprising mountain in the East.

Boreas you are right there are better places, but with ski touring currently the cool thing we need to point folks in places like this to not over run the other places shhhh

WDG I know we have missed each other up there, but the new glades this year at BMOM are going to kick it up another notch.
    Always enjoyed Whitecap for It’s uniqueness in the area. Just seems like an odd peak in an even odder area to dig the heals in and protest glading. The people protesting are probably the same types that will get pissy when Saddleback spins or Spruce loaf in Jay increases snowmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Yep, the childhood homestead was 110 acres on the corner of the East Andover Rd. and Farmers Hill up the Western flank of Whitecap. I remember fondly roaming around up there. I even got my dirt bike up to the top of Whitecap in the very early '80's on a long abandoned and very steep jeep trail. We would load up on blueberries from the summit every summer by lining backpacks with garbage bags and filling them up. Pic of mom, bro, and I on the summit for a blueberry run in the late 70's probably.

Would be great to meet up and make some turns this winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	294338  

Check out the fro on your bro.

Picked berries there myself and may have gone up that Jeep trail in the early nineties on skis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, New England Mags... I just realized a happy alignment of dates in Portland, Maine in the middle of November.

Thurs. Nov 14 - TGR film tour of Winterland at the State Theatre
    Fri. Nov 15 - Dark Star Orchestra also at the State Theatre!

Seems a good opportunity for a Maggot meet-up. Ski movie, Bar, Sleep, Brunch, Dinner, Concert, Weekend to recover. Who wants to meetup for some Post Ullrfest/ Pre Season stoke?

Anyone have experience with the Freeride systems antero 2 "softshell" in New England weather? I just can't imagine rocking a softshell as a primary jacket. I will probably go antero2+ LTE. input?

NE Roll Call 18/19

Anyone have experience with the Freeride systems antero 2 "softshell" in New England weather? I just can't imagine rocking a softshell as a primary jacket. I will probably go antero2+ LTE. input?
    I just can’t imagine having a primary jacket

That said I was hardshell or bust for years and soft shells hold up great unless it’s nuking wet or raining. I loved my Flylow Higgins and now love my Antero 2 Plus. Both have been great jackets although Flylow has changed the Higgins. Both had/ have fabulous hoods whereas my hard shell experiences are hit or miss with proper hood space. Need a good hood in the ec.

I have not tried my Antero in heavy moisture as I look to a hardshell in those conditions. Quality is spot on though. I wouldn’t worry taking it in almost any condition. It is not that soft.
    Uno mas

I use my Antero 2 for inbounds and have had no issues with wetting out, etc. I have a 2+ for BC days as it is much lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I use my Antero 2 for inbounds and have had no issues with wetting out, etc. I have a 2+ for BC days as it is much lighter.
    Agreed on the 2, heavier and much warmer (too warm for touring/hiking unless it is below 15° for me) and although it is a softshell I've had no issues with either of my 2 getting wet even on mixed precip days. I will add that the 2+ LTE is extremely light but still warm enough for 20°+ days with 2 light layers and also doubles as a great 3 season rain jacket.

Hmm... sounds like the LTE is lighter than what I want. Are you worried about it ripping in schwack? Thinking 2+

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Agreed on the 2, heavier and much warmer (too warm for touring/hiking unless it is below 15° for me) and although it is a softshell I've had no issues with either of my 2 getting wet even on mixed precip days. I will add that the 2+ LTE is extremely light but still warm enough for 20°+ days with 2 light layers and also doubles as a great 3 season rain jacket.

Hmm... sounds like the LTE is lighter than what I want. Are you worried about it ripping in schwack? Thinking 2+
    I wouldn't say worried because I know Mike would fix it if possible but I would definitely say it is probably more likely to rip than either of my 2's. I don't have a 2+ that is not LTE so not sure how they compare but I'm sure someone here with both could chime in. If not I would shoot MiCol a pm and he will get back to you with a full comparison.

Any Portland mags around Thursday to get a beer? I’ll be in town for the night.

I ripped my Antero 2 in a really thick spruce thicket trying to get to a slide path (was with Peruvian, ML242 and a host of others on that day). Easy fix with a gore-tex patch and a little seam seal. I've been using that jacket as my primary for 5 seasons. Still looks new. It's featured on FRS' website
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magic 3-8-2018 C.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	939.9 KB 
ID:	295054
    I DWR it every other year and I've skied in soaking rain and not wet through. I've lost track of how many FRS jackets I have but most are Antero 2s (I do have a 2+).

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    ...I've lost track of how many FRS jackets I have but most are Antero 2s (I do have a 2+).
    You know they were supposed to be given away at Ullrfest and weren't for just you???!

Great pic. Skiing in a month?!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    You know they were supposed to be given away at Ullrfest and weren't for just you???!

Great pic. Skiing in a month?!
    Strangely, I've never won anything at Ullrfest but a TGR t-shirt. One year DoWork's lady won a Black Cherry Antero 2 and she gifted to me because we had hosted them at our Magic house for a couple of months when they first moved to VT and got screwed out of a rental deal. I've only worn to work a couple of times in the hope that she'll let me return it to her.

I've skied at K every October for about the last 9-10 years so, yeah, skiing in a month.

New Northridge chair should be great.Name:  70706307_10157609921968139_1625086552449220608_n.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  140.8 KB
    (pic from Green Mountain Control Systems)

Won't be long before SS gets lit up for World Cup.
    https://www.killington.com/the-mount.../superstar-cam