Page 44 of 235 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 5864
    Thank you Northern Vermont, was worth sleeping in a tent Monday and Tuesday night to catch fresh tracks Tues/Weds. Coverage-yes, fresh tracks-yes, steep-yes, deep-betcha. Full days in the hills. Will be back

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2805 (2).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	259882

Name:	IMG_2815 (2).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	259883

Name:	IMG_2858 (3).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	259966

phone lost battery after second night, so no pics from day two

edit: cropped last image and thought I had deleted previous, but seems tgr has saved the original and I can not delete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2858 (2).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	259884  
    Last edited by cat in january; 12-13-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And the bumps make sense. Boarders fuck up bumps. Go to Alta/Bird. Alta= nice, regular bumps, well spaced. Bird= chaos.
    True. While most knuckle draggers have no bidniss in da bumps, I used to follow my 2 plankin' friends through mogul fields and could apply the technique and jam through but it gets tricky in steeper pitches. Ripping the tops off to check speed is annoying to skiers. shallow bumps are more fun, less steep pitches. I rode hard boots and a 165 so it works the quads pretty hard.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Does MRG allow monoskis?

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    I frankly enjoyed the heck out of some groomers at sunrise this morning.

Attachment 259875
    Nice, hoping to have one of the sun going the other way later this afternoon.

From my sideways perspective I couldn't care less if mrg let's me ride there, they can run their mountain however they choose. Looking at it from a business perspective, the revenue they are leaving on the table (however much or little that may be) leads me to believe those running the place are either elitist snobs stuck in a bygone era's tradition at the expense of the membership or just very poor businesspeople...likely a combination of both I am guessing. I have seen this happen at several member owned golf clubs I belonged to in the past. One is now public because the membersip all left due to management's refusal to adapt to changing demographics (or maybe they where too blind to recognize them) while the other, a beautiful track, is far from thriving having lost more than 50% of its stockholders in the last 5-6 yrs. for similar although more easily remedied reasons involving the "good ole boys club" that is the board.

I have no idea what mrg's financials look like but I know for damn sure they would look better if they sold more lift tiks and passes, which would be the result of loosing the ban.

Well done Cat!

Some irrefutable MRG single chair photographic footage...

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Nice, hoping to have one of the sun going the other way later this afternoon.

From my sideways perspective I couldn't care less if mrg let's me ride there, they can run their mountain however they choose. Looking at it from a business perspective, the revenue they are leaving on the table (however much or little that may be) leads me to believe those running the place are either elitist snobs stuck in a bygone era's tradition at the expense of the membership or just very poor businesspeople...likely a combination of both I am guessing. I have seen this happen at several member owned golf clubs I belonged to in the past. One is now public because the membersip all left due to management's refusal to adapt to changing demographics (or maybe they where too blind to recognize them) while the other, a beautiful track, is far from thriving having lost more than 50% of its stockholders in the last 5-6 yrs. for similar although more easily remedied reasons involving the "good ole boys club" that is the board.

I have no idea what mrg's financials look like but I know for damn sure they would look better if they sold more lift tiks and passes, which would be the result of loosing the ban.

Well done Cat!
    Its true my business acumen is quite poor. That said, MRG's revenue potential is tied far, far, far more to the weather than its lack of potential customers. Snowboarders won't ski MRG is shitty conditions anymore than skiers will and we don't need help when the skiing is good.

Yup.

It's not a business. It's a co-op. Do you own a condo? It's like that. Collectively, in theory, shareholders decide on important financial matters. No body makes any money off the deal, unless they're stealing it somehow.

And you're right, it is a bunch of elitist snobs. But, so are we.

Understood, probably more than the majority of hills in VT or NE for that matter. Not sure what your role is at the mountain but as a business owner myself (with questionable acumen also) my point is, additional revenue is good revenue, why limit it if from coming in the door if you don't have to.

Understood, probably more than the majority of hills in VT or NE for that matter. Not sure what your role is at the mountain but as a business owner myself (with questionable acumen also) my point is, aditional revenue is good revenue, why limit it if from coming in the door if you don't have to.
    Because they're already limited by the amount of parking spots, the amount of money they can make in a good day is essentially fixed.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

FD, if you are serious about helping us raise some additional revenue, please open that wallet...

https://www.preservemadriver.com/trailblazer
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    True. While most knuckle draggers have no bidniss in da bumps, I used to follow my 2 plankin' friends through mogul fields and could apply the technique and jam through but it gets tricky in steeper pitches. Ripping the tops off to check speed is annoying to skiers. shallow bumps are more fun, less steep pitches. I rode hard boots and a 165 so it works the quads pretty hard.
    Screw that. My former housemate and former pro would dust most anyone in the bumps on his board. And who fucking cares about moguls! Are we talking about moguls!!

Oh yeah, and Cat giddeeup!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    FD, if you are serious about helping us raise some additional revenue, please open that wallet...

https://www.preservemadriver.com/trailblazer
    Ha, sorry BD, any excess revenue my biz creates is allocated for the next 4 yrs (or more) to a institution of higher learning yet to be determined!

ML, obviously I am not familiar with how the place runs but my question to your statement would be do they stop selling tiks when the lot is full or have a daily limit of people permitted to ski? Do members/pass holders get priority over day tik customers? I get that space is a signicant issue on pow days but why would you turn away additional revenue on days where it is less than at capacity because it comes from a single planker? I just can't wrap my head around the logic there.

Didn't see it....

Ha, sorry BD, any excess revenue my biz creates is allocated for the next 4 yrs (or more) to a institution of higher learning yet to be determined!

ML, obviously I am not familiar with how the place runs but my question to your statement would be do they stop selling tiks when the lot is full or have a daily limit of people permitted to ski? Do members/pass holders get priority over day tik customers? I get that space is a signicant issue on pow days but why would you turn away additional revenue on days where it is less than at capacity because it comes from a single planker? I just can't wrap my head around the logic there.
    It's not pow days, it's every weekend basically. The lift tickets sales regulate themselves. And if you are a passholder that shows up at 11 on presidents day you're SOL too.

Are they leaving a little money on the table on some random tuesday? maybe. i can't weigh that against the people though who go their specifically to see skiing the way it used to be when travelling from out west or something, but i would guess it nearly cancels itself out.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

MRG snowboarder ban arguments =

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

If you are telling me it wouldn't make a difference to their bottom line I'll trust your assemeemt since I have no basis to challenge it. Personally, I would probably go there a few times a year during the week when conditions were good but my and other occasional riders $200-$300 per year probably isn't enough to justify the bitching management would have to endure from members for letting me load the lift. Like I said, whether I agree or not isn't going to change anybody's stance and that's fine by me and I'm sure vice versa. I regularly ride with just as many skiers as I do boarders and honestly don't need to ride a hill where people aren't open to someone who just enjoys sharing a great day in the mountains, regardless of how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Bill Koch’s shirt?
    Yup.

Part of Bill’s 1974 US Ski Team uni. It was the first year he medaled in an international competition - bronze in the Euro junior championships at 19 years old.

Proudly union made for the US Ski team by Sears.

Stop thinking it's a business. Start thinking club. It's like a private golf club that accepts outsiders for a fee. At any time, they could shut down that outsider access.

Anyway, any organization that spends what it spent to replace a single chair with a ......... single chair, could give a fuck about increasing revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Wrong. It leaves a sliver of doubt that it may not have. We do not have the conclusive evidence that makes the verbal history fact.
    My three year old puts together better arguments.

Name:	IMG_2545.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	549.2 KB 
ID:	259938

This lady could be on a snowboard.... is this picture for real? Is that Paul Revere?

One thing I learned from watching that video, that lift is the most inefficient way to transport people up a mountain. 45 minute lift lines?? I’m a skier, but I’ll pass..

Feelin like that day the Dutchman damn near single handedly convinced MRG to pull their heads from their arse:

I still don't really care too much though.

Here's a lame question:

Does anybody know if Granite Gorge will be running lifts this year? No mention of anything but tubing and xc on their website suggests to me the answer is No.

I know. It's a tiny little hill. But I had a great day there at the very end of last season. Sunny and beautiful corn. Plus with my Magic pass it was free... hard to beat. It would suck if they weren't spinning the chair this season.

Woohoo, we be skiing in the northwestnortheast:

Name:	Bonky glove.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	259960
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org