Page 193 of 229 FirstFirst ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,825 of 5705
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    A couple days later I realized that I had the last pictures ever taken of him:
    https://www.facebook.com/NERandoRace...49074341800461
    ... although you have to save the picture to your computer and then zoom in to discern him from the boulders, but that's probably just as well.
    (Those boulders also just happen to be site of the February victim, one of whose memorial services I attended in my hometown, a short walk from my childhood home, just barely off my walking route to elementary school.)
    Hitting close to home...
    Maybe a little memorial sign like the one on the cache at the top of the GoS trail? That is always a sobering reminder to me. A reality check as we assess and decide.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    A couple days later I realized that I had the last pictures ever taken of him:
    https://www.facebook.com/NERandoRace...49074341800461
    ... although you have to save the picture to your computer and then zoom in to discern him from the boulders, but that's probably just as well.
    (Those boulders also just happen to be site of the February victim, one of whose memorial services I attended in my hometown, a short walk from my childhood home, just barely off my walking route to elementary school.)
    Unreal and sorry to hear about your local connection with the other victim! You went beyond what most would have done and gave him your thoughts which I can only guess he considered in his decision to continue. A horrible accident that hopefully, gives others pause for thought on their route choices in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    6” of dense cream. Exceeding reported totals.
    Thanks for the report and glad you got it. Work made the decision for me this morning but hoping for a quick skin later to hopefully, get a few last soft turns this season

Smuggs just called it quits, would not be surprised if Stowe did the same in the next few days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4SCEChWAAA2C3Y.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	417.9 KB 
ID:	278722
    Last edited by FussyDutchman; 04-16-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Iíd call it a nauseating read. Really sad. The point about those observing the crown but not running a beacon test on the debris zone was a lesson. I likely would have done the same just focused on my day. Not that I am in avalanche terrain often if ever but this was a take away for me.

Well, came to the thread tonight in more positive spirits although harder to do after that read... If anyone still skiing Jay and needs a 2 for 1 PM me. Itís one of those Irving vouchers that has my name on it but I can just email it to you and you can give it a shot. I am there all day Wed. Tomorrow morning too but no time to deal w ticket window. Work stuff at 11.
    Ugh, that was hard to read and a bit triggering(though the last few folks Iíve had to use CPR on faired better). Iím struck that the individual still had a pulse after two hours of being buried, and just spot on clinical judgement for those running the code in that scenario and trying for an ecmo center. An hour and a half of CPR in that backcountry scenario and a lifeflight sounds terrible. Iím picturing one of the providers delivering effective cpr while sliding on the tobaggan. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Ugh, that was hard to read and a bit triggering(though the last few folks I’ve had to use CPR on faired better). I’m struck that the individual still had a pulse after two hours of being buried, and just spot on clinical judgement for those running the code in that scenario and trying for an ecmo center. An hour and a half of CPR in that backcountry scenario and a lifeflight sounds terrible. I’m picturing one of the providers delivering effective cpr while sliding on the tobaggan. Wow.
    No ice mask and chunky icy snow must have provided some (enough) air pockets to keep him alive for such a long time. I cannot imagine what he went thru that entire time knowing he was alone. So gut-wrenching to even think about it. So so sad. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Ainít no more Paradise Deli......
    New folks be calling it paradise provisions now...... not quite sure what to make of it. Couldnít find a deviled egg anywhere.
    The lack of deviled eggs befuddled-based so much I did not even inquire about the soups.
    https://paradisevt.com/

What the fuck happened to the free pay phone?
    Fuckn' M series

Name:	20190416_120600.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	725.9 KB 
ID:	278727

Same place it's always been

Name:	20190416_120657.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	639.7 KB 
ID:	278728

I like the new Little Grocery. Roberta had been there a long time and likely burned out. New store all refreshed and a great place to grab some fill ins for a meal when I am working close to home instead of driving down to Mehurons. They have some nice VT cryovacced meats, nice selection of brews and regular grocery items. Never buy sandwiches in town, so can't speak to the quality of those.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Pretty funny somebody slapped one of Stevie's Pioneers stickers on there. That was the surf shop Rog worked post EMS. Steve was on the first Burton pro team waay back.

There used to be a sticker covered Ice chest next to the phone, lots of great stickers were on that.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Eggs today don’t help me one little bit with my egg cravings last sunday......

Long shot, but anyone tried skinning at Le Massif this time of year while they're closed midweek? Staying in Quebec City, had planned to get some turns in either there and/or Mont St Anne based on the closing dates posted, and a bit skunked with midweek closings at both. They offer uphill travel tickets on site according to their website, but I'm not guessing they'll be open to take our money. I suppose the same question would apply for Mont St Anne, if anyone has any thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

better to ask forgiveness than permission.

if they give you a hard time continue up the road to grand fonds
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

NE Roll Call 18/19

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    better to ask forgiveness than permission.

if they give you a hard time continue up the road to grand fonds
    I imagine it would be no problem to head over to the Liguri zone of Massif without any hassle since it's a side country area.

+1 for the Grand Fond suggestion. It's way way chill and if you speak le French the locals will point you towards the goods (if there are even any locals around, that's how chill it is). Skinned up there week before opening and it was all good.

Great corn chowder lunch laps in the Laurentians today! Still way fat up here.
    Last edited by danmelon; 04-16-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    24į 06į

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    No ice mask and chunky icy snow must have provided some (enough) air pockets to keep him alive for such a long time. I cannot imagine what he went thru that entire time knowing he was alone. So gut-wrenching to even think about it. So so sad. ugh.
    yea that was a tough read indeed.
    very very sad, especially given that the fallen skier was still alive when dug out. i take a little bit of comfort in knowing that he knew that people were with him at the end, fighting to save his life. if only he had been found a little sooner?
    much love and props to the rangers who tried...and wishing them peace after what must have been a really difficult day.
    be safe out there everybody.

Name:	IMG_9458.JPG 
Size:	437.0 KB 
ID:	278749

Granted, itís no Switchback but this stuff is pretty decent to the untrained palette.

The palate, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post

Name:	IMG_9458.JPG 
Size:	437.0 KB 
ID:	278749

Granted, itís no Switchback but this stuff is pretty decent to the untrained palette.
    those annie's cheese puffs are no (aged white cheddar) pirate booty but are a damn good snack too.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    yea that was a tough read indeed.
    very very sad, especially given that the fallen skier was still alive when dug out. i take a little bit of comfort in knowing that he knew that people were with him at the end, fighting to save his life. if only he had been found a little sooner?
    much love and props to the rangers who tried...and wishing them peace after what must have been a really difficult day.
    be safe out there everybody.
    The full report is so sad.

Three separate parties seeing the crown and not investigating is heart breaking, knowing ( from the report ) that he was there, breathing, and waiting for help.

The fact the guy kept standing up or trying to stand up after being dug out is just crazy. Dude fought til his last breathe.

Must have been excruciating, until hypothermia fully set in fully, and then chest compressions. My wife, who is very normalized/ hardened to trauma, cringed and she only read the half the report.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post

Three separate parties seeing the crown and not investigating is heart breaking, knowing ( from the report ) that he was there, breathing, and waiting for help.
    "One other notable factor in this accident was the fact that at least three parties observed and later reported seeing what appeared to be a fresh crown line in Raymond Cataract. No one made the 5-10 minute diversion to look for clues or do a beacon search of the debris where a ski and pole were on the surface 75’ uphill of the burial site."
    That may be a good thing to write in a report, but placing any level of guilt on those parties is a bit harsh in my opinion. They clearly said that the ski tracks were faint which would lead me to believe not visible to anyone in those parties mentioned. Natural avalanches occur. Raymonds is barely skied. And he was skiing solo...something I would not assume when taking on that line...or any line up there that is not ridden often. Although, this does hit home and is good information that I will take with me.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    those annie's cheese puffs are no (aged white cheddar) pirate booty but are a damn good snack too.
    I have apparently over done it on the pirates booty. It no longer tastes good to me. A shame, because itís super healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post

The fact the guy kept standing up or trying to stand up after being dug out is just crazy. Dude fought til his last breathe.
    yea i hadn't expected those details...what difference 20...or even 10 minutes might have made!

i once rode the chair with a guy who had survived getting fully buried. he and his crew would do summer beacon training, and were well-trained in S&R. when the unthinkable happened they snapped into action and saved a life.

yea, indeed heart-breaking that no one in those three parties opted to investigate the scene...

edit : not placing blame on the three parties either...just seeing that fact as a part of a bigger tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    I have apparently over done it on the pirates booty. It no longer tastes good to me. A shame, because it’s super healthy.
    time to go for veggie booty. best puffs on the market, full
    stop!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    That may be a good thing to write in a report, but placing any level of guilt on those parties is a bit harsh in my opinion. They clearly said that the ski tracks were faint which would lead me to believe not visible to anyone in those parties mentioned. Natural avalanches occur. Raymonds is barely skied. And he was skiing solo...something I would not assume when taking on that line...or any line up there that is not ridden often. Although, this does hit home and is good information that I will take with me.
    I tend to agree with what youíre saying. I think theyíre trying to instill a sense of shared responsibility (not for the fatality but for othersí wellbeing in general in the BC). They added a feature to their website to crowdsource avalanche reports this year. If they can get people to think about reporting observations more for the sake of others then it may lead to more detailed observations. So if hypothetically I was an observer of the crown from afar I may get a little closer to the site which would reveal the tracks and initiate a beacon search sooner. If I had been out there that day I would not have done this, reading this report definitely changed that. Obviously there are limits to your abilities in some situations but the report highlights how little of a diversion would have been necessary to gather more information.

Grham Link partly trimmed back. Between GOSST and 3700' the shell-pant rippers, face-whacks and the back-of-neck snow-dumpers have been removed. That's about 1/4 of the GL length. The blown in snow was delightful on the way back down. The crusty highspots were, umm, "edgeable".

The rest of it is a carwash, mainly due the the extra deep snow cover. Since it is supposed to provide quick access for non-mechanized response to trouble calls, it should not be a tiring brush-fight to traverse.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Grham Link partly trimmed back. Between GOSST and 3700' the shell-pant rippers, face-whacks and the back-of-neck snow-dumpers have been removed. That's about 1/4 of the GL length. The blown in snow was delightful on the way back down. The crusty highspots were, umm, "edgeable".

The rest of it is a carwash, mainly due the the extra deep snow cover. Since it is supposed to provide quick access for non-mechanized response to trouble calls, it should not be a tiring brush-fight to traverse.
    Wow, thanks -- looking forward to my annual-or-so traverse across it later this spring!
    For those stuck in the Northeast, check out the NE Rando Race Series and my avalanche course. (For other avalanche course providers anywhere, feel free to use any of my "homework" assignments for your own courses too.)

Re the other parties who saw the crown line, even aside from the varying estimates on how long that diversion really would be (for a party heading up to Hermit Lake), if they saw it from the Tux trail (i.e., where you get that one brief perfect spot-on view of Raymond Cataract), I suspect that most people wouldn't have the slightest idea how to reach the runout zone.
    (I've ascended the LH Winter Route, skinned up & skied down the Huntington Fire Road, and I've skied the "Raymond" part of Raymond Cataract, yet I'm not even sure of the fastest route to where Nick would have been buried on Thursday.)
    For those stuck in the Northeast, check out the NE Rando Race Series and my avalanche course. (For other avalanche course providers anywhere, feel free to use any of my "homework" assignments for your own courses too.)