Page 145 of 235 FirstFirst ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 5864

NE Roll Call 18/19

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    It’s not that uncommon, I’ve done it, watched people do it, partners have done it to me. Sometimes you don’t like the conditions, sometimes someone is tired, sometimes you want to solo something else based on conditions.
    Sure. But did any of the situations you describe result in the death of the solo partner? My point is that in this particular situation.... it seems weird that his brother bailed and he kept going and then fell to his death. And that the incident is still under investigation by “law enforcement”.

But, without knowing more about the specifics including skill level and experience of the two climbers, I guess we’ll never know the whole story. Or will we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    The guide that found his body.
    You have a special connection with said guide or is there some published account you are referring to?

Great report robrox, thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    You have a special connection with said guide or is there some published account you are referring to?

A connection

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    Is climbing without a rope in this location with these icy conditions commonplace?
    Yes it’s commonplace in some conditions. It’s also commonplace to rope up. All depends on who is doing the climbing and what the conditions are. It’s not however commonplace for someone to solo climb it and fall to their death.

1/2-5/8" of graupel last evening, currently 21` and calm bob.

I always assume climbing steep icy terrain with crampons and axe to be a no fall zone. The chance that you will slip and fall in a way that allows you to self arrest are not that good. You pick up speed so fast there is only a second or two to react before it becomes a long sliding fall.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    1/2-5/8" of graupel last evening, currently 21` and calm bob.

I always assume climbing steep icy terrain with crampons and axe to be a no fall zone. The chance that you will slip and fall in a way that allows you to self arrest are not that good. You pick up speed so fast there is only a second or two to react before it becomes a long sliding fall.
    Having done some practice with high speed self arrest, I have to agree. It takes a long time to slow down and 250-290 linear feet of travel is a good range of stopping distance when conditions favor self-arrest on North Slide of Tripyramid. Central is steeper and was icier, his speed must have been terrific before he got that pick in. The sleuthing on this will be complex, so I'll wait for the ANAM report.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    Sure. But did any of the situations you describe result in the death of the solo partner? My point is that in this particular situation.... it seems weird that his brother bailed and he kept going and then fell to his death. And that the incident is still under investigation by “law enforcement”.

But, without knowing more about the specifics including skill level and experience of the two climbers, I guess we’ll never know the whole story. Or will we?

No one died, but I bailed on a friend who later had is crampon fall off on the top of the first pitch of Yale, then slipped and fell. Luckily, the snow was soft and he walked away with some minor bruising. That day we had already soloed North, and Damnation, and I was headed for pinnacle. He was no newbie, climbed in Chamonix for two seasons, Alaska, Bolivia, Peru, Banff. Point being things happen.

Wrong forum jongs
    crab in my shoe mouth

Well, it's official. The Bottles will be leaving the comfy confines of the BB and heading to the Great State of Maine next week. Hoping that the snowy forecast holds and that my agoraphobia meds are effective. Can't wait to pop my BMOM cherry amongst other stops. Most importantly, can anyone provide GPS coordinates of where I can see a moose? Preferably one with a rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Most importantly, can anyone provide GPS coordinates of where I can see a moose? Preferably one with a rack.
    Every bar north of Bangor.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    And ...... that's a win.

Well, it's official. The Bottles will be leaving the comfy confines of the BB and heading to the Great State of Maine next week. Hoping that the snowy forecast holds and that my agoraphobia meds are effective. Can't wait to pop my BMOM cherry amongst other stops. Most importantly, can anyone provide GPS coordinates of where I can see a moose? Preferably one with a rack.
    On the topic of New England moose, this was a pretty depressing read...

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-moose/583189/
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

I don’t know about moose, but while in Maine Maybe you can find Tuckerman’s Ravine and Brandon’s Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    POTY

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post

Fucking ticks. If I could make any creature vanish forever, it would be these 8 legged fuckers.

NE Roll Call 18/19

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    I don’t know about moose, but while in Maine Maybe you can find Tuckerman’s Ravine and Brandon’s Gap.
    A quest for the Holy Grails of Maine skiing. I like it.

Paulster and his posse are gonna grace y'all with his presence (presents?) next wednesday. Looks like I'm bringing the frresh as well - get they hype train rolling and you're welcome in advance!!

Or not
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Fucking ticks. If I could make any creature vanish forever, it would be these 8 legged fuckers.
    Agreed. I hate them. If there is something good about them, I have yet to hear what it is.

Is treating moose (like you would a pet) against ticks something that has been considered? Seems like they are already tranquilizing and collaring the calves. What if they gave them a dose of a tick control medication or made the radio collar into a tick collar as well? At least to get them through their first winter.

There are very few moose around these days. I haven't seen one in years and I only cut the track of a single moose this year during hunting season in Island Pond. In the mid-00's there were more moose tracks than deer.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post

I went to college with one of those guys mentioned. Pretty cool.

But fuck ticks and mosquitoes.

We should breed and release opossum. https://www.caryinstitute.org/discov...SAAEgI5d_D_BwE

Interesting morning skiing in Smugg's Notch (in the notch, west side towards the top, not the ski area). If you hear of anyone turning up a Motorola G6 phone, LMK... left my pocket open after taking phone pics of buddy and it dropped out on the way down
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I went to college with one of those guys mentioned. Pretty cool.

But fuck ticks and mosquitoes.
    Cedric is one of my Father in Law's best friends.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    We should breed and release opossum. https://www.caryinstitute.org/discov...SAAEgI5d_D_BwE
    My neighbor saw a possum last summer. I have NEVER even heard of them around here before. Maybe another product of the shorter winters.

This winter hasn't been short
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/