Page 126 of 227 FirstFirst ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 5656
  1. #3126
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Cash registers be ringing and shit!!!

    the-backcountry-payoff
    According to that piece of marketing material each visitor to the McGlades dropped 650 bucks a visit. LOL. Cheap-skates visiting Dutch Hill dropped 583 dollars a visit. Amazing.

  2. #3127
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Don't fear, March will be excellent, because I'll be elsewhere. Send me a case.
    Forget March, I'm back in DC for work mid next week, then taking little one to Disney the week after. Will surely dump epic-ly mid Feb. You're welcome.
    24 06

  3. #3128
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,663
    Thought you would like that. I drove by a month ago and spent $37.

  4. #3129
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    443
    Hey on Wednesday we saw this noteworthy dude at Cannon and I was wondering if anyone else has spotted him around. He was wearing a full green camo military outfit complete with helmet with tinted eye protection like a helicopter pilot or ground crew. Not camo ski gear, but a real military setup with the velcro patches, etc. He had the suspender bandolier utility belt thing, but it was outfitted with loud speakers and he was blasting techno music. The dude was just bopping around totally stoked. I am going to assume that is what he has for cold weather gear with him and just went for it.
    There are a lot of kooks at Cannon on $25 Wednesdays, but this was a glitch in the matrix.
    Snowboarding, of course.

    Also: Cannon is free this Sunday for military with ID.
    https://www.cannonmt.com/events/2019...preciation-day

  5. #3130
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bethel, Maine
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Cash registers be ringing and shit!!!

    the-backcountry-payoff
    Might be tough finding Brandon Gap from "Route 53", though.

  6. #3131
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Where the north wind blows
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    According to that piece of marketing material each visitor to the McGlades dropped 650 bucks a visit. LOL. Cheap-skates visiting Dutch Hill dropped 583 dollars a visit. Amazing.
    Even if you wanted to, I don’t believe there’s a spot between Dutch Hill and Mass to spend $583.

  7. #3132
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    mont royal
    Posts
    1,039
    Mont Royal was double black with 45 underfooot... will be triple once it sets up tonight.

  8. #3133
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    Mont Royal was double black with 45 underfooot... will be triple once it sets up tonight.
    yikes! i commend your bravery sir.
    24 06

  9. #3134
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Forget March, I'm back in DC for work mid next week, then taking little one to Disney the week after. Will surely dump epic-ly mid Feb. You're welcome.
    Flying mid-week next week could be tough. Next week's weather maps at 4 days are pretty juiced

  10. #3135
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    7,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Looking at my Southwest points.......
    Tahoe is going off. Id highly recommend coming out, except get ready to fight the repressive crowds. Id offer to show folks around but Im on the road the rest of Feb 🥵🥵

  11. #3136
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gateway to The Greens
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    According to that piece of marketing material each visitor to the McGlades dropped 650 bucks a visit. LOL. Cheap-skates visiting Dutch Hill dropped 583 dollars a visit. Amazing.
    Youre assuming that each visitor only went to the McGlades once. The case mentioned in the article suggests that visitors are making more than one trip per season.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #3137
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Back in the barrel again
    Posts
    1,714
    Wednesday is looking good in The Zone. Posse forming.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

  13. #3138
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,021

    NE Roll Call 18/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    Flying mid-week next week could be tough. Next week's weather maps at 4 days are pretty juiced
    Yep perfect time for a mega snow storm, while I have to fly for work. Why travel is scheduled for this time of year baffles me.
    24 06

  14. #3139
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    You’re assuming that each visitor only went to the McGlades once. The case mentioned in the article suggests that visitors are making more than one trip per season.
    I have been trying to find a link to the actual full survey as I find the "facts" presented utter bullshit. So far I have had no luck. I did find they put a series of counter out to track visits, so the number presented is an approximate guess of total visits. There is no way to know if one person passed by a counter(s) several times. Without a 24/7 manned service desk there is no way to know how many of the visits were by unique visitors vs repeat skiers.

    Found this amusing graphic on the SE Group website.

    $1168.42 per visitor?????


    Fd/snacks $17982 $100 per person?
    Ent/fees $23976 $140
    Trans. $29970 $175
    Rest/bars $33966 $197
    Lodging $35964 $210
    Gear/sov/rt$59940 $350

    FFS did they all get limo rides and gourmet mountain top lunches served in a portable yurt that is set up and broken down daily? With a fresh assortment of microbrews and rare tea with live music?

    It does say "Economic impact of a powder day", not a week, month or season of BC skiing.

    I really don't know how any honest group could present something like this without some sort of facts to back it up

    I will agree that there is money being spent and some of it locally. Perhaps for snacks or maybe a room. Gas is so overpriced in Rochester I never buy it there. I have also read quite a number of posts on the internet and find that the "earn your turns" group is notoriously tight with their money, often griping that a resort wants more than $2-30 for a season skinning pass, as they don't use the lifts.
    The actual dollar figure is much less and until an honest study is done this shit will continue to be presented as fact.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 5.15.13 PM.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	268844
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  15. #3140
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 5.15.13 PM.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	268844
    That's three busy-ass employees right there and Benny must've bought a condo. A quick letter to the regional US Forester might get an explanation of the methodology for sampling and surveying. Either that or you prompt him/her to pull the US Forestry Trademark off that train wreck.

    Edit: The more I look at it though, the "gear" probably skews that dramatically. How many gear shops are there really and how many touring setups are they selling on one powder day? Zero, because nobody headed here to ski a powder day is going to spend half the day getting fitted, are they?

    Triple Dip: "It does say "Economic impact of a powder day", not a week, month or season of BC skiing." The time frame would be the most helpful piece of additional info

  16. #3141
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Wednesday is looking good in The Zone. Posse forming.
    Oof. Wish I could hang. Should be great because I will be in CO.

    Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

  17. #3142
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    You’re assuming that each visitor only went to the McGlades once. The case mentioned in the article suggests that visitors are making more than one trip per season.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had.a.long conversation with the guy who's making the film. He was trying to say the.samw thing. The Dutch hill stats state clearly it s visits.

    He was then.trying to say the DH numbers didn t make sense but the BG stats possibly meant what to are implying. We did some math. 16 weeks of a study. 200 ppl a week which fits his personal observations having gone there 20 times equals 3200 visits. Fairly clear the.wording is awkward but they mean skier visits, not 3200 skiers hitting it multiple times. He admitted that the number they published more accurately represents what he may have spent in the area after 20 visits. Finally he begrudgingly admitted the number "seem off". Gee, ya think. Can t believe they published that load of garbage. I can't wait until I hear some moron quote those figures to me as fact. People are really stupid it seems. The study at Dutch was the month of January. The time frame for the Brandon Gap glqdes was January to April.

  18. #3143
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Timbers of Fennario
    Posts
    2,116
    Nice day to fly a kite as long as you use 2" cable and have carbon fiber kite rods. 148mph wind gust just after 7am recorded by mwobs this morning, highest in a decade+. Nothing that stiff slopeside at Jay but easily gusting 60+ with downslope winds. Morning walk on the golf course with the dogs was quite an adventure.

  19. #3144
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Back in the barrel again
    Posts
    1,714
    Now I have "visited", I'll account for my cash infusion to the RASTA neighborhood. Warning, it wasn't much; I bought a pound of Extra Dark Coffee, a coffee refill and a cookie at Sandy's.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

  20. #3145
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Where the north wind blows
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I had.a.long conversation with the guy who's making the film. He was trying to say the.samw thing. The Dutch hill stats state clearly it s visits.

    He was then.trying to say the DH numbers didn t make sense but the BG stats possibly meant what to are implying. We did some math. 16 weeks of a study. 200 ppl a week which fits his personal observations having gone there 20 times equals 3200 visits. Fairly clear the.wording is awkward but they mean skier visits, not 3200 skiers hitting it multiple times. He admitted that the number they published more accurately represents what he may have spent in the area after 20 visits. Finally he begrudgingly admitted the number "seem off". Gee, ya think. Can t believe they published that load of garbage. I can't wait until I hear some moron quote those figures to me as fact. People are really stupid it seems. The study at Dutch was the month of January. The time frame for the Brandon Gap glqdes was January to April.
    The person who did the study, IIRC is a grad student at UVM. This came from a presentation I attended. He placed electronic counters at the trailheads and then collected that data at various points during the season. When he visited the areas he used his observations to confirm the info from his counter. He admitted visitation numbers are not perfect. the meter does not account for non skiers, multiple passes (ie skied to the road headed up again), people passing trailhead multiple times for say forgotten items. The study is flawed. The dollar amounts are way off in regard to BC skiers. My guess somewhere deep in the tourism boards info theres a figure that on average tourists to VT spends x dollars per day. I didnt have time to question his dollar amounts or learn how they came to be.

  21. #3146
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    DownEast
    Posts
    200
    It's the best damn day of the year! For iceboating...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	268869  

  22. #3147
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    12,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Even if you wanted to, I don’t believe there’s a spot between Dutch Hill and Mass to spend $583.
    It's actually pretty easy if you stop at every mom and pop stand with a maple leaf sign out front and buy 5-10 gallons of syrup at each one. It's a good investment and it's always nice to have a few extra on hand...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

  23. #3148
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    My guess somewhere deep in the tourism boards info there’s a figure that on average tourists to VT spends x dollars per day. I didn’t have time to question his dollar amounts or learn how they came to be.
    My guess is this is true. It really calls into question the entire tourism model as o have been saying for years and getting a lot of hate for. We need to be honest about the economics and get more juice for the squeeze.

  24. #3149
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WTB
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    My guess is this is true. It really calls into question the entire tourism model as o have been saying for years and getting a lot of hate for. We need to be honest about the economics and get more juice for the squeeze.
    So what's your solution? I mean, instead of just constantly bitching about it all the time over multiple internet forums.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  25. #3150
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,663
    12` and as windy as it has ever been bob. snorth mostly on winhold at the moment. Watched a patroller on Steins with the binocs. He had a moment and stood still after for 4-5 minutes before zorroing and sideslipping the rest of the way. Trail is now closed. Wind likely blew all of the groomer till off the trails leaving corrugated ice culvert behind. Nice and cozy inside.


    An hour spent looking around found no survey results, guess I'll reach out to CTA and see if they'll give it up. The Blueberry Lake study was funny as ever with the numbers they claim though no where near as high.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 9.21.08 AM.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	268872





    .facebook.com/CatamountTrail


    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •