Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Brookings Institute has done research re westerners hunting big game in Africa. The results are mixed at best. Corruption is a major issue: Often the fee proceeds get skimmed off by corrupt power brokers and the money never gets to the indigenous people nor to poaching abatement. Bribing in commonplace. The fees are big, and that sets up perverse incentives such that often too many permits are issued to sustain healthy populations, and much of the most valuable game are raised like veal calves in cages then released just before the hunt. Here is one of Brookings Institute papers. You can find more via an internet search.

By any measure, westerners paying huge fees to hunt big game in Africa is a vestige of the colonial era (see, e.g., pics of Trump's sons' shit eating grins over their kill), and that alone is cause for an American wildlife official to avoid the practice.

Good post!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

He resigned. Thank you baby Jesus!
    https://www.idahostatesman.com/outdo...220067030.html

time for a gofundme!

I'm pretty sure he's blaming liberals right about now.

exactly!

Poor poor Blake, another privileged white guy victimized by radical liberals

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    FIFY
    Baboons, keas, humans. the world isn't safe with them in it.

Orange utang hunting?

Is that cool?
    . . .

Idaho fish and game commissioners are volunteers with no compensation and governor appointed. The private business he took over from his dad is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Idaho fish and game commissioners are volunteers with no compensation and governor appointed. The private business he took over from his dad is a different story.
    So the kids not a douche for hunting captive rare animals, paying large guilt money hoping it helps preserve the rare specie he just shot?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's blaming liberals right about now.
    I somewhat know Blake, as do a few other mags. Idaho is a small state and he was obviously a F&G Commissioner. As many of you know, I work in the hunting industry, live in Idaho and prefer to feed my family with meat I harvest myself. Most major hunting industry players in this state know or have met one another at some point or another.

That said, poor Mr. Fisher can't blame the liberals on this one. He was absolutely skewered by most Idahoans and the call for his resignation came largely from the governor's base--a very, very conservative and sometimes libertarian one--a call so overwhelming that Butch Otter had no choice despite the close old boy ties that got Blake his seat to begin with, and had to quietly call for his resignation. Idahoans are most often very conservative and vote lockstep with far right. But every now and then, they'll break rank on issues near and dear to their heart. Public land access is largely a similar dynamic here--Many Idahoans will open carry guns to school, call foul on abortion and believe every spoonful of bullshit that Trump feeds them, but threaten their public land access and you're going down. Same apparently goes with ethical hunting.

Anyhow, while I half expected our state to call this a liberal conspiracy, I'm proud how the constituents reacted. To be totally fair, Mr Fisher actually has done some good things for hunting in Idaho (backing biologists over revenue) and has been an ardent supporter of public land access, and this should be noted. But that was simply inexcusable for anyone, let alone a man in his position with his responsibility.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Do I care that some redneck shot some monkeys or giraffe or puppies? No.

The internet does not influence how I decide to allocate my care.

Why even bother giving this your energy? Boredom is a hellava drug, as is the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I somewhat know Blake, as do a few other mags. Idaho is a small state and he was obviously a F&G Commissioner. As many of you know, I work in the hunting industry, live in Idaho and prefer to feed my family with meat I harvest myself. Most major hunting industry players in this state know or have met one another at some point or another.

That said, poor Mr. Fisher can't blame the liberals on this one. He was absolutely skewered by most Idahoans and the call for his resignation came largely from the governor's base--a very, very conservative and sometimes libertarian one--a call so overwhelming that Butch Otter had no choice despite the close old boy ties that got Blake his seat to begin with, and had to quietly call for his resignation. Idahoans are most often very conservative and vote lockstep with far right. But every now and then, they'll break rank on issues near and dear to their heart. Public land access is largely a similar dynamic here--Many Idahoans will open carry guns to school, call foul on abortion and believe every spoonful of bullshit that Trump feeds them, but threaten their public land access and you're going down. Same apparently goes with ethical hunting.

Anyhow, while I half expected our state to call this a liberal conspiracy, I'm proud how the constituents reacted. To be totally fair, Mr Fisher actually has done some good things for hunting in Idaho (backing biologists over revenue) and has been an ardent supporter of public land access, and this should be noted. But that was simply inexcusable for anyone, let alone a man in his position with his responsibility.
    Yeah, I was surprised at how it played out here as well. Glad it was taken care of swiftly and relatively without controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    So the kids not a douche for hunting captive rare animals, paying large guilt money hoping it helps preserve the rare specie he just shot?
    No man. He deserves what he gets. Guy made some mistakes.

I'm here to point out that those calling for his job and his pay (and a gov retirement) in a commissioner position hopefully understand that at a state level in Idaho won't get much. He is a volunteer in the commissioner position. His private business is his business and livelihood and that is where it might hurt. He's a governor appointee. But, he'll suffer on the private side. CS, I've always thought you were rad but you read into a lot of shit.

And as Rev said, he's spent a lot of time for public land conservation. This is weird. I have no defense for the guy. He fucked up and I hope this isn't how he regularly behaves. Apparently, it might be though. His father has a conservation award named after the family crest. I hope there's redemption but I don't know what could pull him out of the shit he's in. Shit he's deservedly in it, mustache or not.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 10-16-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post

Very interesting, thanks.

I feel like this is kinda the redneck version of that science teacher who fed a puppy to his snapping turtle in front of students. Yeah, not technically illegal, but really, what reaction were you expecting? "I shot a who whole family of X!" is just not going to play well unless X is roaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Very interesting, thanks.

I feel like this is kinda the redneck version of that science teacher who fed a puppy to his snapping turtle in front of students. Yeah, not technically illegal, but really, what reaction were you expecting? "I shot a who whole family of X!" is just not going to play well unless X is roaches.
    #roachlivesmatter

You gotta be a really good shot to get the baby ones.

Could probably get mom and child with just one shot if you catch her nursing the baby.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Not 100% positive that roaches nurse their young. But I guess if you waited until they were taking a family picture or having Thanksgiving dinner you could get the whole fam with a minimum of wasted ammo.

Actually pretty easy, just don't lead them as much.

https://gfycat.com/dismalnearboto

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

but BA boons were da hadest to catch. cunning...cunning anamal....GOOT eysite

"Can't you see..."

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

disagree

hunters that arent steve rinella is piece of shit
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I’m definitely pro hunting of game for sustenance and conservation. However, that photo hits a little too close to a serial killer. Not to mention he looks like Val Kilmer in tombstone. Like most apex animals, you attack me, you are a goner.
    If we mutually agree to leave each other alone, I won’t hurt you either.
    Messed up really the way that baby baboons head is cocked back. Disturbing really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I’m definitely pro hunting of game for sustenance and conservation. However, that photo hits a little too close to a serial killer. Not to mention he looks like Val Kilmer in tombstone. Like most apex animals, you attack me, you are a goner.
    If we mutually agree to leave each other alone, I won’t hurt you either.
    Messed up really the way that baby baboons head is cocked back. Disturbing really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He should have put little hats on them, and a cig hanging from their mouths.... That would have been totally cute.

That pic is ghoulish.