WTB: Ski-mountaineering skis

Hey all, looking for some ski mountaineering skis, in the veins of G3 Findr, mid-180s length. To be paired with Atomic Backland Carbon boot, stiff and light is the goal.

Intended use is long days on steep exposed lines. I normally ski OG bodacious when I'm in bounds so I like a ski that demands to be driven. Will be using this ski in the wasatch so weight is not of the most concern because approaches are not of the longest variety, but certainly looking to keep it down but with a more heavy focus on a confidence inspiring ski when falling isn't an option.

Budget isn't huge, snow making doesn't really give me tons of cash to throw around.

Would be down for skis only or skis+bindings or a whole setup with skins all depending on the right price.

Help your friendly ski-climbing bum out!

Salomon mtn explore 95 or vwerks katana

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    mid-180s length
    mid-180s is quite long for a pure skimo ski (although that begs the definition of "skimo.") How much do you weigh?

I like a ski that demands to be driven
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Salomon mtn explore 95 or vwerks katana
    I luv my Mtn Explore 95s, but they are easy turning forgiving skis and certainly do not demand to be driven, which IMO is a good thing when touring with lightweight boots.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    mid-180s is quite long for a pure skimo ski. How much do you weigh?

Neither are pure skimo skis. I luv my Mtn Explore 95s, but they are easy turning forgiving skis and certainly do not demand to be driven.
    I'm 180 or so and 6 foot.

Not quite looking pure skimo....... Like definitely not looking for weight weenie setup, definitely aggressive challenging lines is the goal. More so the goal is a ski that would ski well with the backland boot, and serve me through the winter, I'll probably end up with a shorter skinnier ski come spring when real ski mountaineering season starts.

. . . I'll probably end up with a shorter skinnier ski come spring when real ski mountaineering season starts.
    Good. Having a mid-winter touring ski and a spring/skimo ski is the way to do it. You might want to amend your request to ask for "touring ski" recos. Or not because here are scores of threads re various touring skis.

Although you prefer a demanding ski for lift-served, most people are happier with a more forgiving ski for touring with lightweight boots.

Keep your eye on Gear Swap. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Good. Having a mid-winter touring ski and a spring/skimo ski is the way to do it. You might want to amend your request to ask for "touring ski" recos. Or not because here are scores of threads re various touring skis.

Although you prefer a demanding ski for lift-served, most people are happier with a more forgiving ski for touring with lightweight boots.

Keep your eye on Gear Swap. Good luck
    Yahhhhh, it's a bit of a toss up I want different boots for a chargy touring ski but with the backlands I feel like I should go for the ski-mo ski first and get a chargy touring ski when I've got a chargy touring boot.

For now I might just tour the bodacious I got with frames when I want to get real sendy

Even in the spring i would not go under 95. Because no matter how you time your ascent, you will still end up skiing slush, at least for part of the descent.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Pm sent