Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ultralight bindings: Independent heel Pins vs U Springs (Alpinist vs Haute Route)

So I'm debating the Marker Alpinist 9/12 vs a pricier ATK Haute Route 2

The ATK is slightly lighter and has independent heel pins (so the RV is full adjustable).

The Alpinist is heavier and significantly cheaper while having a U spring on the back which Marker says comes in either DIN 8 (on the Alpinist 9, although reviews have said anywhere from 7.5-9) or RV 11 (on the Alpinist 12 but reviews have said anywhere from 10-12).

I read the Blister Review on these two bindings (they were reviewing the Raider 2.0 which is basically a HR 2.0 without brakes I think). Supposed the U-Spring pins wear out changing the RV (lowering it?) over time. Supposedly the Marker has 4mm of spring loaded elastic travel which makes it a teeny bit damper and more reliable RV under dynamic loading. It is a bit frustrating because I'd like a RV of 9-10, but I hate to pay the ATK price.

Do U springs also damage boots? Does the RV drop with time as the U spring wears?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Do U springs also damage boots?
    No, based on my limited experience.

Does the RV drop with time as the U spring wears?
    Maybe in theory, but properly spec'd spring steel should survive tens of thousands of cycles without losing measurable RV.

Hey the u spring ones, lighter and simpler

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

if you want to geek out, there is a blister gear podcast where they interview guys from G3 who speak to your questions and also talk about the Zed binding. if i remember correctly their consensus is yes to your questions, hence why they went with independent heel pins. or at least part of the reason. people can correct me if i'm wrong.

The fixed release tension and inability to set different values for horiziontal/vertical means I won't be using this style of bindings unless I take up Rando racing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The fixed release tension and inability to set different values for horiziontal/vertical means I won't be using this style of bindings unless I take up Rando racing
    In some cases they are pretty damn simple to swap out. Salomnos MTN explore has 3 springs it ships with, are easy to swap, and are independent from the lateral release.

so how do I crank in 1 more din like setting vertically than horizontally ?

if I can't do that I have to slow down or I get pre-release

Ultralight bindings: Independent heel Pins vs U Springs (Alpinist vs Haute Route)

I’m pretty sure my Dynafit Vert ST’s have a U shape and my ATK Raider 12’s have the 2 pins. As Steve said the U shape doesn’t hurt the boots in any way.
    The main difference that Mrs. Plug and I felt right off with the ATK’s is the lack of play and the accompanying ticking sound from the heel that we get from the Dynafits. The pins with the spring between stay in contact with the pocket on the heel of the boot and give a more alpine binding feel.
    I wish BD or another distributor would carry the whole ATK line in the US in case we need parts or something. That said, the ATK’s haven’t needed a thing after 2 full seasons.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I’m pretty sure my Dynafit Vert ST’s have a U shape
    Nope

Oh yeah. Well then, the fitting of the pins on the ATK is somehow more fitting.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Lateral release (toe on an alpine binding) is fully adjustable on a lot of the U spring bindings. It is just forward lean (heel on alpine bindings) that is fixed by the U spring which is often interchangable.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I wish BD or another distributor would carry the whole ATK line in the US in case we need parts or something.
    BD is offering some of the ATK line this year under their own branding.

Hi. @Summit,

I'm trying hard not to be a Marker hater, but seriously, why would a first year Marker binding be on your short list?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Hi. @Summit,

I'm trying hard not to be a Marker hater, but seriously, why would a first year Marker binding be on your short list?

... Thom
    More importantly...why isn't salomon's offering on it? It's been out for a couple years and is well reviewed and liked.

@galibier_numero_un @doebedoe

Marker does have the rather successful Kingpin going on, so not their first foray. The Alpinist seems pretty simple. I liked the flush back and slight elastic travel that the Blister review said skied a little better (less harsh) than the other Ultralights, even the ATK. And the price point is right.

I remember my old Dyna Comforts... and their harshness and vagueness. I figure the Solly/Atomic would be about the same and its heavier than the Marker... almost twice the weight of the ATK HR 2.0. In fact they are within 110g ea of Vipecs without brakes, and then why not just ski Vipecs which ski waaaay better and are safer. Or the Zeds for the same weight as the Solly/Atomic?
    Last edited by Summit; 10-15-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Lateral release (toe on an alpine binding) is fully adjustable on a lot of the U spring bindings. It is just forward lean (heel on alpine bindings) that is fixed by the U spring which is often interchangable.
    What does alpine anything have to do with talking about how AT bindings release ?

I thot we were talking about the release values on AT bindings and how with the U springs they leave out the abilty to adj the binding to your skiing, I know I was cuz I would rather adj the binding to my skiing instead of my skiing to the binding

What does alpine anything have to do with talking about how AT bindings release ?

I thot we were talking about the release values on AT bindings and how with the U springs they leave out the abilty to adj the binding to your skiing, I know I was cuz I would rather adj the binding to my skiing instead of my skiing to the binding
    You are adjusting the binding with the three different springs.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Marker does have the rather successful Kingpin going on, so not their first foray.
    Lol wut?
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I know that ^^ but how do I independantly adjust lateral & vertical release on u-spring bindings?

on my verts and rads ( I think comforts were the same?) instead of replacing a spring I just turn that big aluminium screw on the back of the binding using a quarter to my lateral release value which is 7 and verticaly I turn that little screw on the back of the binding to 8 which keeps me from pre-releasing

can I even get a 7 u-spring and how do I adj for vertical release of 8 if it is at all possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Lol wut?
    yeah the Kingpin has a recall going, a local bro had 5 failures, i got some other buddies who had 5 breakdowns in 1 weekend its at the point the local shop just fixes the stuff no questions asked without bothering to contact Marker like they did early on

And then the shop guy 400kms east sez they only had 1 failure

nobody can come up with a failure pattern

The pattern of failure is that they're Markers.

Marker has had a long and idiotic history of failures and shit design and engineering since at least the late 1980's.
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

So what? The failure history is all one needs to know.

I know that ^^ but how do I independantly adjust lateral & vertical release on u-spring bindings?

on my verts and rads ( I think comforts were the same?) instead of replacing a spring I just turn that big aluminium screw on the back of the binding using a quarter to my lateral release value which is 7 and verticaly I turn that little screw on the back of the binding to 8 which keeps me from pre-releasing

can I even get a 7 u-spring and how do I adj for vertical release of 8 if it is at all possible ?
    Dyna SSL2 has rotating heel post with adjustable lateral din, plus the fixed (upward release) din u-spring

I believe a few others are like this, too

ok so they are fixing vertical release and adjust lateral

"Lateral release value setting from 6-12 in heel. Vertical release value is fixed to roughly 10."

from ^^ an MEC add

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    So what? The failure history is all one needs to know.
    Don't you like to know how things work ?

or don't work ?

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    if you want to geek out, there is a blister gear podcast where they interview guys from G3 who speak to your questions and also talk about the Zed binding. if i remember correctly their consensus is yes to your questions, hence why they went with independent heel pins. or at least part of the reason. people can correct me if i'm wrong.
    That was a good podcast.

Go to 41:00 here for the details:

http://blistergearreview.com/feature...the-new-g3-zed