Price police: is this a good deal?

Hey ya'll, I'm looking for a good FS do-it-all bike (incl. ~3-day bikepacking) that will work for me in Austin and around the country. I saw this on the CL, and I'm a bit confused how to value it and wanted to see what the collective says. It looks like it's actually a 2014 Giant Advanced SX, but not a lot of the stock parts.

I've got a Salsa Horsethief right now, but I've been wanting to try a 27.5 bike and the Salsa is a bit big in a Large.

Here's the listing: https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...720413178.html

Some more pics he sent me: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kymss8dz8...1yH2jAV0a?dl=0

Not a particularly good deal. The wheels throw the valuation off a bit, but nice wheels don't make up for mediocre suspension, crappy drivetrain, and dated geometry. There are better bikes out there for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not a particularly good deal. The wheels throw the valuation off a bit, but nice wheels don't make up for mediocre suspension, crappy drivetrain, and dated geometry. There are better bikes out there for that price.
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. Really tempted by those ENVEs!

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2454782/

Maybe this could fit your needs? We can discuss the price, if you're interested

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Update, he's offered to let it go for $1350. Thoughts?

How outdated is the geometry really? Will it really suck to climb on? I'm not super knowledgeable with mountain bikes, and I've only ridden a few.

Do you really need FS? Modern hardtail looks better suited and more versatile for the places that you're going to ride. Steel is even better. But that's my opinion and it all depends on your preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Do you really need FS? Modern hardtail looks better suited and more versatile for the places that you're going to ride. Steel is even better. But that's my opinion and it all depends on your preferences.

yup. Get a steel hardtail. get one that can run both 27.5+ and 29 wheels and you can have the cush of the plus tires to get rowdy or 29 for long xc and bike packing rides.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    yup. Get a steel hardtail. get one that can run both 27.5+ and 29 wheels and you can have the cush of the plus tires to get rowdy or 29 for long xc and bike packing rides.
    That's what I'm trading my Stumpjumper for. And it's better suited for bike backpacking

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post

Riding in Austin an FS bike is really nice to have since it's so rocky - elsewhere maybe not so much.

I guess I'm letting the emotions get to me a bit - I want those ENVEs.

$1350 seems reasonable. Geo should be fine for climbing - it's descending where newer geo would mostly help.

I'd say that bike, at that price, would be fine. Not great, but fine. And that's assuming everything is in decent shape. For ~$2k you could get a substantially nicer bike that'd probably go a bit longer before it felt clapped, but that's a decent amount more money.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    $1350 seems reasonable. Geo should be fine for climbing - it's descending where newer geo would mostly help.

I'd say that bike, at that price, would be fine. Not great, but fine. And that's assuming everything is in decent shape. For ~$2k you could get a substantially nicer bike that'd probably go a bit longer before it felt clapped, but that's a decent amount more money.
    What's different about new geo? It seems most newer bikes have a steeper HT, steeper ST, shorter chainstays, anything else?

My plan for this bike would be to take the ENVEs to the all-road and get some alu wheels to beat up. Then swap a 1x11 SLX setup I have lying around on it, and put the 1x10 on an old beater hardtail that I'm going to sell.

If I end up liking the bike, I might consider upgrading the suspension bits too.